Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Spider Webbing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, well today, I got ALL of the spider webbing out. You can't see or feel them....

But now I'm left with 80 grit sanding marks, I followed it up with 180 and 320... it didn't take them away. So I tried 600.... 1000... nothing

Will the primer cover it up? How do I get rid of them? I will get pictures later.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Here's pictures

http://imgur.com/a/yQPpt#0
Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not in any way shape or form even really experience in painting but i believe you could try priming a spot a lottle bit then giving it a good wet sand and see how that turns out just in a spot if not try sanding it again with some finer sand paper
Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
i'm not in any way shape or form even really experience in painting but i believe you could try priming a spot a lottle bit then giving it a good wet sand and see how that turns out just in a spot if not try sanding it again with some finer sand paper
I tried it with 600 and 1000 and all it did was hurt my arm haha, the scratches still remained.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sand with 180 til the 80 grit marks are out, then with 320 til the 180 marks are gone. At that point you should be ready for epoxy primer and then you will see any imperfections that are left.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

If you use water based basecoat, you don't need the flex additive. Some of your real deep scratches may need a thin coat of glazing putty if you can't get them out with sanding.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
If you use water based basecoat, you don't need the flex additive. Some of your real deep scratches may need a thin coat of glazing putty if you can't get them out with sanding.
There not deep at all. I can't feel them with my finger, there just there. I think three coats of primer will cover them. As for the flex additive, this is the clear coat I'm using. Does it have it in it already?

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/auto_paint.asp
Ready To Spray Acrylic Lacquer Clearcoat
Use with spray gun and compressed air.

Automotive Clearcoat for use over basecoat color.

We carry two types of Clearcoat. Urethane Clearcoat and Acrylic Lacquer Clearcoat. Urethane clearcoat is a two component clearcoat which means 2 parts are mixed together. This product is more flexible, chemical resistant, has better gloss, and will last much longer than lacquer clearcoat. Once the 2 parts are mixed together the product cannot be reused later. Lacquer Clearcoat is a simpler product which is easy to use, easy to buff, extremely quick drying, and can be reused later. View Our Ready To Spray Paint Directions for more information on how to use our clearcoat products. Directions are included. Acrylic lacquer is much easier to apply and is an "air dry" clear. Breathing Respirators are required for these products.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Got the paint, painting is Saturday.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

It's finally going in for paint tomorrow! I will post progress pictures.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Got it painted... the bumper looks good, no cracking but... where I sanded to get rid of the spider webbing, you can see the marks. Everywhere I painted red, you can just see a little if you get all up on it. I'm picking it up this evening, how should I care for the paint? By that I mean, wet sanding, buffing, polishing, ect ect? Thanks

Spider Webbing-fapb2.jpg
Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Got it painted, looks great, few words of advice for the spider cracking.

SAND THE ENTIRE BUMPER DOWN EVENLY OR YOU WILL SEE THE MARKS WHERE YOU SANDED OUT THE CRACKS, ITS NOT BAD BUT STILL...

Heres the pictures!

Spider Webbing-pq4gx.jpg
Spider Webbing-xnnji.jpg
Spider Webbing-fcuxf.jpg
Spider Webbing-q9yod.jpg
Spider Webbing-aaln8.jpg
Spider Webbing-h0j3e.jpg
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For future reference a 2k high build primer after the 180 sanding would have leveled it out some. Then its all about hours upon hours of guide coat sanding and filling in the lowest spots with glaze. But it still looks good and Automotive Touchup sells a good product it will last for a long time!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by got milk??
For future reference a 2k high build primer after the 180 sanding would have leveled it out some. Then its all about hours upon hours of guide coat sanding and filling in the lowest spots with glaze. But it still looks good and Automotive Touchup sells a good product it will last for a long time!
Thanks, yeah, I was hoping the primer I had would hide it but of course it didn't. You can only see it in certain lighting.

Quick Reply: Spider Webbing