Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Explain to me the different types of body filler

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Explain to me the different types of body filler

Ok, I'm getting ready to apply some body filler to my 1/4 panel on my 02 Fbody. It's pretty straight. I had to weld in a plate to cover the antenna hole and then grind it all down.

I'm trying to figure out what type of body filler to use. I'm going with either Rage, Evercoat or Z-grip (which I heard are good fillers). I've heard of lightweight, heavyweight and glazes. Can someone explain to me the different types of uses for each type and what I should be looking to get.

Thanks

Last edited by Danny; 01-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rage is good stuff and will work good for you. You may want to get a thing of evercoat putty also, fill the low spots with the rage, then a thin coat of putty over that, then primer( the putty smoothes the filler and helps eliminate pinholes) make sure you use a hard sanding block. Sand the rage with 80 and the putty with 180-220 and feather the edges( smooth edges of the filler/putty to the body).then block the primer with 320 and then wet sand with 500.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So do I buy the lightweight stuff or what? What's the glaze for?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 AM

Glaze is for small tiny pin holes and get the good body filler because it will save you tons of time and money in sandpaper because it sands easier. Brands do matter when it comes to this stuff!

http://www.spraypaintcar.com/bondo-b...er-basics.html
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM

oh, forgot to mention start with 80 grit on the filler at first then move up in grits!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So what's the lightweight and heavyweight stuff for?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Every body shop I have been in has used evercoat.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Yeah. its the best.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

We use SMART

-Lightweight
-Premium
-Glaze
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Evercoat's quantum is the best stuff out there right now. Also its the only filler that is corrosion resistant, Quantum 100490 Large repair is what I use at my shop, it sands nice and you can get it in half gallons. It runs about 25 dollars for a half gallon, which would be plenty to smooth over a antenna hole. It is slightly thicker than rage gold or rage extreme. But, like I said it does seem to sand easier and if left sit for a couple days it still sands pretty easy. Also it can be thinned down with evercoats 1249 plastic honey, especially after you have your repair roughed out and your ready for your last fill. You can thin it down to about the consistency as glaze and it will still dry and sand properly unlike rage gold or rage extreme when it is thinned down. The benefit to using the honey to thin down your filler is that you don't have to buy as many products, especially for such a small repair.

I actually just filled in a antenna hole this afternoon, I haven't spread any filler on it yet, I can post some pictures of my repair process if it would be of any help.

-Bad Brad Buck
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by houseofboost
Evercoat's quantum is the best stuff out there right now. Also its the only filler that is corrosion resistant, Quantum 100490 Large repair is what I use at my shop, it sands nice and you can get it in half gallons. It runs about 25 dollars for a half gallon, which would be plenty to smooth over a antenna hole. It is slightly thicker than rage gold or rage extreme. But, like I said it does seem to sand easier and if left sit for a couple days it still sands pretty easy. Also it can be thinned down with evercoats 1249 plastic honey, especially after you have your repair roughed out and your ready for your last fill. You can thin it down to about the consistency as glaze and it will still dry and sand properly unlike rage gold or rage extreme when it is thinned down. The benefit to using the honey to thin down your filler is that you don't have to buy as many products, especially for such a small repair.

I actually just filled in a antenna hole this afternoon, I haven't spread any filler on it yet, I can post some pictures of my repair process if it would be of any help.

-Bad Brad Buck

Ya, if you can post up pics that would be good. I haven't done it yet but I just finished filling in the 3 holes on the 1/4 panel that hold the spoiler. The 1/4 panel I welded in came off an RS so it had the holes. I wanna start laying down the filler later this weekend. I just need to finish moving all my tools to my new house and I'm good to go. Finally a two car garage to work in.

As for the filler, you suggest buying the Evercoat Quantum along with the plastic honey to thin it down if needed? So if I buy these two would it replace me having to buy filler and glaze?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Evercoat rage extreme is really good stuff less issues with pin holes.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

so are you going over tinny holes (filling them in) if so you need a fiberglass filler one brand is evercoat. the mosture cant go threw the fiberglass but can through regular light and final filler. so you need a fiberglass filler (not cloth fiberglass, it looks like regular filler can. if you have any holes i mean any holes the mosture will go threw the hole to the filler then bulbble the paint,

but i would if i was you i would filler it with evercoat sand with 36, then lay the regular light filler bulk sand with 80,180, 280 then glaze or final putty, then sand to 280 to 320 then primer surfacer it and wet sand to 400 to 600 then ur read for base. just make sure you feather egde everything out good.

but any brand will work if you only doing a little spot i would go with 3m there the cheapest and it sands ok but it half the price as half and it does the same thing

Last edited by tt383lt1; 02-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not filling in anything big. I've straightened the body out as best as I can using a straight edge to check my work. I'm going to spray some primer on it and block it to do a final check. I'm basically going to be using the filler to block the 1/4 panels so that I don't have any waves or imperfections in it. I'll post up a few photos of my project.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Rage Extreme is very good. I had used the Gold but won't since I found the Extreme. It almost like using glazing putty.

You can start w/ 80 but should use it just for shaping. Then jump to 150 then 220. If you still have some 150 scratches in it put a thin coat of glazing putty of that then sand it w/ 220. Use some decent filler primer after that, sand w/ 220 then wet 400.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't spread any filler on the passenger quarter where I filled the antenna hole, I will post some tomorrow. I didn't think to take any photos while I was welding in that piece, Actually someone had already welded a piece in, but they just laid a piece of metal behind the hole and welded it up. Not really the nicest way to do it, its definitely fast and easy but its just not a clean look. In my case with a piece already welded in I was able to use a hole saw to cut it out and then trace out a patch on a piece of paper then transfer that to some sheet metal and then final fit it in the hole. I left about a 1/16 of an inch gap all the way around my patch allowing me to butt weld the it in with no backing.

This is the proper way to fill the hole, its not the fastest or the easiest. Also it looks way nicer on the inside of the quarter panel, not that most people care what it looks like in there, but I do. So if done properly, no one would be able to look in there and see that there is a piece crudely welded to the back of the antenna hole.

There is a lot of damage on this quarter panel other than just the antenna hole, that is why I'm stripping the entire panel. If your just fixing the antenna hole there would be no need for this.
Attached Thumbnails Explain to me the different types of body filler-camaro-1.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-camaro-2.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-camaro-3.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-filler-1.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Here a some pictures of the process. If your just fixing the antenna hole your filler work should not be near as in depth.
Attached Thumbnails Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart2.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart3.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart4.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart5.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart6.jpg  

Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart7.jpg   Explain to me the different types of body filler-burkhart8.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Z grip works pretty well to, and you can thin it a bit with metal glaze.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by houseofboost
Here a some pictures of the process. If your just fixing the antenna hole your filler work should not be near as in depth.
That's some nice work there. I'm actually doing both 1/4 panels. Fixing some dings here and there and then blocking it. I'm going to be taking both panels down to bare metal to start a good foundation. Do you think a 1/2 gallon is enough to do both 1/4 panels?

Also, can this stuff be used on the doors as well or is fiberglass filler a better choice?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

It can be used on fiberglass, I actually just used it on a 68 camaro with a fiberglass body. Fiberglass filler typically doesn't finish out that nice so unless I was filling over a patch panel or a really nasty low spot I would stick with the regular filler. When I do use a fiberglass filler like kitty hair or tiger hair I always go over it with some type of regular filler or glaze. I fixed both of those quaters with a little over a half gallon so if your just fixing dings I would think a half gallon would be plenty.

Quick Reply: Explain to me the different types of body filler