Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Front End swap completed, paint started

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to be mean, but seriously.. you can tell that was rattle-canned from a mile away. Doesn't even come close to match or look like a factory job. Maybe if I could see some better pics it would be different, but from what I see here it's exactly what I expected, though it does look better than most people could do with a can.

Last edited by 98camaro28; 07-31-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take some higher resolution and close up pics?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
Not trying to be mean, but seriously.. you can tell that was rattle-canned from a mile away. Doesn't even come close to match or look like a factory job. Maybe if I could see some better pics it would be different, but from what I see here it's exactly what I expected, though it does look better than most people could do with a can.
Now its my turn to call you out lol.....one yes it came out a bit darker but the paint needs time too set and two from the pics my buddy took you can't even make out the quality of the job...I haven't picked her up yet but he said it came out good, this isn't his first rodeo.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 08-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The paint isn't going to change color. It may need to cure, but that has nothing to do with it "setting". As far as color goes, what you see right now is what you get.

I said that it was hard to make out the quality with the pics you posted. Ne denying that. But from what I can see, it's what I expected. Post some GOOD quality pics from all angles of light and shades.

And I know he has done this before and it's not his first rodeo, but believe me, it's not mine either. Besides, having experience with a rattle can doesn't really mean anything when regarding quality/results vs professional paints.

I am NOT knocking you for having to do what you have to do. Not everybody can afford to go more of a pro route, even though it may have not been much more expensive. My first F-body was an 84 Z28, and I used 12 cans of Dupli-color to rattle the whole thing. I thought it looked good at first, but eventually realized it looked worse and worse. Long story short, I am not saying that you're stupid for doing it or anything. Nothing like it at all. I was simply offering an alternative that would look much better and set you up for better results in the future, and offered to help you. I am by no means an expert, but I could definitely help you get stared. I wasn't bashing you for doing what you have to do. Like I said, I'm sure you have more important things to worry about. Anyway, congrats on both swaps you've made now! When I had an LT car, I know I always wanted to.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lets just see what the car looks like in some better pics. Besides if the owner likes thats all that mattter.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

I finally got all the pieces to do my front end conversion and have begun looking into paint. I was thinking about doing exactly the same method you are using. My car is black paint code 41u so i am hoping it will match very well. The car was repainted by a previous owner which does worry me alittle, but i am thinking black should be easiest color to match. How many cans of primer, basecoat, and clear coat did it take to paint the whole front end? I am looking into pricing and to have the paint made into aerosol is 22 bucks a can and 2k clear coat aerosol are around 22 bucks each. I am trying to price everything out before I start anything.