Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
where is this ecology place in san diego? i need some parts as well
http://www.ecoparts.com/

Oceanside - 2315 Carpenter Road, Oceanside, CA 92054 -MAP - (760) 757-7770

Chula Vista 1 (Domestic Only) - 825 Energy Way, Chula Vista, CA 91911 -MAP - (619) 661-4554

Chula Vista 2 (Imports Only) - 800 Energy Way, Chula Vista, CA 91911 -MAP - (619) 661-4554

Brown Field - 1180 Heritage Road, San Diego, CA 92154 -MAP - (619) 661-4554
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Well I found a red Trans am down at Ecology that I plan on removing the whole front clip from next Sunday if it is still there. Gonna go down there with a buddy and remove it all. Start sanding it and bring it to the bodyshop to get it painted. Hopefully it will end up being cheap and hopefully there insurance will cover it all. It looks like I may be able to keep it relatively cheap for my own sake.

Any advice on best way to go about removing the Fenders and bumper?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man thats a shame :/ ...Maybe not the thread to bring this up, but even though the people on here (me included) have a passion for racing and making our cars fast, we still seem to exhibit better driving habits with our built up cars than those with an average joe car and no intentions to race. I always wonder why there are more accidents with the average joe than with people like us that hit 100mph everyday? We drive more dangerous in a sense, but there are no where near as many accidents involved with racing as opposed to normal driving? Idk. I'm tired of these idiotic drivers. Good luck with the insurance man! Hope it comes through in your favor!
-sorry about the rant, a lot of local buddies I know with *nice cars are getting wrecked by idiots
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by need2speed94
Man thats a shame :/ ...Maybe not the thread to bring this up, but even though the people on here (me included) have a passion for racing and making our cars fast, we still seem to exhibit better driving habits with our built up cars than those with an average joe car and no intentions to race. I always wonder why there are more accidents with the average joe than with people like us that hit 100mph everyday? We drive more dangerous in a sense, but there are no where near as many accidents involved with racing as opposed to normal driving? Idk. I'm tired of these idiotic drivers. Good luck with the insurance man! Hope it comes through in your favor!
-sorry about the rant, a lot of local buddies I know with *nice cars are getting wrecked by idiots
We like our cars, and put time + work + thought into them, so we take care of them. A lot of us value our money and efforts, where some people couldn't give a **** less about their car or the others around them, and some have more money than brains.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Guitar
We like our cars, and put time + work + thought into them, so we take care of them. A lot of us value our money and efforts, where some people couldn't give a **** less about their car or the others around them, and some have more money than brains.
That's a great way to put it!.. Hell even if I was driving a little civic I'd exhibit better driving than some of the people I see out on the road, it's ridiculous what I see. California drivers for ya.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Anyone know the easiest process for removing fenders and bumper from another trans am. Found one at the salvage yard I am stripping next weekend. Also whats the best process for preparing them for paint since there not exactly metal
Old 11-21-2011, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well since he pulled infront of you if his insurence dont pay then sue them. looks to me like you well get more than enouph money to fix your car up and get a new paint job out of it.

for cleaning off your parts you could use stripper but make damn sure you get it all off before you go to prime or paint it. you could hand sand it but I wouldnt use a rotary sander you might take to much material off. I have heard of people using razor blades for fiberglass but not so sure id use it on whatever our bumpers and fenders are made of.

if you got the time I would hand sand it or maybe use a eletric flat sander.

there is always the option of just taking it all to the body shop and let them worry with it
Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 AM
10 Second Club

part it out, make money and buy a new one.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bummer....buy it back and swap it into something else or fix it. It doesn't look that bad
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

I plan on fixing it. Probably be fixed before the result of this insurance claim is even finished. There coming out to inspect it and take pictures tomorrow. After that I am free to start ripping the fenders and bumper off and begin working on it.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

great time for a 98up front cap
Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Well its a work in progress. The supporting bracket for the crash guard that holds the foam absorber on the passenger side is bent. I will be bending it back into position and doing some welding to strengthen it up. It appears I will be able to get the car back to its previous beauty once I get the whole front end off the donor car and get it painted.

Here it is as it sits right now.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Looking at it with the parts off, she held up beautifully. It looks to me like you'll be able to bolt it back together with little issue. I don't know much about claims (knock on wood), but make sure you have all the estimates and photos you need before getting it all fixed. Junkyard crawl ftw
Old 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Looking at it with the parts off, she held up beautifully. It looks to me like you'll be able to bolt it back together with little issue. I don't know much about claims (knock on wood), but make sure you have all the estimates and photos you need before getting it all fixed. Junkyard crawl ftw
Yeah I waited till my insurance company came over and did there inspection and got all pictures they needed. Then I started ripping it apart. It held up beautifully for sure just that minor issue on that passenger bracket next to the window washer fluid container but that can be fixed.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Doesnt look too bad at all. I got a 94 T/A and Im in Coronado. Did that T/A youre getting the front end off of have exhaust on it? I need the cats and catback.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BSmiff
Doesnt look too bad at all. I got a 94 T/A and Im in Coronado. Did that T/A youre getting the front end off of have exhaust on it? I need the cats and catback.
I will check Sunday when I am there removing everything.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Appreciate it bro. My car sounds like a dump truck with an open y pipe.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTOP350
That looks very very fixable

if they total these cars for that little bit of damage, it makes me glad i have collector's insurance on mine with agreed value.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah they really should of put a longer impact bar tho. Would a helped protect all the little things like the horn and **** that are in the hollow area in front of the headlight. The reason any insurance company would total it is simply for this reason. All the prices for new parts threw GM are insane. I can't go off the estimate given from any body shop simply for this reason. I am getting almost every part I need for the front end of my car for a measly 200 dollars. Paint will be my biggest expense. After finally removing everything to check out the problems I found this to actually be a simple fix with some manual labor.

The worst problem I found was this. We already know our plan for fixing it so we don't loose strength but any suggestions are welcome

Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Alright Guys. Here we go everything is finished.

Now she is ready for paint.

Quick Reply: Someone Left Turned in Front of me. RIP Trans Am