Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

quarter panel too fubar'd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quarter panel too fubar'd?

I found a 04 gto for a good price.. however, the quarter panel is pretty dented up and I'm hoping by the photos some body guys can tell me if it can be repaired or not.. I'm not sure if paintless dent could pull it out. any input, idea's would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails quarter panel too fubar'd?-gto.jpg   quarter panel too fubar'd?-gto1.jpg  
Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

i would skin the door or straighten it but deffinatly the quarter needs replaced it can be fix with time and right person. i look at a job like this if i replace how much mud is gonna be in it and if i repair how much mud
Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

do you think that panel could be pulled out a little better and then mud that? I looked up a panel and thats about 600 bucks... I'm planning on making the whole car flat black as well.

he's asking 6k and it only has 45k miles. soo if I can pull this off with 2-3k i'm still sitting pretty good.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ANYthing can be fixed with the skill and know how, id like to see another couple pics focusing on the door.

it depends do you need to drive this car right away? do you have the skills and money to fix or replace quarter panel? orr have someone fix or replace. im a body man, and had a car on the side that i worked on everynight, car worth 8,000 i got it for 500 bucks, it ran down guardrails on either side. i straigthened the doors and quarters, and replaced the 3/4 nose.
youd be surprised with a little patience what you can work out, somethings look worse than what they really are.

but again i dont know if your a body man

as for paint less dent repair...................no they cant fix that
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by melon07
do you think that panel could be pulled out a little better and then mud that? I looked up a panel and thats about 600 bucks... I'm planning on making the whole car flat black as well.

he's asking 6k and it only has 45k miles. soo if I can pull this off with 2-3k i'm still sitting pretty good.
if your gonna straighten it get inside, take out the rear interior panel to get access to the quarter and same thing with the rear half in the trunk and carefuly start working it, DO NOT go in there with a hammer and start banging youll end up with a nasssty high spot
Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

I'll email him for some more pictures.. Just wanted to know how bad it is before I traveled to see it...

As for doing it myself I'm not sure. I worked at a shop for about a year and did all the sanding work. Bondo and pulling dents was something my boss did. If anything I'm willing to get it close enough to were a real body guy can straighten it out
Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Here's an idea......Buy it if it runs good, spend 1-1.5k on another vehichle (V-6 firebird, S-10, fox body mustang?), then swap the entire drive train into that That thing even has an IRS set-up, it's got alot of great parts for a swap project instead of fixing it.

Plus you can part out what's left and maybe build up another 2-3k to spend on your project.

My 2 cents.......
Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all your input ... I think I'm going to go for it and I've been reading a lot about vynl wraps. I'll buy another door and straighten the quarter the best I can. I'll have a body man bondo my mistakes if i can't make it straight and then wrap the whole car in flat black.. People have been doing full cars for under $200 by themselves.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

That right there looks like skin damage. I've not looked on the inside of a Goat to know how the inside panels look but from what you have posted, it looks like skin damage and that can be fixed with the right person doing it and not someone out to make a quick buck. Also if there's no frame damage and it's not on the title that it's been hit or wrecked, then who has to know it was ever fixed for body damage and that you didn't just have the car repainted cause of the other owners lack of care to the car?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

yes you should really have someone straighten that out as best as possible bc you see almost every flat with flat black paint so be ready but if there is a way to replace that quarter go for it
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i dunno about the rest of the techs on this site but that quater is fucked!!! and it looks like ya need a door skin too, and for you to say can pdr fix that tells me you have no experience in the trade

and for techs a REAL tech to say oh i can fix that then your sadly mistaken, you would have more bondo on that quater and more time on a frame rack and more labor when all ya gotta do is pre pull the quater, fix the outer wheel house, pre pull the door

remove all parts need and all glass, cut the quater off, remove all parts for the door, remove the door, skin the door, prep the new panle, do your section in the sail panle, panle bond where needed, and your done

this is a 4 day job TOPS!!! door skin=1day/no bondo on the edges
removing of all parts couple of hours
prepulling metal/ 2 hours MAX!!
cuting off quater/preping and cutting new quater a full day , EVEN A JUNK YARD QUATER>

so 4 days max for this job, its a easy fix, i suggest you dont touch the car let a shop do it, if ya like the car buy sink the money into it and flip it
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

your right I have no experience. I didn't mean pdr could fully fix the dent but at least reduce the amount of bondo..

any idea what a quarter panel would cost for a shop to do it? just for them to cut, replace, and weld. Like I said before I just need it straight so I can wrap it. I'm trying to keep the body repair as low as possible so I can put more in the motor
Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can find that door and color on a nation wide junk yard search engine... car-parts.com for one.. As for the qtr u could try to massage it out and mud it some but you really should install a new qtr on that.. Honestly its not that bad of a job to do..
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like sai above either re skin the door or find a used door somewhere and for the quarter panel i would replace rather than try to fix it
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Get the quarter replaced and enjoy the good deal you got on the car with a brand new quarter with no dents that won't have bondo falling off of it..
Old 01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

these are LKQ parts in my area

LH Door $350-600 complete
LH Qtr panel $389-700 (with glass)
LH mirror $90

you do the math compared to a hourly billed job. I cant believe you guys will actually consider repairing those parts.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Is it clean title? seems like a good deal, easily make a good profit
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that 1/4 panel is totally fucked. there is a kink under the 1/4 glass too which to me seems it was hit pretty hard so it may have some frame damage. are the trunk gaps the same side to side? and seeing how there is a spare on it and how the 1/4 is hit the suspension should be checked out too. i'd do a visual inspection on the suspension and def get an alignment as well. and go with a lkq door. a door skin from gm might be more then a used shell. thats my .02

Quick Reply: quarter panel too fubar'd?