Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Prepping car for paint. I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping car for paint. I need advice

I am going to be having my whole car painted but I am trying to keep it cheap so I am going to do all the sanding myself. What exactly do I need to do? Wet sand or dry sand? Do I just need to go threw the clear or all the way to the metal? How about the plastic/fiberglass bumper and fenders? Still waiting to hear back from my uncle that knows how but I figured I would get some advice from some of you that have done it.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Teching In

This is what i have seen done, if im wrong someone please correct me. My dad has sanded down just past the clear with a wet sand 400. so far he has had no problems with this (at least 10 years) . Same goes for all the parts hope this helps!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

It's according to what's wrong with the existing paint, is it pealing, is their any dents ect.
If it's pealing feather out the edges( feather means to sand the rough edges smooth) you will sand threw doing this, use a DA or a sanding block. Do not use your hand.you will need to primer the feathered spots with a 2k primer do not use spay bomb primer. It is usually laquor based and can cause problems when painting. After the primer is dry use 500-600 wet dry or 600 on a DA with a soft interface pad on the DA. 600 the whole car, then use grey scuff pads to scuff the panels, get the edges also( you want the car to look dull everywhere, no shiny spots) you can scuff with some spay can window cleaner to clean the car good before you dry scuff for a nicer job, just spray the window cleaner on 2ft section at a time scuff it wet then wipe dry, after you do this to the whole car go back with a dry scuff pad and get the rest of the shiny off.
Also before you start,and when you get done sanding n scuffing wipe off with wax n greese remover.
If you got any questions about fixing dents I can try to walk you threw it, good luck.