Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

clearcote burn thru question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default clearcote burn thru question

On a friend’s car, which is a 2 stage factory original gm paint, it appears the passenger's door seems to have been re-cleared at some point. This fact is evident by a seam which appears where the factory door molding was removed and a clear "seam" is evident. Its appears someone burnt thru the last coat of clear in one small spot about the size of a half dollar and hit the previous layer of clear, but other than the lines dividing the two layers of clear in a cloud like object, is there any way to repair this area other than to prep the surface and reshoot the entire panel?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
On a friend’s car, which is a 2 stage factory original gm paint, it appears the passenger's door seems to have been re-cleared at some point. This fact is evident by a seam which appears where the factory door molding was removed and a clear "seam" is evident. Its appears someone burnt thru the last coat of clear in one small spot about the size of a half dollar and hit the previous layer of clear, but other than the lines dividing the two layers of clear in a cloud like object, is there any way to repair this area other than to prep the surface and reshoot the entire panel?
First thing to understand is that all paint (unless its a classic original) is atleast 2 stage (base/clear) you can easily fix without spraying the whole panel. The easiest cheat is to mix you clear and spray the bad area then dump clear out of cup (dont clean cup or gun) put some med reducer in the cup and spray again. Basically this is blend the clear into the old without painting whole panel.

Blend requires some talent but here is how it kindof works. general mix for clear is 4 parts clear 1 part hardner. Blending is 4 parts reducer to about 1 part already mixed clear> This does change from painter to painter
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
First thing to understand is that all paint (unless its a classic original) is atleast 2 stage (base/clear) you can easily fix without spraying the whole panel. The easiest cheat is to mix you clear and spray the bad area then dump clear out of cup (dont clean cup or gun) put some med reducer in the cup and spray again. Basically this is blend the clear into the old without painting whole panel.

Blend requires some talent but here is how it kindof works. general mix for clear is 4 parts clear 1 part hardner. Blending is 4 parts reducer to about 1 part already mixed clear> This does change from painter to painter
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be careful doing it that way. The only reason i say this is because over time the area could become apparent again. Ive seen this happen some when trying to melt in edges with reducer. See if your paint manufacturer that you are gonna use has some sort of blending agent that you spray on to melt in the edges. It's made for small damage repair and works well if you follow the directions
Old 10-19-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by freefallen.1

Wrong. It could of been repainted with single stage. Just cause single stage was used on classics doesn't mean the person that repainted it wanted to get lazy and single statge it.

They make a blender in a rattle can. You prep the area. Keep it small throw the color on the area. Clear it, then use the blender at the edges of clear. Then you can wheel it when its dry.

Kinda hard to explain online but its much easier seeing it done.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

depends on the paint line
I tried to get some blender for Martin Seynor mid grade line
and they dont offer it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

If it's a metallic color then its more than likely bc/cc. You would be able to tell if it was single stage metallic because more than likely the metallics wouldn't look even. Besides noone these days even sprays a metallic single stage. I don't even know of a paint manufacturer that offers a metallic single stage because of the difficultly getting the metallics to appear right when sprayed
Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right if its a metallic, which he never stated...
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

1000-1200 paper with little water and orbital 6" sander... go slow and stop if you see color slurry... as long as the slurry is milky white you are only in clear... once you have a smooth surface, cc it... i have gotten away with krylon clear on some smaller panels or corners then buff them...

Old 10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Non metallic, pic to follow...
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcalus
Wrong. It could of been repainted with single stage. Just cause single stage was used on classics doesn't mean the person that repainted it wanted to get lazy and single statge it.

They make a blender in a rattle can. You prep the area. Keep it small throw the color on the area. Clear it, then use the blender at the edges of clear. Then you can wheel it when its dry.

Kinda hard to explain online but its much easier seeing it done.
UMM I am right. I am going off of the information that he said the clear was uneven. This implies 2 stage atleast. Also any professional painter will use the way I described not some low budget "blender." Exsepcailly rattle can. I have been painting a long time and never used a preblender.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002nbmss
If it's a metallic color then its more than likely bc/cc. You would be able to tell if it was single stage metallic because more than likely the metallics wouldn't look even. Besides noone these days even sprays a metallic single stage. I don't even know of a paint manufacturer that offers a metallic single stage because of the difficultly getting the metallics to appear right when sprayed
Yeah Nason makes a single stage and you are right it does not lay very well. I agree getting the metallic to flop properly would be difficult.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Freefallin1 and I seem to be on the same page on alot of things! Why in the hell would you ever use a rattle can clear on a car? I don't even use a rattle can clear in door jambs which is proven to be effective by BASF who spends millions a year on product innovations and technology. I just don't do it because I stand by my work and I am not about to take a chance on my name getting a bad reputation just bc I used some cheap materials
Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Keep in mind guys, the guy is just looking to patch it up until he can save up to get his car repainted, not pass off the car as pristine new time capsule.

Here is a pic, very hard to photograph but you can see the dividing line just under the reflection of the brinkman light...
Attached Thumbnails clearcote burn thru question-img_5468.jpg  

Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 10-24-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Keep in mind guys, the guy is just looking to patch it up until he can save up to get his car repainted, not pass off the car as pristine new time capsule.

Here is a pic, very hard to photograph but you can see the dividing line just under the reflection of the brinkman light...
You are correct but people should still give the proper tech and know how. That is why people go to this section. To ask knowledgeable people how to repair or replace something. Not get garbage advice. I am sure he still wants the job done so it looks good and will last.