use sealer, dont listen to the other guy that effed up his own paint job
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only need seaker if I.use a 2 stage?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My entire front end, bedcover & tailgate were painted without a booth, good timing, a little luck, & good buffing skills.Rest painted in 99'in a professional shop on a saturday.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a clean environment and don't have access to a paint booth just do what I have done...build one yourself.

You can build one for just over $100 and as a added bonus you can always take it apart and use it next time. Go to home depot or lowes and buy yourself 1" (2" pipe will be more stirty) PVC pipe and plenty of fittings to build a 10FT x 20FT frame. Then buy a roll of 6mil thick clear tarp (10ftx100ft), a bag of zip ties and 3 furnas filters.

Once you got your frame up cover it with the clear tarp and use the zip ties to secure the tarp to the frame. You should now have a sealed booth. I hosed the inside of the booth down with a garden hose because of the dust that the tarp picked up from when I was cutting it on the floor. Once you have a sealed booth, cut out a few square shaped holes on the walls of your new booth just a tad smaller than the filters. Then place the filters on and use duct tape to hold them in place. The last thing you want to do is make a door out of cardboard and duct tape it to the side of the booth. This way you have a easy way in/out. Having a extra pair of hands will be very helpful.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I painted my bumper, hood and fender in my cousins garage, it was filthy. There is no dirt in the paint though. I still didn't get around to buffing and sanding the final product but the thing your gonna get is orange peel because there's no ventilation. Get as many fans as you can!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Not having ventilation may cause it to die back or let the over spray lay on top and cause it to look dead ... but orange peel is caused by volume and air pressure. I've painted in booths that turn out worse jobs than painting in a desert storm. A bad booth can be way worse than no booth ... if you don't build a make shift booth I recommend doing it in a fairly open area on a calm day. Use some big fans to pull out the overspray ... may want to put paper on the floors instead of wetting them that way your not sloshing water around ... both ways work if your careful. Try to pick a day that's not very humid. Its always humid here so I try to paint in the mornings if possible .. one of the most important things is to make sure your reducers and hardeners are the correct temp and be sure to obey the paint flash times... ask whoever you buy the paint from to give you them manufacturers procedure pages for the produc
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the tips guys!

Quick Reply: paintimg without a booth...