Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Score!!! Sail panel......

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Score!!! Sail panel......

Man I am soo happy.. Found a sail panel in a junkyard yesterday off a 94.. Junkyard says they will pull it, $60 out the door.. Of course I said, "Hell yes".. They were pissed today when I came to get it, took 2 of them almost 3 hours to cut it off.... No cracks, just need a good sanding/prepping for paint.. I could care less, got my panel, time to get rid of them damn bubbles..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Well being a 94 at least you know if it is going to bubble! Good luck and let us see it after some TLC! Freakin bubbles! WTF. My dads 06 Mustang has had two hoods on it due to metal making the paint bubble and pop off. Not the same reason as ours but still WTF !
Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find OP. I dont mean to hijack the thread but can you vinyl wrap one of the newer ones before it bubbles? I know its something in the glue, but if its wrapped will it still bubble under the vinyl? If it does will you see it?

Are you going to keep it black and just have it resprayed or are you going to have it painted body color?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

I think I am going to leave it black, mine is black now.. I like the look.. I would imagine, even wrapped, the bubbles would still show.. Mine weren't too bad til I got it painted, then all bubble hell broke loose....

Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
Nice find OP. I dont mean to hijack the thread but can you vinyl wrap one of the newer ones before it bubbles? I know its something in the glue, but if its wrapped will it still bubble under the vinyl? If it does will you see it?
Yes it will still bubble, yes you will still see it.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there an install write up or cutting write up ? I have a bunch of 93-97 camaros/firebirds in my local pick your part...
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eddielb
Is there an install write up or cutting write up ? I have a bunch of 93-97 camaros/firebirds in my local pick your part...
I would like to know this too, if I ever come across one...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
I would like to know this too, if I ever come across one...
There on here.. I've stumbled across them.. All I know is you cut them off with a wire saw and heat is a bonus as it makes the glue softer..
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=OIF1VET;14965610]There on here.. I've stumbled across them.. All I know is you cut them off with a wire saw and heat is a bonus as it makes the glue softer..[/QUOi

i just did mine there is a special tool u can buy to remove windshields it has two handles and a special cutting wire that attaches to the handles. you wont get it off with just that you will also need a heat gun and heat from underneath not the top of the panel took me 5 long hours to get a junkyard one off in one piece took me 25 minutes to rip the bubbled one off my car with a flat bar. the job is very easy if you have a new piece and you just rip the old one off....to glue it on and line it up went very easy almost to easy
Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=02gangsta/ss;14983494]
Originally Posted by OIF1VET
There on here.. I've stumbled across them.. All I know is you cut them off with a wire saw and heat is a bonus as it makes the glue softer..[/QUOi

i just did mine there is a special tool u can buy to remove windshields it has two handles and a special cutting wire that attaches to the handles. you wont get it off with just that you will also need a heat gun and heat from underneath not the top of the panel took me 5 long hours to get a junkyard one off in one piece took me 25 minutes to rip the bubbled one off my car with a flat bar. the job is very easy if you have a new piece and you just rip the old one off....to glue it on and line it up went very easy almost to easy
That's what I plan to do..
At some point I'll rip my old one off and replace it myself.. These fools around here want $700 and I am providing the panel!

Quick Reply: Score!!! Sail panel......