Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

my $20 sail panel removal/replacement picture thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I actually think the 98's were ok too...I've only seen the bubbling on 99-2002 cars. My 2000 wasn't TOO bad...but my buddies black 99 TA is brutal...the cars that live out of the sun in garages are definitely less plagued as well.
All the '98s are OK, except the ones built in 05/98 and later. The early and mid-year '98s never develop the problem, and are just as good as a '93-'97 panel. GM seems to have made the change at some point in May of '98, so all the F-bodies built in or after this month are at risk.

Originally Posted by davidws6
A new one is still available from certain web sites but cheapest I found was $ 870 ! ! !
Some sites still list it, but if you actually go to order one they won't be available. GM dis'coed them a while ago. The only other option is to find one used, find a NOS piece that someone is selling, or buy a reproduction from 6LE.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I mean nice job and all but I don't understand why you used plasti dip on this part of your car. I get the allure of it and all, but if you went through the headache of removing your bad one, which was jacked from *spray paint*, and then removing another and even repaired it, why would you not get it painted and be done with it for good. As soon as there is one spot that goes bad the whole thing is shot and then you are back to the spray paint route. You could have had it color matched NBM for 80$ or less, installed it, then plasti dipped it so at the very minimum once that plasti comes off you aren't up a creek.

Props for taking matters into your own hands, but your finished product leaves me very confused.
Yeah. I mean, unless he peels it off and resprays it regularly, it's likely not a good product to be using if durability is expected of it. We shall see...
Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone used this Repro from 6LE ?
It's current price is $ 455
Being a repro, Fitment might be an issue as usual ....
Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Props for jumping in there and getting it done.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I mean nice job and all but I don't understand why you used plasti dip on this part of your car. I get the allure of it and all, but if you went through the headache of removing your bad one, which was jacked from *spray paint*, and then removing another and even repaired it, why would you not get it painted and be done with it for good. As soon as there is one spot that goes bad the whole thing is shot and then you are back to the spray paint route. You could have had it color matched NBM for 80$ or less, installed it, then plasti dipped it so at the very minimum once that plasti comes off you aren't up a creek.

Props for taking matters into your own hands, but your finished product leaves me very confused.
the panel is off of a 99' and had tiny traces of bubble before I even started. I can't find any junkyards around me with 4th gens, let alone ones that will attempt to remove a panel for me (and no one lets you pull your own parts anymore)

so since I had this one sitting in my back yard for 2 years I figured I'd just install it, I painted it black originally but it came out very uneven, but since I had the plasti dip right there I went ahead and used that. I actually peeled it all off yesterday and did it over in SEM trim black to hopefully hold up better for now, until I find a 93-97 panel I can remove.

it's really not a permanent fix, it was a $20 band aid just so it wasn't a light/dull/bubbled/cracked/not-matching blue. I definitely understand the criticism though haha, but no body shops near me charge reasonable prices so I didn't want to flush money down the drain.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
until I find a 93-97 panel I can remove.
I lucked out and got one off a 95 for $60 removed... Pulled my old one today... Now the wait for glue(should be here Thursday).. Good luck on your 93-97 search... There's only one in our area and we know who has that panel..
Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen a sail panal so bad
Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn!!!! Yours was really messed up. Looks really good now.

Quick Reply: my $20 sail panel removal/replacement picture thread