Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

For those who work in autobody/painting -- How can I start? *Long Read but Cliffs*

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently am a shop bitch for a local shop and all 3 body guys are pretty cool, none have degrees but they know what they are doing, some of it isnt "totally" ethical. Im currently going to school for it, the 2 painters are really ignorant sons of bitches that laugh at the fact i go to school for it and tell me its useless.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Start hanging around a shop. I picked up everything I know by watching, listening and ******* **** up. Its virtually impossible to learn this trade in a class room
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Start hanging around a shop. I picked up everything I know by watching, listening and ******* **** up. Its virtually impossible to learn this trade in a class room
Im sorry, I disagree, none of the guys in my shop don't have degrees and it shows in some of the "good 'nuff" work they do, I have never been in a shop prior and i have a pretty good idea of what im doing for body work. some of them really down talk my education and tell me im wasting money. I dont think that it ALL comes from classroom, because it doesnt, but they act like its a book you read and its not, i spend the majority of my time in a lab, using new tools and learning to use them properly.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
Im sorry, I disagree, none of the guys in my shop don't have degrees and it shows in some of the "good 'nuff" work they do, I have never been in a shop prior and i have a pretty good idea of what im doing for body work. some of them really down talk my education and tell me im wasting money. I dont think that it ALL comes from classroom, because it doesnt, but they act like its a book you read and its not, i spend the majority of my time in a lab, using new tools and learning to use them properly.
I'm sorry, but you will never learn body work from a book. It takes experience. You might learn the proper steps and techniques but you still cant remake a difficult body line or lay down a slick paint job without experience. It takes years, some people cant do it reguardless what they do.

The guys you work with sound the exact oppisite from the old guys I do. They can hammer out a smashed panel or fab in quarter so clean it doesn't need but a skim. Their metal work is simply amazing. We do a lot of old, all metal, big body hot rods that actually take talent to get correct. Most of the new plastic late model cars now days are simple bolt together junk that doesn't pay ****. Probably why they say "good enough" lol
Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
I'm sorry, but you will never learn body work from a book. It takes experience. You might learn the proper steps and techniques but you still cant remake a difficult body line or lay down a slick paint job without experience. It takes years, some people cant do it reguardless what they do.

The guys you work with sound the exact oppisite from the old guys I do. They can hammer out a smashed panel or fab in quarter so clean it doesn't need but a skim. Their metal work is simply amazing. We do a lot of old, all metal, big body hot rods that actually take talent to get correct. Most of the new plastic late model cars now days are simple bolt together junk that doesn't pay ****. Probably why they say "good enough" lol
I know you don't learn it from a bool, but i spend the majority of "class time" in a lab getting hands on experience, they just treat me like I've never picked up a D.A or sanding block before and its offensive haha. Do you know education requirements in your shop or is it all just experience from people who grew up doing it?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
I know you don't learn it from a bool, but i spend the majority of "class time" in a lab getting hands on experience, they just treat me like I've never picked up a D.A or sanding block before and its offensive haha. Do you know education requirements in your shop or is it all just experience from people who grew up doing it?
I know exactly what you mean man, I was treated the same way. You've got to prove them wrong and show what you can do. Most old body guys always believe their way is better and you don't know jack.

I don't know the education requirements to even get a job in this industry. The guys I work with already had an established shop and were nice enough to teach me because I was hungry to learn.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

I definetly understand what your saying. And youre right. But to tell him that what hes doing is useless isnt right because its not useless they are teaching him the correct process to do things and the correct steps. There are alot of corners for him to cut once he gets experience, but thats for him to decide how he wants to use his skills. Youre also right about the old school people haha thats how i was taught

Quick Reply: For those who work in autobody/painting -- How can I start? *Long Read but Cliffs*