Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Why does this rattle can paint job look so bad? Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why does this rattle can paint job look so bad? Pics inside

I helped a buddy paint his FAST intake manifold. We sanded it down, cleaned it off, then sprayed some brake cleaner to get any of the remaining oil off.
He bought three cans of VHT High Temp engine enamel from Summit, and the thing wasn't going on right. It looked nice once you sprayed it down, but after about 10 minutes it started to turn colors. At some parts it looked nice, while at others it would turn a whitish color. With every coat, another part of it would look like crap. So with every new coat, the parts that previously looked like crap would look good, but then other parts would start to look like crap..After about 6 coats, I said no more..
I found an old Ace Hardware rattle can in my garage..Sprayed the intake down, and it looked 100% better after only the first light coat. Second coat, it looked perfect..Before and after pictures below.
So now I ask you..Whats up with the VHT rattle cans. Are they junk, or do they just need a primer below them to properly work? We shook them up real good, so I dont think thats the issue. It wasn't my first time using a rattle can lol..

The VHT results.

The Ace hardware rattle can results I found in the garage, probably a couple of years old.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had a problem with it turning whitish but it sometimes takes like 3 days to dry, I'm not buying any more of it
Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I have used one can myself in the past and it didn't turn out bad..I think there was one small dime sized spot which looked a little white, but nothing like the one above. It drys prety fast for me. I just wish it looked good as I do like its gloss.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You either put it on to heavy or it's to humid, try lighter coats n one medium coat to finish. Humidity messes with bomb can paint.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is prety humid here..I wasn't putting it on that heavy, maybe a little bit..But its a night and day difference with the Ace hardware rattle can.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

I figured it was the humidity, plus the ace paint is a flat type of finish, gloss or clear coat spray bomb is more likely to do it then the flatter looking paints, I've never used either brand.I always use wurth spray paint it does nice but even it can blush(turn white with high humidity) just keep that in mind if your needing to do something in a gloss finish with spray bomb. Still looks good with the matte finish though!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

different paints lay down differently.. vht has a nice quality to it if you can lay it down correctly.. its a tricky paint to spray.. very light coats every 5 minutes or so till its completely covered..
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, I like that flat look a lot more now. If I can't get my LS6 to get how I want it, I'm gonna start over and do flat black.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

That flat isn't flat... it's semi gloss and looks sharp!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ive had really good luck with rust-oleum semi gloss black. I painted the wheels on my truck in two coats and it covers great and it seems very durable to
Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

It was definitely the humidity that caused the white spots, but the black you laid down last turned out great! I've never used VHT other than their Nightshade. I used duplicolor high temp rattle can, high build primer, and High Temp Clearcoat on my intake. It was a little humid so I had some white spots like you did but after painting I brought it into the house so it would cure and it went away. It's a cell phone picture and it looks grainy but after tons of wet sanding and polishing, it came out great.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Brake cleaner isn't the best thing to use prior to painting. I always use mineral spirits.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

It can also be soaking in the plastic, those spots are easier to sand down..
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
You either put it on to heavy or it's to humid, try lighter coats n one medium coat to finish. Humidity messes with bomb can paint.
+1
this is the issue.
too much humidity.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

going to throw my vote at humidity as well. one of the most overlooked aspects of a paint job is the environment your painting in. also, as someone already mentioned .. brake cleaner isnt the best paint prep chemical.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Launching!

ive done the samething as you and figured out that it was the damn brake cleaner, brake cleaner is strong **** it will just soak into the plastic never use it again. just use soap and water and a hard bristle brush to clean the intake.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Your first pick looks like solvent pop. Humidity, contamination, temperature difference between the part, the air and/or the paint can. To close or too heavy can do it too. This time of year can be tough. Do it in a heated garage that has been heated for a while to kill the humidity. Clean the part with mineral spirits and make sure it is completely dry. Let the part, paint and air all equalize in temp and keep the coats just light enough to look wet and let it have sufficient drying time between coats.

Also, old paint can screw you.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 PM

The key to any good paint job is prep and using brake cleaner to prep is a terrible idea especially if it soaks into the plastic or puddles in somewhere in the intake because the paint will lift or fisheye.

You also need to give the paint something to stick to and a great primer is perfect for that and will help greatly with helping the longevity of the paint to last as well. Do yourself a big favor especially if you are planning on painting that intake again and use a very good primer and make sure you have all that old paint covered before you try and repaint it again and maybe head to a quality paint shop and see what sort of colors they offer in a spray can and try again.

Quick Reply: Why does this rattle can paint job look so bad? Pics inside