How To: Fix Your Fender Gap *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How To: Fix Your Fender Gap *Pics*

Does your fender look like this?

Well, keep reading, it's an easy fix.

So I've seen quite a lot of cars here on tech that have this fender gap, down at the bottom of the fender, where it meets the door. I don't know if people don't care about it, don't know how to fix it, or what! But it's an EASY fix, and figured I'd post up the process.

Now you may all already know about this and I might just be making a useless post, but oh well. The fender gap comes from using an improper lifting/jacking point on the car. Rather than using the frame, a shop (or maybe you, I won't tell ) lifted from the undercarriage where the bottom fender bolts meet the mounting bracket. It then gets bent upwards and out, which pushes the fender out. Sometimes the bolts might even break, in this case you'll need new bolts and a solid spot to bolt/drill into.

Anyway, lets get started.

MATERIALS NEEDED
-Good set of vice grips
-Hammer, any should do
-Block of wood

This is what you should have in front of you

Look under the car right below the fender. This bracket is what's bent!

So if you haven't already, jack the car up just enough so you can comfortably get to the bracket. Set your jack stands under the car.

Get your vice grips and clamp them on tight
*Make sure you've clamped both the plastic from the fender AND the metal bracket*

EDIT: To avoid the risk of cracking your fender tab, unbolt the fender from the metal plate so you can bend the metal back by itself. If you don't care, grab onto both of them together and bend them back.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, GENTLY push the tabs back. You should see the fender pull back into place

But of course with my luck, the fender was still sticking out a bit. If yours is too, even after straightening out the tabs, grab your hammer and a decent sized piece of wood.

Set the block of wood flush up against the brackets.

A few good hits should get it right back into place. BE CAREFUL, the bracket CAN break off

I was able to hold it with one hand, and hammer with the other. If you feel safer with someone holding it, go for it.

Now your fenders should look something like this!

(Sticking out a little on the bottom, but i'll take it)

Driver's side was just as bad as the passenger side. All fixed now!

All in all it took me about 30/40 minutes. My drivers side bent back perfectly with just the vice grips, and I needed the block of wood for the passenger side.

Hope this helps some people, thanks for looking!

Last edited by 98 WS6; 06-03-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said you can break it? Sounds risky to me now, I might just keep the gap.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Good job, i need to get out and do this one of these days.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
You said you can break it? Sounds risky to me now, I might just keep the gap.

We were doing this to my friends car as well. 160K miles, underbody was pretty shot. When we were hitting it in with the wood, the bracket split off 1/4 of the way. It didn't affect anything at all, but I'm just telling you guys to be careful and not go incredible Hulk on it.

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Good job, i need to get out and do this one of these days.
Thanks! It's a quick fix to do on a slow day.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

When having your F-body worked on always tell the shop to not jack under the front fender where this flimsy support is located. Both of my fenders were pushed out when I had tires put on at Costco. You can easily push the brackets back as the OP states and straighten up with vice grips. One of my fenders is broken near the flange and I will have to make a repair. Best thing is to be careful and not let someone damage the fender in the first place. Only some shops seem to be aware of this fragile area.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

This is why I never let anyone put my car on a lift without me watching.

Good fix tho.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Good man! I will be doing this tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting...i noticed one of mine was bent...guess some dumbass didn't bother lifting it properly...
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what happens when idoits ram a jack under there and then realize its not the right spot. They bend the **** outta that tab.

Good work, Brian.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 AM
11 Second Club

Oh, also want to add. One of the brackets was way bent out of the shape compared to the fender's tab, so I unbolted those two bolts (10mm) to separate them and straightened out the metal. Just keep lining up the fender tab as you bend the bracket, you want those bolts to line up don't you?

Originally Posted by Z28Z06
When having your F-body worked on always tell the shop to not jack under the front fender where this flimsy support is located. Both of my fenders were pushed out when I had tires put on at Costco. You can easily push the brackets back as the OP states and straighten up with vice grips. One of my fenders is broken near the flange and I will have to make a repair. Best thing is to be careful and not let someone damage the fender in the first place. Only some shops seem to be aware of this fragile area.
You think someone working at a shop would be able to tell where the frame is.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
This is why I never let anyone put my car on a lift without me watching.

Good fix tho.
Exactly! None of my cars have ever been on a lift, or even moved without me watching.

Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK
Good man! I will be doing this tomorrow.
Haha well I guess this worked. Good luck!

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Interesting...i noticed one of mine was bent...guess some dumbass didn't bother lifting it properly...
I would bet that's what it is.

Originally Posted by Speed Density
That's what happens when idoits ram a jack under there and then realize its not the right spot. They bend the **** outta that tab.

Good work, Brian.
Thanks Tony. ...cell phone pictures aside...

Last edited by 98 WS6; 08-17-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not just the shops. I've watched plenty of people jack their cars (not F-bodies) from that tab thinking it's a pinch weld seam. It quickly bends and they say "well ain't THAT just bullshit, you'd think a lifting point would be stronger!" Obviously they never read their manuals to see NOT to jack from the "Fender Mounting Bracket." durre
Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Swiat34
It's not just the shops. I've watched plenty of people jack their cars (not F-bodies) from that tab thinking it's a pinch weld seam. It quickly bends and they say "well ain't THAT just bullshit, you'd think a lifting point would be stronger!" Obviously they never read their manuals to see NOT to jack from the "Fender Mounting Bracket." durre
My car was like this when I got it, and supposedly (according to the records) had only been serviced at the dealer.
It apparently does not seem to effect the Trans Am's as bad as far as fender alignment goes though.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice, seems easy enough. I've been meaning to do this to my car but haven't got around to it, my passenger side fender looks just like yours did before you fixed it.

Would you recommend doing this in a warmer climate where the car is relatively warm or does it not really matter?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Teching In

I bought my car a couple months back and I saw that towards the bottom of my fenders they seemed to not really line up, this explains why now. Makes alot of sense. Next time I have it up on the lift ill give it a try. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Very nice, seems easy enough. I've been meaning to do this to my car but haven't got around to it, my passenger side fender looks just like yours did before you fixed it.

Would you recommend doing this in a warmer climate where the car is relatively warm or does it not really matter?
You should be fine, I wouldn't worry. Just go slow and keep an eye on everything.

Originally Posted by Blu-Zee
I bought my car a couple months back and I saw that towards the bottom of my fenders they seemed to not really line up, this explains why now. Makes alot of sense. Next time I have it up on the lift ill give it a try. Thanks.
Glad I could help!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

I had a buddy do this for me (I didn't even notice it really). A few weeks later I noticed it was back out again, seems I hit it and cracked the entire tab off the fender. I need to get 2 new fenders now
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I skipped the vise grip part and went strraight for the 5 lb hammer. 3 good smacks on each side and I was done. I did this about 3 months ago and the fenders are still aligned perfectly
Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

I plan on skipping the vice grip part too.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Block of wood and a hammer worked like a charm on my car.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

very cool

Quick Reply: How To: Fix Your Fender Gap *Pics*