Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How To: Fix Your Fender Gap *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
Someone that has these jacking pads correct me if I am wrong: I heard that they are pretty useless and would crack as soon as you jack the car up? True, or BS?
The jacking pads get kind of marred up if they're used to jack up a vehicle, but I've never seen a broken one and I've never seen an LT1 with this issue. It seems 80%+ of LS1 cars I see around have this issue...I think this thread kind of makes my point lol.

Of course, still not a great place to jack from, but if someone does do it, it's a LOT more protected than the 98-02 setup.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my car and my buddies which are both lt1s have this problem. On my car it was really bad. Perhaps that plastic "jack pad" is what saved some of the lt1s, but to say that it isn't a problem just because you haven't seen an lt1 with it is definitely not true...
Sure, go ahead and use that "jack pad", or you can move the jack over 4 inches to the frame rail and have peace of mind knowing you're not risking smashing your fender mounts and making that gap.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
Exactly, the frame rail was the term I was looking for...
One thing that sucks bout used cars (even mint ones) is not everyone is as careful- I can see little indentations on my frame rail from people jacking the car on this spot.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
Well, my car and my buddies which are both lt1s have this problem. On my car it was really bad. Perhaps that plastic "jack pad" is what saved some of the lt1s, but to say that it isn't a problem just because you haven't seen an lt1 with it is definitely not true...
Sure, go ahead and use that "jack pad", or you can move the jack over 4 inches to the frame rail and have peace of mind knowing you're not risking smashing your fender mounts and making that gap.
Did I ever suggest using the "jack pad" to jack up the car? I don't recall so. Calm yourself.

In the world of cars, we all know that sometimes things don't go as planned. Sometimes a mechanic or a body shop might put our car on a lift and use that point to lift the car from. Should this happen? No. Does it happen? Yes. Is it ideal? No. Do these things slip out of our control sometimes? Yes.

SO, as added insurance/protection to your fenders, why not spend the $10-20 and throw two bolts in? It's a lot more protection than absolutely nothing, which is my point.

It's kind of like saying, "I don't want a bullet proof vest in a shootout, because I know a guy that got shot in the head one time." Stupid logic. It's an added point of security/piece of mind and a little bit of protection should it ever need to be there. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
SO, as added insurance/protection to your fenders, why not spend the $10-20 and throw two bolts in? It's a lot more protection than absolutely nothing, which is my point.
I hear ya.
Looks like I come off a bit like an ***, my bad. I think I read through your post too quickly and missed the "Of couse, still not a good place..." part and thought you were advocating, so to speak, using that plastic jack pad.

Even my auto body instructor almost lifted my car up by that fender area until I caught him.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I did this fix in like two minutes with an adjustable wrench, wicked easy.

Think my mechanic or ***** at dealer put it on a lift and bent it out.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else also notice the fender to door gap misaligned at the top, too? I think mine are pushed out on both ends a little.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My fender is totally broken off on the driver side underneath, so there is a screw holding it in place. Which actually works much, much better and there isn't that tab hanging down asking to get screwed up. Not sure why they didn't just mount it flush the first time around to begin with.

There is a bolt in the center that you can adjust. Open the door and look in there, you'll see it. Might help get it tweaked where you need it. I had to play with all those when I replaced the fender on my old car.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will update this thread with photos of my fender gaps possibly tonight.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I've fixed several on my buddy's 98-02 cars that have had this issue and, for whatever reason, GM didn't put them on the 98-02 cars.
FYI, these pads were still in use during 1998 production. Mine was built on 3/23/98 and it came from the factory with these pads. I don't know if every '98 came with them or if there was a certain cut-off point, but mine and at least a couple others I have seen definitely did.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

My late 98 didn't have any, nor were there signs of them previously being there. But then, my 98 was also a bit of an oddball.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
My late 98 didn't have any, nor were there signs of them previously being there. But then, my 98 was also a bit of an oddball.
I think I recall from the sail panel threads that your '98 was a June build. The other '98s that I remember seeing these pads on were all earlier builds. I've looked at many '98s for the purpose of sail panel investigation, but I haven't checked them all for jack pads. On the ones I *have* checked though, to the best of my memory they were all pre-May builds.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Transition years, gotta love 'em
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I can get the bottoms of the fenders lined up pretty good- but the tops that are off is a mystery to me. I don't know if it's simply a factory flaw (which I can live it no problem) or they are fudged top and bottom.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Snap a pic?
Old 07-11-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are pictures of the driver's side fender....you guys can see the before and after shots. I wasn't able to bend the tabs all the way straight tho....

Last edited by Striker; 07-12-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be my number 1 Spring project. All this time I thought the car was supposed to look like this!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Hey Guys

I am new here and have the same Problem. I switched my mechanic for that and made sure the new place made a note...I will fix this next week. It is a freakin shame. Is there nothing we can do to prevent stuff like this...would be a nice aftermarket idea
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_C
... All this time I thought the car was supposed to look like this!
LOL I did too! Both driver & pass sides pooched out at the bottom, and I thought that it was a stupid design.

When I was reworking my exhaust, I noticed the tabs bent inward. I got a big crescent wrench after them & the fenders pulled right back in where they were supposed to be.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:02 AM
loc
Teching In

So I found a new way to create the dreaded fender gap. I was leaving work tonight at 0200 hours and managed to run over a curb as I was pulling out, it was dark and I was tired. So I will be attempting this repair tomorrow. It is pretty bad and I did notice that I broke the plastic about halfway. I will take some photos before and after tomorrow.

Quick Reply: How To: Fix Your Fender Gap *Pics*