Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door Damage (keyhole)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Damage (keyhole)...

Car was broken into yesterday morning...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...19-sonova.html

But here's the damage to the door:

Any idea what it's going to cost? It looks small and simple, but I've heard that fiberglass is a PITA to work with, and being that it's such a small, compact area, I imagine it being even more so of a pain.
I didn't get a chance to take it to the body shop today for estimates because I was waiting on SAPD to come dust for prints. I work all day Wed, so wont be able to make it out to the shop until Thursday morning. Sucks, but I HAD to see if the prints on the glass/door could possibly lead to these bastards.

Also, after the work, they'll have to repaint the door right, and then probably blend to the rear quarter panels/front fender?
I'm thinking about paying a little extra and having the dents and dings all touched up too, while they are there. I'd REALLY like for the whole car to be re-sprayed and I'd pay the difference, but I don't think I can fork over the bill right now.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use bondo on that damage. It will be a pain to fixe, but since it is where it is, it will not have to be worked too much to look good. The problem is trying to blend in the repair. If the damage was in the middle of the door, it would not be too bad. However, since it is so close to the quarter, I owuld think you need to blend into the quarter, which means you would have to clear the door and quarter.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is bondo an option I want to take?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's so crazy cause the first time my old camaro was broken into, that's exactly how they did it, some James Bond ****. Your pic is how my passenger side door was, the driver side was much worse, the actual keyhole part went right inside plus the damage underneath it as the pic shown, super bogus. I had to replace the driver side lock which was a seperate cost but the the doors themselves I had a body shop put bondo and repaint, the cost was more for me cuz I had other repairs being done to the car prior to the break in but it shouldn't cost for then a hundred bucks. Sucks you had to go through this too man, ****'s wrong.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Grrrrrrrrrr I hate it when people mess up **** that is not theirs. Pisses me smooth off man. Guys work hard pay for a nice ride and fix it up and then some jerkoff does something like that. Sorry man good luck with the repairs hopefully its not too heavy on the wallet.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bondo would make it look like **** and once you come to sell it everyone will notice it and think a 10 year old did it. I would get quotes from a body shop..... wouldn't your insurance cover that? And you don't need to paint the whole door, a good body shop should be able to paint that little spot and have it blend in with the rest.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

SMC patch panel and SMC epoxy is the only way to go on a door........ask me how i know
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

But I think they actually filled it with fiberglass when I got it fixed, I forgot, happened awhile back.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

They'll probably fix it with filler(fiberglass n bondo)a good body man can fix it no problem,theyll blend the door n quarter,n clear both
Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
They'll probably fix it with filler(fiberglass n bondo)a good body man can fix it no problem,theyll blend the door n quarter,n clear both
Exactly what I was saying earlier. Silver is almost impossible to match, so the only way to fix it right is to blend into the quarter panel and clear both.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

My driver door has this from the previous owner. never got into the car or broken the key hole but the glass is slightly damaged.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard/read that this is a common/easy way of breaking into GM vehicles?
Punching a hole under the lock gains access to manually open the door. Still not sure how this didn't set off the alarm...
I want this fixed the right way, not some botch job.
I'm taking it to a body shop for an estimate tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car is getting fixed. Dropped it off at Kelly Collision down the street from me this morning.
$600+ in repairs.
I gotta pay the $500 deductible. Bah! Almost not worth it. But door and quarter panel are getting fresh paint, and I'm getting a free rental out of it for a week.

Get this, body shop said they need to replace the "Firebird" door lettering, because it's attached with double-sided tape. If they remove it, it ruins it. "We can put new tape, but it'll look tacky. Better to just replace."

I lol'd, but insisted that if they do replace it, I want the one they remove.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Note to self - install metal plate just under keyhole so they can't bust into the car that easily.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

******* thieves. All they had to do was pull out the window and unlock the door, but instead they had to damage your car.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a call this afternoon from the shop. Car's done.
Just waiting on locksmith or whatever to come out and code the new key cylinder to my key.
He also said the "Firebird" door lettering is on a 6-week back order.
He asked if I wanted to wait or just reuse the old lettering. I told him to use goo-gone or equivalent to remove the old adhesive, clean it up really well, and re-adhere it with double sided body tape.
Also the radio bezel is out of production, so he's going to have to search to find one used. I told him to get me a check for whatever it's worth, and I'll find one. He says it's like a $20 part. Funny, there's one for sale in classifieds for $30. Bah!
He's going to hold the car till Monday, and then I can get it.
I'm kinda excited, but also disappointed that I have to give up the rental. REALLY digging this semi-auto tap shifting. haha.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Picked up the car yesterday afternoon.

I'm pleased with how it came out.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

you should get you some WS6 rims
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good love silver!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Still not sure how this didn't set off the alarm...
Is it the factory alarm? Because that alarm sucks! My best friend accidentally backed into my old 97 Trans Am and the alarm didn't sound at all. When he came in to tell me he hit my car we went outside to check out the damage. All I could do was laugh it off, it was an accident after all. I was making a joke about how at least my fuel door was still able to open and when I shut it the alarm went off full blast, haha! We laughed for a good 10 minutes at that! Here's a pic of the damage;

The alarm didn't make a peep.

Quick Reply: Door Damage (keyhole)...