Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

For those who work in autobody/painting -- How can I start? *Long Read but Cliffs*

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who work in autobody/painting -- How can I start? *Long Read but Cliffs*

Hello, The automotive careers section is basically empty, so I thought I would post here since it seems quite a few who frequent this sub-section are in the field.

Basically, I want to do it all. I am always amazed as some of the fabrication work I see on T.V. I am also in love with Mcnord's car and his work.

I have tried to get a job as a helper/apprentice at a few local bodyshop's and have had a couple interviews, but they wanted me to have at least 2 years experience and all the tools.

I worked a little over a year at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership as a "painter assistant". My uncle was the bodyshop manager and after a few hurricanes in 2004 (Florida) the dealership was packed, so he asked me if I wanted to "learn a trade".

I worked under another painter, learning how to prep cars for paint. (I had a little experience because I painted my first car, an 87 Trans Am with the help of same uncle.) (2 weeks after I got my drivers License I was being a jackass in the rain and took it through a chain link fence.) [305 too strong! ]

Basically, I would primer/sand/block/tape cars, and the main painter would spray. Eventually I got to paint trim peices hoods/bumpers, and I painted a few single stage cars. I did pearls on some bumpers but never an entire base/clear or pearl car.

I never got to learn any type of body work, We had 4 body men, 2 painters, and myself. They explained to me that 90% of most shops, u do everything yourself, body work/frame work, prep, and paint.

Eventually the dealership went out of business, we all left and I never got a job in the field again. My uncle has now moved to Boston and with a divorce he isn't quite my "uncle" anymore, and we don't speak. Last I heard he opened up his own shop in Boston.

My wife has mentioned that I should goto a tech school, but the local programs seem like you don't learn much or it's something that I could learn from youtube. (I could be mistaken, no offense to anyone.)

So --- What should I do?

*** Cliffs ***

- Use to work as a painter assistant for ~ 1 year.
- Learned how to prime/sand/block/mask/spray (Single stage cars, trim peices/bumpers for BCCC)
-Been ~6 years since then, haven't done anything in the field since.
-Wanting to get back into the trade (as a career, 25 ATM and a lost/confused late bloomer)
-Not sure what route to take - School? Keep applying? Try Maaco or something?.
-Everyone that I know in the field is older and all just learned when they were 16 or younger and have just done it their entire life.

My ultimate goal would be to restore classic cars or some type of custom paint/fabrication (Whose isn't?). I am very meticulous with my work, I also really enjoy detailing cars if this can somehow help with my path.

Thank you for your time and advice!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned by volunteering my time at a shop. They recognized my interest and would pull me to the side to teach me. As I learned, they let me do more and more. I did everything except frame straightening and welding in new patch panels. Obviously, volunteering won't put food on the table, but what I learned was priceless to me.
Volunteering is also a great way to network to get those opportunities that pay.
The best people to learn the trade from are those that do it everyday.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to school for it. Some community colleges offer auto body courses. There are lots of technical institutes that offer auto body too. That would be your best bet. Most of them will even help you find a job in the field when you graduate. Other than that you could apply for a detailing position at a body shop. Just make yourself useful and learn stuff in your down time and hopefully get promoted.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i too worked auto body right after high school.....a big hail storm cause a lot of back log at the shop.....i would recommend your local community college over those schools you see on TV....and usually they can hook you up with a job after graduation
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM

I am a Autobody Tech and never went to college or trade school. My personal suggestion would be to get as much literature as you can from DIY books to maybe a few I-Car books. Learn what you can and take an ASE certification test in the fields that you have studied. The tests are relatively inexpensive i think like 30 bucks each. That will give a potential employer the guarantee that you atleast know what steps and processes are involved in the Autobody trade. Employers realize that you cant just go to school and be an amazing body man and I have seen alot of people in my situation (no college) that are actually better in the shop than those who have a diploma. There is a learning curve in every trade I will be the first to admit that even though i have been doing body work for almost 5 years i still get stumped. You learn everyday and the day you stop learning is the day you need to find a new career. Also don't try for jobs at the big name body shops and dealerships look for a mom and pop or family owned business. They are more willing to give you a chance. Face it they probably have 100 applications on their desk to choose from. When i first started out I applied for probably 20 plus bodyshop jobs in about 2 weeks and finally found a family owned business that started me out at a relatively low wage washing cars and doing stuff like bumper covers and assembly on the side. Within a month i was promoted to a Autobody Tech and got a raise and within another 2 months I had another raise and now i do everything from frame work to sheetmetal repair (quarters and rockers ect.) Just stick it out, study hard in your free time, and knock on doors.

