Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

CHEAP paintjob for budget race car (foxbody)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHEAP paintjob for budget race car (foxbody)

First off i want to say one thing, I dont care about the resale value of this car because its in rough condition as it is.. the body is rough, the interior is trashed and the powertrain is coming out. So the paint job needs to be as cheap as possible.

I have a 90 Mustang LX that has a pretty rough body. This is going to be pretty much just a rarely driven street/drag car. I usually finish the powertrain before doing body work, but since the body work will be the cheapest part of the whole project (on this car anyway), i want to go ahead and get that out of the way first. The car was just painted a very ugly purple color right before I got it. I would like to paint it a satin black or a gloss black. The paint quality dosent have to look great, just not as bad as it looks right now. I dont have access to an air compressor so I was thinking about doing the rustoleum paint job with a roller and lots of wetsanding. Is this generally a good idea for a race car?

Also Ive already ripped out the interior and sprayed bedliner down in the floorpans. Im going to make some aluminum door panels and such. Next would be all of the little dings.. it would cost money to get new bumbers and fenders and ect.. they have little dings all over the fenders. Could I just fill everything in with fiberglass?
Attached Thumbnails CHEAP paintjob for budget race car (foxbody)-0513121658b_01.jpg   CHEAP paintjob for budget race car (foxbody)-0513121700_01.jpg   CHEAP paintjob for budget race car (foxbody)-0513121700a_01.jpg  

Last edited by IamSam; 06-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get really good results with spray cans or rollers, depending on how well you prep and what kind of time you take.

For instance,

Just depends on how much time you want to spend on it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Thats or just go to Macco & get their $500 special. Just make sure you do the prep work yourself so its done right.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
You can get really good results with spray cans or rollers, depending on how well you prep and what kind of time you take.

For instance, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJT...ONrQUP00wLK6Ig

Just depends on how much time you want to spend on it.
Wow that came out VERY good for the price... i definitely have alot more time than I have money so this would be perfect.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSam
Wow that came out VERY good for the price... i definitely have alot more time than I have money so this would be perfect.
I've been contemplating doing the same to my Jeep. I am just impatient as ****.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would totally do the roll on method. Seen it work well many times. Also seen it look like an art project many times. The guy in the vid took as many steps as possible I think. It looks great! Im guessing you couldnt do a metallic like this...

Ive also seen cheap spray jobs come out decent too. Even guys spraying outdoors. When you can sand out the bugs and dirt sometimes it works out haha.

Im wondering what the durability is with the process shown in the video. Ie... Whats it look like a few years down the road? UV kill it? Rain/Snow/Car covers destroy it?

Anyone have experience with a long term rustoleum job?

J.

Quick Reply: CHEAP paintjob for budget race car (foxbody)