Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Plati Dip? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was researching doing the ceta mod to my '99 arctic white T/A and stumbled across this epic thread, reading every page. Going to buy some plasti dip today to do the ceta tomorrow.

Any advice for taping up the round corners on the ceta so I can get the tape off quick without tearing the plastidip?

Great thread!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to do the taping with one long strip, slowing guiding it along the groove. Go get some half inch think painters tape, that will make it easier to get into the groove and guide around the corners. Make sure to not spray too close or too thick right off...you will get a few runs (like me.) Luckily, once dry, they are hard to see. You need to work kinda quick, so you can remove the tape before it starts to cure. When peeling the tape, pull at a 45 degree angle away from the edge.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Just finished the CETA mod using plasti dip about an hour ago. Looks great! I did fudge the corners a little, but not too shabby for my first time "painting".

I set up a mini-paint booth in the garage by just barely backing the T/A in, and using plastic sheeting to seal up the garage opening to eliminate overspray.

I did only get two thick coats out of 1 can. Will this last? Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, it should last. Quick tip-pick up some black pinstripe to run in the groove to clean up any edges.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply Furious. I sprayed into the groove, had my tape on the outside edge. Overall though, I'm happy with it. She's 13 yrs old, not a show car, and I'm on a budget. Kudos to ls1tech.com for allowing us a place to help each other out with stuff like this!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is this plastdip stuff safe on chrome rims?

And do i need to buy any adhesive or do I just spray the color of my choice to the rim?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

^it's 100% safe to use on paint & any type of wheels, it won't hurt or leave nothing stained & its easy when removing it, just simply rub off, Since your painting your wheels I'd suggest have them clean, wash & wipe off all the road dust, Completely Dry it & Spray, "Search Youtube: Plasti Dip" & it's known to hold up very well when washing at the car wash, I plan on doing my rear bergel panel for my Camaro.

Last edited by ls1jorge; 04-16-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added YouTube search
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
^it's 100% safe to use on paint & any type of wheels, it won't hurt or leave nothing stained & its easy when removing it, just simply rub off, Since your painting your wheels I'd suggest have them clean, wash & wipe off all the road dust, Completely Dry it & Spray, "Search Youtube: Plasti Dip" & it's known to hold up very well when washing at the car wash, I plan on doing my rear bergel panel for my Camaro.
Well I am going to get my car detailed so should i ask them to polish my rims or just clean them? Will the paint stick if my rims get polished before I add the paint?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Go ahead & get your car detailed and the rims so after it's done it'll be cleaned & ready for spray

Quick Reply: Plati Dip? WTF?