To summarize:
STUDY - I-Car, SA Books (out of minnesota) ect.
Certified - ASE, I-Car ect.
Potential Employer - Find a small shop willing to give someone a chance.

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, the only school I've found that is close is the local tech school.

http://www.myptec.org/?page=AutoBodyApprentice

It's 4 years long, 2000 working hours, 160 class room hours per year.

Special Admission Requirements
A person must be at least 18 years old, currently working in a related job and have the ability to flex schedules and arrange transportation to evening classes. You must be recommended to this program by your employer.

I don't understand though, If I'm already working at a bodyshop, and I'm doing my 2000 hours a year (Full time), what is the point of paying this school? 160 classroom hours can't be much, thats ~3 hours a week of class work. I guess I'm just paying the school over 4 years time so I can test for ICAR and ASE?

Issue is, I already need to be in the field. Maybe I will apply to all the dealerships for detailing positions as well like above and see if I can eventually move to the bodyshop.

Edit: Thanks Jack91Z28 -- I didn't see your post til after I posted this reply. I have not tried many mom and pop shop. The best bodyman at the job that I worked was a 50 year old Jamaican man who could barely read/write but did amazing work. Did a lot of custom stuff on the side as well. He told me in Jamaica you can't hardly order anything new, especially when he was younger, so no matter how bad something was damaged, you just had to fix it.

Last edited by BigB02Z28; 12-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM

The best training you can get is on the job training for sure. We have hired guys straight out of autobody school before and they seemed to know way less than the guys that have worked at previous body shops for less than a year.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

SAVE your money get a job washing cars,let them know you would like to work your way into bodywork. Work hard and then you'll get your shot. Don't go buy a bunch of tools n a big toolbox that you can't afford. Get a basic set of sockets, wrenches, body hammer n dolly kit from harbor freight or somewhere like that. Once you get some skill n speed you'll start to make some good money, then you can get some better tools.
Try to work hourly for about the first year, then go commission .
Get some beat up parts n practice fixing them will help you learn faster also. Usually takes a few years to learn good enough to make good money, but it's rewarding non the less.
Good luck!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 best body & paint guys I know have dealership or self taught themselves Practice on old hoods from a junkyard If you must seek out a school I would shoot for WyoTech a couple of guys i know that went there full term are good too If you WANT to learn & do bodywork thats a start Most people dont know how much work it is I just stripped my 95 T/A & the ole ladies Dad is helping with bodywork and paint Hes one of those self taught guys & has done cars to semis & winning show cars Study and take the ASE test & get your certs then a company should be more appt to hire you & look presentable 1st impression goes along ways
Old 12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

i went to school for autobody and didnt learn very much, after i got my degree i got a job at a body shop and i wish i wouldve just went straight into the field instead of wasting money to go to school for it, having my degree didnt get me better pay, in order to get better pay i had to have the expierence
Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Default body work

