Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wet Sanding the entire car!!! GRRR

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Sanding the entire car!!! GRRR

I painted the car with a buddy of mine. We did some research and decided to give it a shot. We've both painted small projects but an all over was interesting to try. I'm a fan of DIY stuff and ownership of the project/play toy. It feels good to be able to say that i did it myself-even if I screwed it up a bit...

Only issue was doing it in GA humidity and heat and our limited knowledge, we used a fast activator. The base and first 2 coats of clear went on smooth. The 3rd coat started to orange peel. Heat, fast activator and tacky coats below, I guess anyway, and the 3rd coat dried before it could smooth out. It got a fourth coat since I knew I was now going to wet sand the whole car.

Didn't know enough about it I guess. But it was fun trying and I guess the worst thing I have to do is sand the whole car again. Live and learn...
Pre-paint:

Painted

Painted
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Looks pretty good in the pictures
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you do any color sanding?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Did you paint the car with all the body parts on it or did you take the spoiler, bumper, etc off and paint separately? It looks pretty good in your pics.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't finished color sanding it. I'm in the middle of it now. Started at the driver's quarter panel and working my way around bits at a time. Above the trim mold first. 2000 Grit, followed by some sharpie marks in places in need to hit again with 3000 grit. The places I've finished and buffed, look good by me.

I did take everything off. I didn't post pictures of all of that but everything came off. Window moldings, bumpers, mirrors, spoiler, wheels & tires, lights and the rear panel that says camaro.

The pictures don't look bad and the car doesn't look bad at all from 30 feet away, but get close to it and it's annoying.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Orange peel in tye clear should be able to be wet sanded out with 1000 and 1500. Then buffed. Can i see some close up pics of the worst areas?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

And taping that scoop to my liking was a beast! None of it is perfect but it's mine. I didn't pay anyone (except buying materials) and turned every single nut or bolt myself or my buddy.

I hate that it didn't turn out better than it did. But I learned a lesson and I'm fixing it myself too.

It makes it all worth it. Even the headaches and scratching my head at stuff I'm trying to figure out...just feels good to work on your own stuff...
Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear ya if i ever get it repainted i will do it my self the truck i painted cam out great put i also had borrowed a climate controled paint booth. It came out perfect but i think its all in the booth and prep.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Its hard to see in the camera.
I threw in a couple of the places I've just started sanding so you can see it better.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
I hear ya if i ever get it repainted i will do it my self the truck i painted cam out great put i also had borrowed a climate controled paint booth. It came out perfect but i think its all in the booth and prep.
Agreed. Our booth worked great for keeping out the trash but was absolutely not climate controlled...I think that killed us combined with inexperience and using that dog gone fast activator.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Whoops...I see a run in there too...lol...oh sigh.

I tried to get it to flow a little too much right there once I saw it orange peeling...oh well...wasn't sweating it much at that point. I'd already realized that wet sanding was in my future. Can't help but laugh. Maybe some jobs are better left for the pros...but I'm having fun
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a blast redoing the 77 c100. Even chopped the top wanted to do something different. Also did candy apple red mettalic for the body all emblems removed the did flat black on bumper and grill. Hardest part was chopping the top. Took for every to get it smooth all filled in with metal no body filler. Also completely took everything off frame sand blasted it and 1 stage paint and clear. The car know has no rust and i was very proud i did the work. The guy that i did it for even let me sign under the hood and on the tail gate it says i painted it.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1
Whoops...I see a run in there too...lol...oh sigh.

I tried to get it to flow a little too much right there once I saw it orange peeling...oh well...wasn't sweating it much at that point. I'd already realized that wet sanding was in my future. Can't help but laugh. Maybe some jobs are better left for the pros...but I'm having fun
I am right there with you on the wet sanding. ******* soggy shoes and sore shoulders. Take one panel at a time and make sure it is flat with no peal or runs before moving on. Lots and lots of work but the end result is worth it.

Yours looks really nice from the pic.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

doesnt look bad at all for a first timer, couple words of advice, i wouldnt use a fast activator especially in a garage, that wouldve helped out with less orange peel, and when you "cut" (wet sand) and buff just do about a 1 ft x 1ft area (wet sand, buff/polish that area then move on), i know it seems really time consuming doing it that way, but you will thank me later rather than doing large areas
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think my red car is so bad, even with the orange peel your outcome is lot better than my stock paint.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Hey man at least you had the guts to try something for yourself and your having fun doing it. You would have never known unless you tried it..

I changed the valve springs on my engine this weekend, took my time and actually had fun doing it. Everything went pretty smooth from reading all the tips on here ahead of time. Got to clean up my valve covers, coils, brackets...it was work, but like you said, it was fun....that's what it is all about..

Don

Don
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not bad at all. What brand of tpaint did you use?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

I don't remember the brand. It was Keystone purchased...medium quality base coat and PPG clear. I honestly just don't remember. My buddy that helped me knows a couple guys that paint. They recommended some stuff. So we went with it. I had $320 (Gave me the wholesale price) bucks in base, clear, reducer, activator and some other odds and ends. Wax and grease remover, tack rags, etc.

I'm not displeased with it. I wish it had come out smoother but...I've got 96 days to a wedding that I'm saying for now that I'm driving the car to our honeymoon. I start college at night after work again next week, so I'm trying to get it straight while I've got a few hours in the evenings.

Every time I start sanding/buffing, about 5 minutes into it I really am thinking how I hate it. But about 5 minutes more, music is going and I'm totally focused and loving it.

Once I get moved into my new house, I've got a 2 car garage that my truck won't fit in, so I'll have all kinds of room to start my long over due H/C/I swap. Maybe I'll do torque converter and gear first. Just haven't made my mind up. TC swap and gear are both weekend jobs. I can have the car on the road again and driving it pretty quickly. I've got a feeling the H/C/I won't be as quick.

But I'm working on it slowly. I'll get this orange peel out of it, take it on one more road trip for the honey moon and hopefully it's going to turn into my Friday drive to work and weekend date night ride.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Great for your first time. And wet sanding the whole car sucks but really brings the shine out.

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding the entire car!!! GRRR