Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can tinted clear change the color of a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can tinted clear change the color of a car?

So theres this car, it makes me horny. Favorite fbod ever, a 200 Formula WS6. But its PEWTER!!!!

And its in perfect condition, i dont see the need to pay for a $2000+ paint job. So if i have someone respray the clear, or add clear, with a tint like black or dark gray, is it possible to make the car lean more towards the gunmetal side? Or is this whole wacky idea a fail? i guess i COULD buy it and repaint it but it just seems like so much work. originally i was going to find a beater trans am that runs perfect and paint it myself but damn, this is a RARE car.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or how about if a car is dark green? theres also a dark green vette im looking at but would prefer black lol
Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would work, but the skill of the painter would need to be exceptional. And if any paint correction needed to be done in the future it *could* make uneven spots, depending on how many coats and the concentration of the coats. If you do it, have at least 2 coats of plain clear put over the tinted clear. I've done this to various things and it looks really nice, but requires a lot of skill.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to mention to spray the entire car and for it to be quality work your looking at $2000.00+. so why not just get it and respray it what you want it to be? Also as 98camaro28 said it would take a skilled painter, and for what you want you would be putting candy over the color and then clearing that since candy is transparent. Candy is also expensive. just some insight.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

^^yeah even if you just get it recleared it will still cost you,I would get the car that's the best(mileage,condition ect.) you can always paint it,or have it painted down the road.IMO
Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea i kinda thought after this that cost wise it would probably be about the same. Well, im searching for a perfect condition but higher mileage ws6 or z06. Reason is because i want to drive it every day and not be afraid to put mileage on it, like my current WS6. In 4 years i put about 3000 miles on it. No fun.

Quick Reply: Can tinted clear change the color of a car?