i would see if you can get your foot in the door with someone you know. my dad has done body work for 36 years and i just help him in the winters when im layed off but if you are learning from the right person you can be productive in a matter of months, he saw potential and thought i wont have to work as hard so he started wanting me to work more and more. the money will come with experience though your gona start by making 25 to 30 grand a year but once your productive you can put your 40 hours in and turn 60 to hundred hours a week! good luck
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all comes down to what type of shop you get your foot into.my teacher has 40 years of experience in auto body and he said he seen top of line shops do half *** work.but it is true you do master it out in the filed.it will be good idea to go to school first and try to get job or volunteer at body shop just to get your foot into door.because in school you will learn how to do it the RIGHT WAY even though there is a lot of different way of doing things in auto body.and how much effort you willing to put in it.and just because you went to school doesn't mean you will start as painter.most likely you will start as:painter helper,body men helper,detailer and work your way up.and sense you already have some experience in auto-body you should be good.i currently go to auto-body school and i have learned so much.and i get I-CAR POINTS which is really big in auto body these days.and i am also volunteering at body shops.after all its good career to get into.good luck!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Hey I've been considering joining the auto body repair industry too. I excelled greatly in my 3 years of classes in auto repair offered by a Des Moines high school. This was several years ago, I was young and followed my friends to college instead. All of the shops are closed today so I can't drive up and ask them this: What is generally meant by "Must have own tools"? I know it will differ but does that generally refer to hang sanders, wrenches, sockets, etc.? Where does would the "basic tools needed" list stop? Thanks guys! I appreciate and am very grateful for LS1Tech!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Getting your Certs is the easiest way. Although it is still going to be tough in bigger citys. There is alot of competition out there. Even if you get your certifications alot of people will pick a old school painter thats been doing it for 30-40+ years over someone with the same certs with only 5 years. ASE is mainly looked at now at the majority of shops putting ICar certifactions on the back burner.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Teching In

That makes complete sense Are there other ASE tests besides the B series that are game-changers? I know the more the better, but I obviously don't want to study/take tests that won't help my auto body career (I know that most all of them would put me ahead of john doe, but no one wants to pay for things that won't significantly further their career). I am mainly curious about what tools you should hit the field with as an entry level body-man. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MurderShow
That makes complete sense Are there other ASE tests besides the B series that are game-changers? I know the more the better, but I obviously don't want to study/take tests that won't help my auto body career (I know that most all of them would put me ahead of john doe, but no one wants to pay for things that won't significantly further their career). I am mainly curious about what tools you should hit the field with as an entry level body-man. Thanks a lot!
Well i would just knock out as much as you can and constantly get yourself out there. You said you had already once been working in the shop once as a prep assistant or something? If you get your foot in the door again somewere now... not only are you getting noticed but now you also have ASE to back you up, they should start letting you work on little things as kind of like a proving ground. then next time a situation arises and someone needs to be called to get it done they have you and know that you have performed every time they called on you.

Some of this is also for the OP haha
Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Thank you for your incite. The way you put it is encouraging. I'll let you know where I end up soon

Old 08-24-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MurderShow
Thank you for your incite. The way you put it is encouraging. I'll let you know where I end up soon

Not a problem. The hardest part about getting into such a profession is finding somewere to proof yourself.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

i own a shop and if you want to get in to this you need to find a small shop that does everything from insurance work to restorations, get in as a shop bitch and be a sponge, i let all of my guys come in on weekends and help me with things where i explain where and why im doing what im doing, you will not find a dealership that will do that, big shops are all just parts changers, and about production, if you want to learn the art you have to go to where the are is still being performed!

If you are clueless go to a tech collage do not go to one of the expensive one wast of money and have had some of the shittiest employes come out of them.

the thing to remember is this is an art always lots of ways to get to the some what the same outcome. A mechanic job is more strait forward and logical.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99427camaro
i own a shop and if you want to get in to this you need to find a small shop that does everything from insurance work to restorations, get in as a shop bitch and be a sponge, i let all of my guys come in on weekends and help me with things where i explain where and why im doing what im doing, you will not find a dealership that will do that, big shops are all just parts changers, and about production, if you want to learn the art you have to go to where the are is still being performed!

If you are clueless go to a tech collage do not go to one of the expensive one wast of money and have had some of the shittiest employes come out of them.

the thing to remember is this is an art always lots of ways to get to the some what the same outcome. A mechanic job is more strait forward and logical.
"if you want to learn the art you have to go to where the are is still being performed! "

Perfectly said

Quick Reply: For those who work in autobody/painting -- How can I start? *Long Read but Cliffs*