Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Looking for resources on Painting & Body Work

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Looking for resources on Painting & Body Work

Hey, I combed through the FAQ in the Sticky and its helpful but decided to pick up the body work hobby and looking for info to read through. I am a big "Process" guy so knowing what works best and steps is to me a big part of starting off in a good spot.

I detail like crazy but some car need a repaint and that's a tool I would like to have available. My personal cars get savaged by dings and dents so its all about having that tool/skill available and not have to pay more $$$ and use some sweat equity.

At this point I need up to date and solid reference materials to read through and get up to speed. I know you gotta go out and do it, so ill get some junk panels and practice but if anyone has good links for sites and books. Even recommendation on paint systems and equipment. Please feel free to share.

Appreciate your time!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to learn the right way to do things rather then half ***,then u should go to autobody school..that is your BEST resource..i will be graduating from autobody school in few months..i learned alot....and when it comes to painting reading online aint gonna cut it.tht takes alot of practice..but thts just my two cents...rest is up to u..
Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Internet Mechanic

I hear yea, school is not an option, Just a hobbiest. Married, life, blah, blah, blahs. Looking for a good start and going from there. I've done the same approach for all my hobbies and fairly successful at it.

So if anyone has some good sources to just thumb through, much appreciation. As it will lead to buying stuff and practicing.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Over the years I,ve borrowed several books from public library, purchase the occasional car magazine every few years with a paint theme , a little internet research on specific products, & purchased a few books from book store.The one book I will tell you to go buy is titled How to paint your showcar. It will give you a little more knowledge on upper end work to add on top of the general information.
One thing I will say about bodywork , like many trades there are certain mostly hard rules & many varying opinions on methods & product. I'll give an example. In the early 80's , a friend showed me how he used mostly paint stirring sticks for general sanding to block things out. Over the years, varietys of foam block collections have popped up, claiming to be the best thing. Fast forward to a few years ago, I start reading where some top finishers are making their own wood sticks for sanding. Guess we,ve come full circle.
Point is ,with proper skill, understanding, & dedication, Even a hobbyist painter can produce some good results without the best equipment or work area. Excellant colorsanding & buffing skills can make up for a lot of less than perfect application of paint.Good bodywork &prep skills are most important, without them you,ll be no better than a cheap paint shop..
Here,s a little inspiration. The fender was an open carport rush job, working past midnight (s), poor lighting, Dupont nason paint, you can see a couple of grey rub throughs. I was dizzy tired, couldn't see straight.The door next to it ( with chips) I did in 99' with chromabase at a top of the line shop on a weekend. Both shiny, right? Hope this inspires you to pick up the trade.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can practice on my P.O.S. cavalier
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

Some of it is knowledge. A lot of it is practice. Once you have an idea of what grits to use for what, it makes it a lot easier.

IMO, you kinda get a feel for it or what it should it look like. I painted a 94 Formula last year for a friend of mine. I listed a lot of the products I used and how I did some stuff. By no means is it educational but it might give you an idea of what goes into something like that.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...l#post15340150
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Start on small items wheels, single panel, patio furnature, whatever you can until you start to feel comfrontable with your gun, how to set it up, and the thickness of you paint that flows out reasonable flat but not too runny.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 905 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Start on small items wheels, single panel, patio furnature, whatever you can until you start to feel comfrontable with your gun, how to set it up, and the thickness of you paint that flows out reasonable flat but not too runny.
Good tip.

Paint your mail box. Hell paint the lawn tractor.....That's actually not a bad idea....
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Some of it is knowledge. A lot of it is practice. Once you have an idea of what grits to use for what, it makes it a lot easier.

IMO, you kinda get a feel for it or what it should it look like. I painted a 94 Formula last year for a friend of mine. I listed a lot of the products I used and how I did some stuff. By no means is it educational but it might give you an idea of what goes into something like that.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...l#post15340150
That is a killer write up!! I am asorbing everything. Like I said before, some people have some background and pics it up, I don't have a huge one so for me its just doing the homework and then getting into it and I like the small item idea. I have some thing I want to play with.

Quick Reply: Looking for resources on Painting & Body Work