Trans-Maro part 2 My Camaro-to-Trans Am front end conversion plan

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
the telling part is when you said this:

that i can afford, and that isn't crap.

your project will require quite a bit of money to do right.
selling my car i'd probably get 6500ish, to get another car i'd want i'd have to add at least around 1500 (8000), and at that point i'd have another car, and be out 1500.

to do this, I probably will not spend more than 1500 on the roller/donor car. And depending on the car i get, i will probably be able to sell whatever i don't need and make back a lot/all/or even more than what i spent.

there really isn't any money required to do this outside of buying the parts. and i'll be able to do exactly what i want, since im now going to do half and half, trans front, camaro rear
Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wanna trade? lol

I understand your love for Camaros, but your bird looks so damn good!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

^thanks man. I really just want to do this for the fun of it now, i think it's going to be an amazing project for me, and i think i'll have a lot of fun with it. I like the way the trans am looks and all, but i'm always open to new things.

in weighing the two options, i actually come out way ahead if i just swap everything to a roller as opposed to just selling and buying a camaro. I'm pretty much on board 100% with this plan and i'm hoping to get it rolling within the next couple weeks.

and i will be doing a few performance/suspension things at the same time since i'll have everything apart anyways. I'm going to be adding ceramic coated Pacesetter LT headers, torque converter, small cam, SFC's and I'll be swapping in new front shocks as well.

At this time, the plan as far as the body goes, is to use the camaro rear/trans am front like the transmaro car. The differences from that car will be: SS spoiler, regular hatch, and i'll probably be using gfx, but a different combination than he used, probably factory RS gfx in the rear, with factory t/a sideskirts since they flow with the front, and i think they should look pretty good with the rear as well. though i might skip all the gfx and just do the CME, it'll depend on how the body's flow together. I'll need to find out what to do with the doors though, that seems like the only hard part. I'll also be going to the targa next year when 6LE winishes them up.

i'm getting ready to make a few calls now to try and get my camaro
Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think on the transmaro he merged the two doors in the center somehow. There were a couple of pics in the thread somewhere.

Edit: Here it is, post 417
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...nsmaro-21.html

Last edited by McNord; 10-07-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:S seriously?! dont plz 1st your car looks sick! 2nd you could get a wrecked camaro and work on it just for fun and save tons of cash! 3rd WHY!..good luck with wtever you gna do tho.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I see ur point op.. I guess if I was into it.. I could see how it would be fun.. I love the way ur car looks but it's ur car and ur car only.. Good luck and keep us updated with the custom work
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry... but IMO.... the Trans Am looks better...... front and rear!!!!!

If you must do this project... and I mean must... get the t/a parts and build your roller Camaro... don't destroy your t/a for this project.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

^i'm using the trans am's engine/tranny/suspension/interior and everything else, so there'd be no point in buying all of body the parts , i might as well just use what i have and sell what i don't need.

c'mon guys. this is a red 1998 NON-WS6 trans am with 162,XXX miles, its the most basic/popular trans am there is, i'm pretty sure red was the most produced color. in reality, there is nothing too special about it. it looks nice, but there's nothing extraordinary about it. I figure this motor and all should last me till i'm done with school, and at that point i'll probably consider doing an engine swap and all to something better, since after doing all of this custom work, i'll probably want to hold onto it for a while.

if you think my car looks nice, and actually stands apart from the million other red t/a's, i really appreciate that. that was my goal, just like it was over the 4 years i had my camaro, which i feel was an absolutely gorgeous car. I'm just now shifting to a new thing, put a little faith/trust in my appearance mind set, i guarantee you guys are going to like the final product.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 10-08-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like someone already has a photoshop renderings.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Veteran

should be picking up my roller as early as the next few days. got a couple good prospects lined up, just seeing who gives the best price for what they're selling.

should be spending between 5-700
Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Sounds like someone already has a photoshop renderings.
no renderings, but i'm good with getting a pretty accurate mental picture before doing things.

it'll look good. trying to figure out what color i'm going to go with now. I'm going to go through the roller and get it as clean as possible, and paint a lot. Gonna get the underbody cleaned up and sprayed, and the engine bay is going to be done nicely as well. I'll probably do all black in the engine bay regardless of what color i choose for the car though, nothing beats a nice clean, black engine bay with a few nice chrome pieces.

It's kind of funny, this whole, crazy, body conversion idea just came from nothing yesterday, and i'm running with it as fast as i can. I'm telling you, this was meant to be, I just went out for Chinese food tonight... check my fortune...

crazy right?!! as soon as i read that i got a big grin on my face.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

don't forget to add paint to your budget.
no small chunk of change, if you have it done right.

