Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cheap Harbor Freight spray gun?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Cheap Harbor Freight spray gun?

Anybody use the cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight? I think it's somewhere around $15 or so...
My front end is in great need of a paint job and was curious about this setup
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will probaby work for you if you are you planning to color sand and buff.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A guy I work with used it on a hood and a few bumpers
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used them a couple times and it has worked fine. This was the gravity fed purple anodized.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

I started with this gun. I moved up a little better gun and now use the Harbor Freight one to shoot primers with the 1.8 tip.
The following users liked this post:
B52bombardier1 (03-19-2020)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Teching In

I have used them a lot. I painted 2 trucks, 1 camaro, and my bike with them. All turned out nice. I am too lazy to clean them, so I use them once and throw them away and buy more. Use the HF coupon and get them for $10.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

It will work, I used to use a CH gun from walmart and that thing worked awesome for the money just had to make sure I kept moving because of the larger tip.

I would try to find a gun with a 1.2 tip, as a beginner you'll be able to move slower and have less chance of runs.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the tips interchangeable on any of the Harbor Freight guns???

I bought one with a 1.4 tip to shoot my hi-fill primer. I might go buy another one for paint.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

The one I had used a 1.4 tip for topcoats and 1.8 tip for primers.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:49 AM

Default Their

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Anybody use the cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight? I think it's somewhere around $15 or so...
My front end is in great need of a paint job and was curious about this setup
Thanks!
Gravity Feed will work just fine..Only problem I've ever seen is with the painter. So if you can mix reducer and clear proper and you know how to actually shoot,then they work good. It's usually novice that claim to know how to do things that give some items a bad rap. Cup holds paint,you can adjust air/pattern,needle isn't bent,trigger is there- then guns done it's duty....rest is up to Painter. A gun has nothing to do with needing to color sand and buff...unless you spray dirt through it,or you leave lid off and dump clear coat on. Color sand/buff is for painter that doesn't control environment and painter(use term loosely) that buries on clear because he must love that Run effect to his paint job. Color/Buff is un needed extra work/cost and risk of that pro now burning paint- way for half assers claiming to ve painters to pass shoddy work
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I have not used a Harbor Freight gun but I have used a cheap China EBay paint gun with good success - these guns are all the same. Mostly for primer and chassis black engine bay painting. My gun seems to work well but the metal in the body of the gun is cheap. It sprays well but I don't believe that I will be able to clean the gun very many more times because I'm losing metal in the threads surrounding the flow control needle.

Rick
Old 03-19-2020, 09:24 AM

Default As for losing thread at flow set...

Body's are weaker on cheaper gun-it won't permanently fix but will prolong the life a little if you put some thread tape or silver anti-seeze on those threads,and replace as needed. It makes a smoother contact for surface of threads.
Just a band aid though....you'll have to decide at some point weather to stock with the Central Pneumatic guns because when they do wear out you can replace cheap with another, if you do this...keep your old guns for parts to possibly add life at no cost. Or if you are going to be painting quite a bit,I suggest shelling out for a pricier gun. I am partial to the ANIST hvlp,ever since purchasing mine,I will never use another brand. Well worth the money, Well built, and you won't find a better shooting gun in my opinion. And you won't have to keep readjusting fluid/air setting once you find your sweet spot,as long as you keep clean and NEVER over adjust because you will bend the fluid needle.
Hope some of this helps
Old 03-24-2020, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it to paint the hood on my car last year. It works good. Not perfect but good. I didnt even bother to clean it I just tossed it out. Overall finish was alright if your going to lay clear with it dont expect perfection.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working in different production shops I used SATA knock offs for primers and sealers. They worked fine. Almost always used my SATA guns for base and clear. Have 2 color guns and 2 clear guns. All the guns were immediately cleaned, meticulously, after each use. Have to agree with others here too painting is mostly the painter, the gun is just an extension of one's ability/experience. Cleanliness, mixed correctly, correct fluid cap/needle for what you are using, gun pattern, distance, travel speed, and last but not least surface preparation are all needed for good results. That being said, glad to see DIY members are having good success without having to spend a lot of money to get decent results.
If you are planning on doing a lot more look into getting a disposable cup system, 3m and SATA are popular in my area. This makes gun clean up a 1-2 minute job after painting. Plus you use less thinner or gun cleaning material for waterbornes.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

HF purple guns work well, Ive used them a lot. I have several high end guns and reach for the purple gun most often ( suspension, primer etc)
There are youtubes on modifying for primer.

I do a lot of remodeling and build many things other than cars. I hate rattle can paint - its a garbage finish - I can shoot tractor enamel with hardener with a few more minutes of prep.
These purple guns gets used for varnish, polyurethane, industrial enamel and urethane. Ive even shot latex thru them after the primer modification ( not fast but no brush marks on interior doors)
The following users liked this post:
L92 OLDS (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy it. The harbour freight guns work good and are a great value.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Ive have decent results with cheapy guns to. Mostly use them for primers and thicker paints. But i don't see why the cheapy finish guns wouldn't work well to.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

HF purple guns work really well. They are sometimes loaded with grease, so pull it apart and clean it well before use.

Quick Reply: Cheap Harbor Freight spray gun?