Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

COMPLETE HARD TOP roof replacements, who is interested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
Just repeating what I was told. My dealer is connected to a body shop and they actually just did a roof on a DTS and the windshield cracked. The tech who I was talking with about it(before it came up in this thread) has been doing body work for 25+ years and said that more often then not they crack. I'm sure it's different from car to car though.
I am sure you're 100% right it depends on the car and if the guy has experienced with other cars I can see why he'd be scared on ours...

However, there is absolutely positively no reason to worry. There is no correlation between the two (of course anyone can be doing anything on a car, drop a wrench and crack a winshield but I just mean removing the roof is as related to frying your transmission as it is breaking the windshield, on our cars).

Of course, if the shop is clueless and pry from the front AGAINST the windshield or for some idiotic reason think it needs to be removed, then yeah, problems.

Just let them know though, cut along the line in the back (just like you could for a t-top conversion, pry forward, it comes off no problems.

Then just rip off the sail panel part...
Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I am sure you're 100% right it depends on the car and if the guy has experienced with other cars I can see why he'd be scared on ours...

However, there is absolutely positively no reason to worry. There is no correlation between the two (of course anyone can be doing anything on a car, drop a wrench and crack a winshield but I just mean removing the roof is as related to frying your transmission as it is breaking the windshield, on our cars).

Of course, if the shop is clueless and pry from the front AGAINST the windshield or for some idiotic reason think it needs to be removed, then yeah, problems.

Just let them know though, cut along the line in the back (just like you could for a t-top conversion, pry forward, it comes off no problems.

Then just rip off the sail panel part...
I apologize for the misinformation. I hope I didn't veer anyone away from potentially buying a hardtop from you. I talked to another body tech yesterday and he agreed that 99% of the time the windshield cracks if you need to remove it. He's done some work on his friends 4th gen and said the same thing you did; the windshield does not need to be removed. Since that is the case I'd more then likely buy one since there's no chance of cracking my newly tinted windshield
Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just had the parts guy check on the hardtop panel and they are discontinued. Last time I checked was over 2 years ago so it looks like I'll be interested in your roof replacement.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark - Any way to use the hardtop roof mold to make a removeable hardtop cover for convertibles like how corvettes or miata's have them?

Reference Picture Link

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 02-08-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Mark - Any way to use the hardtop roof mold to make a removeable hardtop cover for convertibles like how corvettes or miata's have them?

Reference Picture Link
Are u referring to a targa top?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates? I never got a response via email after I asked if these were actually going to be made or not.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates? I never got a response via email after I asked if these were actually going to be made or not.

Go to his site, the part your wanting is on there and has been for a while.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, must have gone to spam or something... Between Jeff and I we are usually on top of it...

Yeah though, on the site so order away
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Sorry, must have gone to spam or something... Between Jeff and I we are usually on top of it...

Yeah though, on the site so order away
I already placed my order on Feb. 26 and got the 'LEAPYEAR' discount. I was under the impression that I would be notified when they went into production and were shipped. I believe I was the first one to place an order, I have the original email of my order if you'd like it.

The reason why I asked is because the last email I got from Jeff made it seem like you were still waiting for more orders/interest before they were going to be made.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Email sent.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

when will these ship out , my cousins husband ordered a glass one yesterday .

Quick Reply: COMPLETE HARD TOP roof replacements, who is interested?