Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

So this is "DONE"? I call BS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel your pain, they skipped corners and there is your result.. dude don't settle for half *** work.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like after market bumper, paired with lazy prep, ive seen alot of bumpers flake inside little detail lines because people are too lazy to sand inside there.

sometimes they flake because of being bare plastic and no plastic adhesion promoter used, but ive only very very few gm bumpers bare plastic, usually even after market gm is primed

in your "before pic" the pass. quarter looks rolled out a little on the edge, but after it def. looks even more rolled.. was it in an accident before?

do you have pics of the damage on the quarter before you sent it to the shop. id like to see them if you do
Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLULS1Z28
parts wise a shop is suppose to use whats on estimate weather its used aftermarket or new. as for time it took has no baring on anything parts could have been a issue getting frame time and waiting on adjusters all play into things plus its only 30 days 5 or so hours on estimate is a day
there is the mian point, if you have a low ball insurance company with 28 bucks a hour for body labor, low frame labor, no matter how good we as techs are how would you like to work for 20 bucks a hour and working with cheap after market crap

not to mention what this guy said as well, more damage not on the estiamte then the adjustor has to come back out to approve the damage, that takes time sometimes 2 weeks!!! i have waited and made no money on that job

but i do agree the fitment is horrible im not going to disagree, but the fitment there might be nothing the tech can do if it is a aftermarket jap crap bumper ya its gonna fit like crap, and the hatch being touched up well thats your insurance company telling the tech nope not accident replated just touch it up

if the shop has a warranty they can redo the paint on the bumper, the fitment issues might just be the aftermarket crap of a bumper, but again its your insruance company tellin them what to do if they came back out and inspected the car before it left they may have said its fine aftermarket parts

so you in a rock and a hard place right now
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Is this body shop an Allstate Pro Shop? If so he won't be for long!! I've seen this over and over again and it's not your insurance cutting the corners if anything the body shop cut costs to avoid totalling the car and not making anything. Really how much do you think the insurance company is saving on that job by using aftermarket as opposed to OEM cause the labor is there regardless?

That is plain lazy *** craftsmanship!!

Seriously though find out if he is a Pro Shop, if so he'll HAVE to fix it
Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

If you have not done so yet, be sure to go after diminished value from the insurance company. That’s additional money to you since your car is worth less now that it has been in an accident.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

just got this message "Wanted to let you know that we contacted the salvage yard for a credit on the Rear Bumper Cover and have ordered a new OE Bumper Cover from parts - This should eliminate any issues with the alignment of the Bumper Cover to the body of the vehicle - I\\\'ll keep you posted as to the progress - I apologize for your inconvenience "

sweeettt
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HAte
looks like after market bumper, paired with lazy prep, ive seen alot of bumpers flake inside little detail lines because people are too lazy to sand inside there.

sometimes they flake because of being bare plastic and no plastic adhesion promoter used, but ive only very very few gm bumpers bare plastic, usually even after market gm is primed

in your "before pic" the pass. quarter looks rolled out a little on the edge, but after it def. looks even more rolled.. was it in an accident before?

do you have pics of the damage on the quarter before you sent it to the shop. id like to see them if you do
yeah ill post them

Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gav91183
just got this message "Wanted to let you know that we contacted the salvage yard for a credit on the Rear Bumper Cover and have ordered a new OE Bumper Cover from parts - This should eliminate any issues with the alignment of the Bumper Cover to the body of the vehicle - I\\\'ll keep you posted as to the progress - I apologize for your inconvenience "

sweeettt
Still have paint and fender issues that need to be addressed before I'd be completely satisfied
Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

man thats a shitty job keep us posted
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Launching!

do not accept the car until those "**** ups "are fixed . and if the shop gives you any
**** ... call a lawyer. dont settle for half assed work

Last edited by formula vincent; 02-06-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

God that's awful.

