Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Repaint- New panels or strip paint (cheaper?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Repaint- New panels or strip paint (cheaper?)

Hi guys, first post in this section.....

I have an 01 Black SS. It was repainted a few years ago before I bought it, and the ***** starting to peel / crack. Its still factory paint underneath too. Makes me think they just sprayed w/o ANY prep whatsoever.

Is it cheaper to:

1) Sand off both coats of paint and then get it resprayed?

2) Buy new panels (front bumper, fenders, rear bumper, berger) and just paint them from scratch? Figured it would be cheaper if they only have to strip the mirrors, sail panel, and rear quarters.

I know jack **** about paint and body; Not even the sanding part. All I've ever done was my Whistler headlights, and even that was a harrowing experience for me.

Also, and reccomendations for a paint shop in my area?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's easier to replace, but will cost about the same. Try some stripper that's safe for plastic/fiberglass and go to town.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I'm seriously considering just stripping my aftermarket parts, selling the car and picking up one that wasnt painted like ****. I don't see how you'd ever get it back to factory.

Paint oversprayed on seals, inside jambs, covering seams. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

probably a macco paint job, but i wouldnt sell it just because it needs painted, i would sand it down, but thats just me, i hate messing with stripper, its a PITA
Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Thanks guys. I'm just frustrated I guess.

I thought it was either Maaco or Fact-o-Bake. Maybe it would just be better to take it in, have them sand it down, and just reshoot the whole car.

Any ideas on just a "ballpark" of what I'd be looking at to sand and shoot the entire car again?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same color or color change? 3-5000 same color 4500 and up for color change
Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Definately same color. Although I've grown VERY fond of that new black metallic that Cadillac came out with for the CTS-V. Pockets aren't that deep yet, though.

PPG is a good choice for paint? 5k really isn't all that bad for a GOOD paint job.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been at 3 different shops, only one had ppg... And they dropped it like a bad habit.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

PPG, Dupont, Diamont, Sikkens, they are all good paint brands
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Is there any money to be saved if I bring all the parts in seperately, already taken apart? Then bring the car on a trailer, but all taped up and ready for the sail and quarter panels? Or is it better for them to shoot the car all together?

Sorry if these questions seem elementary. Haven't ever dealt with paint before on any car I've owned.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's one of those questions that you really need to see the car in person to answer correctly. How bad is it peeling? In how many areas? Can you blow the paint off with compressed air?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I know. I work offshore and only come up with these questions while I'm out here and have nothing else to do..... It would have been a bright idea to snap some pics beforehand.

The rear and front bumpers are peeling pretty good. There's cracks and bubbling in the rear quarters and the front fenders in several spots. About the size of your hand. And theres bubbles around the grooves for the SS hood.

Without knowing how good the prep job was, I'm afraid that if we sanded the shitty spots and then repainted, the other would eventually peel that we didn't find or sand.

** I can peel them pretty easy with a finger nail, and REALLY easy with a pressure washer.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pressure wash as much off as possible when you take it in, they will love you for that.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

I'd go and rent a steam jenny type power washer (hot water 180*+) this will remove any paint that is not factory ....I have done to many cars like this it will take about 2 hours to remove all of the paint and clean up is easy with the power washer.... just be carefull around the plastic dont spray straight into it you may cut/mark it.... and the best part is no stripper mess stuck in the seams ......I just picked up a 98 Z and the clear is lifting all over the place and it has a repaint and I'm going to do this in the next month or so and then get the car sprayed
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Funny you mention that.... I used one at an oilfield tool shop to clean some wheels I had.... took the damned clear RIGHT OFF. Oops. That's not a half bad idea.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Thanks guys. I'm just frustrated I guess.

I thought it was either Maaco or Fact-o-Bake. Maybe it would just be better to take it in, have them sand it down, and just reshoot the whole car.

Any ideas on just a "ballpark" of what I'd be looking at to sand and shoot the entire car again?
Sounds like the same Maaco job that was on my last car, the guy I bought the car from had paid an extra 100 bucks on top of Maaco's 500 for the paint for I think it was called "surface prep", basically sanding down the spots where the factory clear was bubbled and peeling and you could see ever spot they sanded before spraying the single stage enamel, and after less then 2 years I had a big spot on my hood where it peeled up and took the factory paint with it.

Personally I'm from the school of fresh paint bonds best to primer, so sand or strip, then buy what I call a cheap "throw away gun" ones under 40 bucks tape off and spray on a coat of primer and then use a process of wet sanding starting with 200-grit, then 400-grit as recommended by most primers that will give the paint shop a better base to start from and a high build primer will give you a chance to eliminate any little door dings and buggy (shopping carts) dings that may be on the body.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP...

I have a 2002 and when I bought it last year it had a mat (spray can) paint job on it. It's my project car so time isn't a factor but it's been taking forever. This car had 4 layers of paint on top of the factory paint...NO JOKE!!! It was so think that I was peeling the paint off the doors with a spatchula type blade which took hrs. But if done right this is what you have to do. Just take your time sanding and it'll come out good.

I don't know what idiots painted this car before but it wasn't a quality paint job. Everything from the interior to the seals had overspray.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Danny
To the OP...

I have a 2002 and when I bought it last year it had a mat (spray can) paint job on it. It's my project car so time isn't a factor but it's been taking forever. This car had 4 layers of paint on top of the factory paint...NO JOKE!!! It was so think that I was peeling the paint off the doors with a spatchula type blade which took hrs. But if done right this is what you have to do. Just take your time sanding and it'll come out good.

I don't know what idiots painted this car before but it wasn't a quality paint job. Everything from the interior to the seals had overspray.
I think the same guy painted our cars....

Quick Reply: Repaint- New panels or strip paint (cheaper?)