Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Quarter panel damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quarter panel damage

Basketball goal came down on the SS. It has raised edges and looks pretty nasty. A shop quoted 900 to fix that, paint the panel, and paint the spoiler at the same time. Another shop quoted 600 for just that panel. I have painted before but don't want to mess the car up. Ideas?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go inside were the spare tire is and give it a nice pop with the heel of your palm and see if it pops out... use a blow dryer to warm up the paint or a heat gun (same concept as fender rolling, dont want to crack the paint) if you heat it up and giver it a nice pop it may just come right out.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's creased at all it won't come right out is the only thing.

Wouldn't something like that be covered under a comprehensive insurance, if this was from storm damage? Not sure where you live but I'm thinking about the storms that ripped through Indiana, Ohio, and Virginia and tore up the place.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Teching In

I'll check. I'm not sure how insurance works if it's our own basketball goal. Those storms were pretty nasty. Missouri missed them. I'm thinking dolly and hammer?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was the goal knocked over by the storm, then yes I would think it should be but I'm no insurance agent. If it wasn't by a storm, well that muddies the waters more and I'd probably not bother even checking with insurance.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

you would be better off if you could knock it out without painting the car... red NEVER matches like it should. it would look worse painting in than with just the dent...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
you would be better off if you could knock it out without painting the car... red NEVER matches like it should. it would look worse painting in than with just the dent...
I couldn't disagree more. For one, even if you were like the jesus christ of PDR that dent still is not going to "pop" out and look very good. Especially if you were to hammer and dolly it out with out repainting the panel. Second off, I have always had very good luck with panel shooting red, and if the body man was careful and didn't go too far forward with his repair then there will probably be some room to blend the color anyways. I've always found colors like silver, charcoal, gold, pewter, and metallic colors in general harder to match. Especially on late model car where the factory barely puts on enough base coat to cover the panel.

I just don't really get that man, so anyone with a red car should just live with whatever damage they have on the car?

And 900 dollars to repair the damage and paint the spoiler as well doesn't sound out of line.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$900 doesn't sound bad to me, you should get them to shave the antenna while they are doing the paint work.

Red is not a hard color to match, a skilled painter can match any color.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Theres a reason i dont buy red cars anymore... i had one and when the bumper got smashed and had to be replaced they sprayed the freakin think 5 times and it still never matched. My buddy's 02 Z28 had the hood bumper passenger fender and passenger door resprayed by the Dealership and his car has been garage kept its entire life and when hes at work its in a parking garage... the paint DOSNT MATCH... im not saying he shouldn't fix it.. im just saying the reality is red is hard to match.... Now if he had a Chameleon car or somthing with a similar paint job to fords Mystic cobra... then id say hes Fu**ed.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont agree with Red being that hard to match... **** I bought a china made $280 painted front bumper off of Ebay and it matched perfect. I paid $100 to have my rear bumper painted off of the car and again it matched perfect and the guy sucked at painting.
I have never had any panel blended either.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TyCZ28 - Man you need to find a better body shop. Also just because a dealership has a body shop doesn't mean that they are good. Some of the worst body shops I have ever seen have been dealership shops. Anyone that paints a solid color 5 times and can't match it needs to find another area of work to do, that is pathetic.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's what Id do.....get to the back side and pop it out, then dolly it as close as you can. 180 all the paint off the damaged area and wipe with filler. Block it down with 180 and go back over with 320 feathering the edge past the 180. Wipe again and repeat if needed, I like to wetsand my body filler before prime. Tape off the dent, prime and sand again with 600. Wetsand the rest of the quarter and blend panels with 1000. Clean everything with wax and grease remover. Spray the quarter red, on your second base coat pull the paper back and lightly hit your blend panels. Clear with 3 coats and let it sit over night, next day wetsand with 1500 and buff with a wool pad.

If its as hot as it is here good luck getting it right. Honestly as much work as its going to take, unless your a seasoned body man Id just pay the $900 and let someone else do it. Either way good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Paint matching is one thing.... accounting for the faded *** clear coat is another thing.... in case this is news to some. Red pigment fades out faster than ANY OTHER paint color... also older clear coats (these are 10+ year old cars) oxidize and get UV damage and turn slightly yellow.. new UV resistant clears are not going to be like that when you spray... so even if your the God of all of Paint mixing. you cant replicate sun fade in a paint can.... The guy who's done all my paint matching and body repairs in the past has been doing it for years and specializes in classics and high end show cars HATES doing cars in red unless its a complete respray...

heres some of his work
WRX (he did all the body work, base-coats, and the 11 layers of clear coat to transition from the hand-painted body to make it feel smooth as glass

heres a 67 Malibu he just finished...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
heres some of his work
Johnny didn't shoot your red car did he?

For the record if anyone has seen TyCZ28's thread about his repaint...I'm not the crappy painter that has done his cars. LOL
Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Teching In

CO99z28Vert, what shocks and springs are you running? Looks real good.

On the red issue, I've restored the paint on mine. Claybar, rotary, and wax. It looks 20x better than the faded paint. I think the "pigment fade" was hazy clearcoat. Ty, did you use a cutting compound on the rest of the car that wasn't painted?

A friend of mine that worked at a body shop is going to do all of it for around 400..
Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

johnny did one red bumper for me.. the only way we could match the bumper was to have the paint shop spend hours mixing and spraying test panels of base and clear and tint the clear to replicate the pigment fade.... its not the clear parsay its just how red gets sun-bleached out of the paint... also when you punch in a paint code the computer brings up a minimum of 5 different variations of that same code. if the cars paint is in good shape and not out in the sun regularly and you do a solid color correction most of the color will look ok but you cant put pigment back into it. also i may have been misunderstood on the clear coat thing... older clear coats had a different appearance to them... naturally old clears are "clear" like you would assume... just make sure they spray alot of test panels and compare in the shade and the sun to see if the color matches..

Quick Reply: Quarter panel damage