Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

First experience with color sanding

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First experience with color sanding

Well, this past week i bought a car and it has quite a lot of paint issues. Over the weekend i tried to do some work with touch-up paint, but i did a terrible job and it looked bad. Behind the front wheels the paint is scoured with lots of chips, and i tried to cover to much with the touch-up paint. Last night i went and bought some 1000,1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper along with Meguire's Compound, Polish, and Tech Wax. I have to say, sanding on your car for the first time is really unnerving and after seeing all the scratches the paper was making it scared me a little. After applying the compound and polish it looks really great! I spend about 3 hours on the passenger side mirror and quarter panel behind the wheel, and only made it through 1500 grit, so i still have more work to go. I will post some pictures of before and after soon.

thanks,
-Dustin
Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might wana be careful sanding on paint that's got some age on it I think I would just stick to a buffer and some different compounds you can do enough damage that way, good luck though
Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 864 Likes on 615 Posts

If you can swing it buy a paint depth gauge. Get one that shows how thick the primer/base/clear is. I know if the vehicle is fiberglass you have to get a special one and I am unsure about urethane.

They are kinda expensive but it would be better to spend the money on that instead of sanding too far and having to have the car repsrayed. With an older car there is no telling how thin or thick the clear coat is.

Go very slow and check your work often. I would start with 2000-2500 and go up from there. 1000 and 1500 will take off clear a lot faster than you think it will. You still have to have enough clear left to be able to buff it out.

Quick Reply: First experience with color sanding