Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Distinguishing an OEM WS6 Hood From Replica

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always thought fitment and alignment were two different things.. fitment required modification or at least some sort of altering of the part... alignment just requires your time to put it on straight. but then again, any car/part could be funky i guess...
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
i always thought fitment and alignment were two different things.. fitment required modification or at least some sort of altering of the part... alignment just requires your time to put it on straight. but then again, any car/part could be funky i guess...
Could be a distinction, but not one I usually make. Aftermarket hoods certainly fit on a Firebird, they just need to be properly aligned and it usually takes a good deal longer than factory. Just making the point that you can't just slap the four bolts on a factory hood, shut it, and be golden. It could take hours of tinkering (took me two days of tinkering) to get even a factory hood to line up correctly.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

i agree with you... hell, if you took your hood off and then turned right around and put it back on, you would have to work with it to get the gaps right again.. honestly, i dont think i have EVER seen and aftermarket that fit like factory... but i think the op question was how to tell if you have a knock off or factory/dealer installed hood... there seems to be some debate as to the meaning of OEM now days.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
i agree with you... hell, if you took your hood off and then turned right around and put it back on, you would have to work with it to get the gaps right again.. honestly, i dont think i have EVER seen and aftermarket that fit like factory... but i think the op question was how to tell if you have a knock off or factory/dealer installed hood... there seems to be some debate as to the meaning of OEM now days.
Oh I know, but I felt that the original poster's question was already correctly answered. I was just commenting on teamfbody's post. I'd hate to see someone put a stock WS6 hood on and say "Man, this thing doesn't look like it fits right....it must be aftermarket" and then pass on it. If I went by that, I would have gotten rid of my SS hood!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

its all good... i just want to know if he has a legit hood or aftermarket... either could work i guess but theres just something about having an actual gm part.... wonder why he hasnt said anything...
Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking over th hood more today. Thanks for the info ANTICOP. The hood still has the block off plate behind the grills to prevent water from getting to the filter so i am assuming its real. In you option is it worth drilling out the rivets and removing the block off plate or should I keep it for safe measure?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kb274868123
I was looking over th hood more today. Thanks for the info ANTICOP. The hood still has the block off plate behind the grills to prevent water from getting to the filter so i am assuming its real. In you option is it worth drilling out the rivets and removing the block off plate or should I keep it for safe measure?
Was THE first mod to my WS6. After driving in the rain with a paper filter, I never saw any problems or really any serious wetness on the filter. I DOES allow a straighter air path to the filter. You'll want the ram air radiator support since the front opening is bigger that the standard. PM me if you need one, mine's painted silver and smooth.

Quick Reply: Distinguishing an OEM WS6 Hood From Replica