I'm sure there will be other considerations also.

good luck with it.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks. paints a finishing thing, so i'm not extremely worried about that at this point. although my budget should be good for it.

should be picking up my roller from its owner in the next couple days. he said 600 but i'll probably get it lower than that. can't wait
Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I always did like that Transmaro, except for the ugly hatch he put on. I can't wait to see some progress pics!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP, your car looks freaking sexy!
Dont do it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

i think you sould keep your TA. Get your roller camaro.. get a 6.0L from a pick and pull buy a rebuilt 6 spd *if thats your thing* and do your conversion w/ a superhawk hood and ta front end but for the love of god see if you can get that 6LE wide body kit done to the camaro asap!!..
it definately would look different and i do like the look of the two cars blended together and maby a flat black? Also were you going to keep the pop up headlights from the TA or go w/ the conversion LED set up? I know its not cheap * $1500* ish but if you are doing a custom car anyways...w/ a splitter and targa conversion that has the potential to be bad ***.. maby some HP Evo's?
Is the car going to be primarily a show car? or a trailer queen? a DD?
Also if you MUST GUT that beautifull TA for its drivetrain maby you could do a 408 build for it? and there are lots of parts for 98-02 TA's out there on ebay, craigslist, the FS Thread here etc...so maby you could skimp on the cheaper side to get what you need since you will be doing body work anyways. That way you wouldn't have to risk scuffing paint, nicks, scratches etc to that beautifull TA you have.
Since projects tend to almost always cost more than what you budget for them, maby you could score the 6.0L from a pick and pull and set it aside while you do the body/ engine bay/ interior work to your project so when you do decide to swap over drivetrains you would still have a solid core/ long block to put in the TA?
just an idea..but i love the fact you have got the stones to pull this off..
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Ive wanted to do this except in reverse. TA rear SS front
Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, so is there anything wrong with the t/a? What will happen to it when its stripped of all this stuff? IMO, you can do what you want and itll be cool to see ethe end product, but I would have used 2 donors, 1 t/a and 1 camaro.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Fuggin do it!! forget about the haters. If u need a T/A roller my friend has one. EDIT: wait I think u want a camaro roller?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

^yup, i need a camaro roller

Originally Posted by WSsick
Wait, so is there anything wrong with the t/a? What will happen to it when its stripped of all this stuff? IMO, you can do what you want and itll be cool to see ethe end product, but I would have used 2 donors, 1 t/a and 1 camaro.
nothing wrong with the trans am, just feel like doing something with it. I like doing stuff appearance wise, and quite frankly, this car bores the hell out of me. Since i'm using the engine and everything else from my car, there's no use in buying a second donor trans am

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i think you sould keep your TA. Get your roller camaro.. get a 6.0L from a pick and pull buy a rebuilt 6 spd *if thats your thing* and do your conversion w/ a superhawk hood and ta front end but for the love of god see if you can get that 6LE wide body kit done to the camaro asap!!..
I'd love to do an engine swap and all, but i really don't have the money to do that right now, and do it the way i'd like. That'll come at a later time. As for the hood, i'm not sure what will be the final hood for it, if VFN changes the design of their new hood to come without center vents, i'd get that. but as of now, it'll just get the aftermarket ws6 hood or the sleek beak i still have in storage.

the 6LE widebody kits still has a lot of time before its finalized i believe

Also were you going to keep the pop up headlights from the TA or go w/ the conversion LED set up? I know its not cheap * $1500* ish but if you are doing a custom car anyways...w/ a splitter and targa conversion that has the potential to be bad ***.. maby some HP Evo's?
keeping the pop up lights, i personally like the looks, and i've never had any issues with them. And i'll be doing the HID conversion pretty soon though. Rims i'm on the fence about, that'll heavily depend on paint color, but the RPM 505's are up there on my list (similar to EVOS).

Is the car going to be primarily a show car? or a trailer queen? a DD?
Also if you MUST GUT that beautifull TA for its drivetrain maby you could do a 408 build for it? and there are lots of parts for 98-02 TA's out there on ebay, craigslist, the FS Thread here etc...so maby you could skimp on the cheaper side to get what you need since you will be doing body work anyways. That way you wouldn't have to risk scuffing paint, nicks, scratches etc to that beautifull TA you have.
this will be my daily driver, like i said, i plan to do an engine swap down the road, not now though. I will be getting some extra firebird fenders and doors instead of using mine. I'm going to get the rollers' body all ready before all the major stuff transfers over. the hard parts of putting the cars together will be the doors and the front fenders, so i'll do that before anything else. It's not going to be a simple direct swap, they're going to need some modifying, so i'll use junk yard pieces for that work.

Since projects tend to almost always cost more than what you budget for them, maby you could score the 6.0L from a pick and pull and set it aside while you do the body/ engine bay/ interior work to your project so when you do decide to swap over drivetrains you would still have a solid core/ long block to put in the TA?
just an idea..but i love the fact you have got the stones to pull this off..
this project will probably cost more initially, than what i plan for, but by the time i've sold all of the extra stuff left over i should actually be in the positive. Outside of the money for the roller and the extra fenders and doors i buy, the extra costs will be minimum (various tools that will be needed, etc). It is my own time and labor going into this, so it's not like i'm paying someone to do it.

I was all set to pick up my roller today for 400, but some issues came up and the deal fell through. so my search continues...

Quick Reply: Trans-Maro part 2 My Camaro-to-Trans Am front end conversion plan