Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painted My WSQ Hood Finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome man!!! Great job! I wish I was able to do things like this on my own...
Not lower that baby down and throw on some Miro 111s
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

*Now*
Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks really good. i had been thinking about doing the spoiler and bumper like that when i paint mine, you just made up my mind.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great.
I'm also thinking some black on the front would help the hood stand out. Maybe some black on the "indents" on the top. Looks killer overall
Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zx2ner25
harbor freight siphon feed for epoxy primer
harbor freight "purple" hvlp for basecoat
vaper 1.4 for clear

my air setup was 2 air tanks linked together (2 25gallon tanks with 2.5 hp motors, setup to run at the same time so its like 5 hp and 50 gallons, with enough cfm to keep up with air sanders {use alot of cfm})

i used ppg shopline for primer and base, and painters pride universal clear

all in all, it came out really good, with a great color match, but i think thats because my oem paint is well taken care of

color match

daylight pictures

Did you have any fitment issues? Cuz my shop is doing mine now and they say they're having issues with it fitting flush.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

very cool , nice job painting it yourself , imho i would spray can the grills black . Give it some depth .
Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by paulyc1
car looks great! amazing job with the paint
Thanks

Originally Posted by SinisterZ28
Very nice, love that hood.
me too, its gets alot of looks

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Awesome man!!! Great job! I wish I was able to do things like this on my own...
Not lower that baby down and throw on some Miro 111s
Im thinking about it, but Im working on my 95 sonoma right now with an ls swap for sort of a Pro-touring setup

Originally Posted by badbird
that looks really good. i had been thinking about doing the spoiler and bumper like that when i paint mine, you just made up my mind.
It definitely added to the uniqueness of my car, got 3rd in a few shows

Originally Posted by blakez28
Looks great.
I'm also thinking some black on the front would help the hood stand out. Maybe some black on the "indents" on the top. Looks killer overall
I was going to paint the indents black kind of like stripes, but after a few hours before paint laying out some tape and i realized that the indents don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical, so i may have some black airbrushed around the edges in the near future

Originally Posted by tylermurphy1
Did you have any fitment issues? Cuz my shop is doing mine now and they say they're having issues with it fitting flush.
I didnt have any issues except with trimming the edges so i could get the gaps correct
Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
very cool , nice job painting it yourself , imho i would spray can the grills black . Give it some depth .
Im thinking about it the more and more that i look at it
Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zx2ner25

I was going to paint the indents black kind of like stripes, but after a few hours before paint laying out some tape and i realized that the indents don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical, so i may have some black airbrushed around the edges in the near future

I didnt have any issues except with trimming the edges so i could get the gaps correct
That would look sick as well, I like that idea better than small stripes in the indents. It's a good looking car, and the paint speaks for itself. I think less is more with the color, but that's only my opinion.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

So did you just sand down the edges on the outsides of the hood? Cuz the passenger side seems really close to being flush with the fender but the driver side is like 1/2" higher then the fender. Oh and the painted my grill inserts black and it looks great..of course my whole car is bring painted SOM & they are custom making black bird stripes to fit
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Car looks really good man.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by tylermurphy1
So did you just sand down the edges on the outsides of the hood? Cuz the passenger side seems really close to being flush with the fender but the driver side is like 1/2" higher then the fender. Oh and the painted my grill inserts black and it looks great..of course my whole car is bring painted SOM & they are custom making black bird stripes to fit
That'll look really good, but all i did was adjusted my hinges, screwed all the bump stops down, and then tilted the hood latch to one side or the other til it sat straight

Originally Posted by blakez28
That would look sick as well, I like that idea better than small stripes in the indents. It's a good looking car, and the paint speaks for itself. I think less is more with the color, but that's only my opinion.
I like the car to look simple, but mean, like a gentle giant with a heart of hate... The more simple the car looks, the less looks you get from people who dont know what theyre looking at (cops)

Originally Posted by Adam L
Car looks really good man.
thank you

Quick Reply: Painted My WSQ Hood Finally