This is why I only would go to the shop my friend owns
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is what it looked like

What shop so we know to stay away
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Terrible. I do custom paint and body work for a living i have a few of my build threads below. I want to point out a couple of things

The picture you have that says " orange peel" thats not orange peel, thats something that fell into the paint.

The flaking on the rear bumper is due to poor prep, you can see how they have poor adheasion in the seam, where most paint failures happen due to not getting a good sand on it, ive seen it a thousand times.

Now on the rear bumper you quoted your insurance company saying they are getting a credit from the salvage yard... You didnt get an aftermarket bumper if it came from a salvage yard, it would have come from an aftermarket supplier like keystone, which i dont even think makes an aftermarket bumper. I would check with them asap as i think all your problems are with the bodyshop

Onto the insurance, ANY insurance company is at your mercy if they are fixing your car, it doesnt matter if its allstate or not, when you go through an insurance company and your not happy with the job, the insurance company can have the shop by the *****.

They will send somebody out to look at your car, show them what you posted here, and they will have to make it right.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

So they bought a new OE bumper, and fixing it now the latest part of the saga someone pointed out on LS1.com.

Originally Posted by Red97GTP
Did you have them leave the WS6 emblem off the back, or was that another **** up on the body shops part?
So the latest part of the saga,

"The WS-6 Emblem is out of production and not available - My parts guy did a national search and there does show to be a dealer that has one out of state - problem is since it is a discontinued part that is no longer in producton the parts department cannot place and order to have it shipped to us - We do not have any other sources that can provide this part - You might consider a search on-line to see if and after-market manufacturer sells reproductions of this part - I'm sure that if you located the part and provided the receipt to your adjuster they would reimburse your cash outlay since you have photographic proof that it was there prior to the loss - Sorry we couldn't be of more help"

"We do not have a source that we use that offers this emblem - I was thinking that if you wanted to invest the time online that you might find it available either OE or after-market - If you do find one and purchase it you would deal with your in-house adjuster not with the drive in adjuster that wrote the initial estimate "

So why can't they do this? Is there something against the dealership buying an Aftermarket part?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

.... How is a new OE bumper going to fix the problem when you already have an OE used bumper on your car. After looking at the pics again, your rear bumper says " Pontiac" Aftermarket bumpers cant stamp OE names into them.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
.... How is a new OE bumper going to fix the problem when you already have an OE used bumper on your car. After looking at the pics again, your rear bumper says " Pontiac" Aftermarket bumpers cant stamp OE names into them.
They said it was a recycled part from a Junkyard, guess that caused the issues?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

So why can't they do this? Is there something against the dealership buying an Aftermarket part?
Do you really have to ask? These are the same guys that were going to give you back your car looking like ***

Does this place have something against you? Just asking cause most places that I know and are looking for repeat business will at least make an attempt to help a guy out in your situation.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

they sell those WS6 emblems on Ebay for about $90. brand new OEM
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gav, listen.. You have a bumper from the junkyard. It is NOT an aftermarket bumper. Its not going to make a bit of diffrence in the way it fits.

Something is not right, and the problem lies under the bumper, the rear body panel could still be pushed in, the quarter might not be pushed out enough, ect ect ect.

I strongly suggest you go to the body shop when they have the bumper off and see how it looks under the bumper, but you cant always spot a problem by eye.

When it comes to the emblem, buy one online and they will pay for the diffrence. insurance companies must make your car the way it was before the accident. You can even make up a phony bill to give them just so you dont have to cover the cost right away, just talk with the insurance adjuster and he should be able to make it right, if not talk to the supervisor. I deal with adjusters everyday so i know the deal

I hope this helps you get your car fixed the right way.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can take pictures with all of the stuff of, (lights, bumber, reinforcement bar) and then you can get a better picture of what youre dealing with. They did the same **** to mine and my tailights and bumper have never been the same. Thats why im doing this on my own to make it right. Im having to replace the rear body panel that they didnt fix right. Good luck.