Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

El camino

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default El camino

I figure with all the shitty paint and that, I'll be taking it to get an acid bath. any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails El camino-elkie.jpg   El camino-elkie2.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by trevmust; 08-29-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

bathe that ******!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured sandblasting wouldnt be good enough hahaha
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soda blast it.. it will remove every pit of paint and such without damaging any of the metal or anything.. and its easy cleanup...
Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The place I would take it bathes it 3 times and washes it out with distilled water between stages. Paint removal, rust removal, zinc phosphate coating. That way I dont have to paint it right away.

Not trying to.shoot you.down, but where I live id have to buy everything myself and blast it myself. And soda doesnt touch rust. The main.perk.i see concerning the bath is coating the inside of the frame so it will never rust.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is cut straight from a sodablasting website on their process, soda blasting is easy on the metal and they switch to sand when they have rust that needs to be removed. i presonally like the soda because it leaves a very thin filmy residue that will help to keep the bare metal from rusting while you go to work on it... My resto guy usually had the whole car blasted and the rust sandblasted then he shoots the whole car in 2k primer so he can work on it without going backwards.

"Sodablasting will remove light surface rust only. We normally remove all the Paint, body filler and undercoating by sodablasting. Then in areas that are rusted we will use a very fine abrasive to remove the embedded rust. With this procedure we spend very little time with the abrasive. Removing all the coatings prior to using the abrasive dictates that we spend less time on the surface removing rust. This limited time allows us to safely remove the rust without damaging or warping the metal."
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The zinc phosphate is the same kind of coating porches habe, their bodies usually only rust if they get hit or improperly repainted.

From what i've heard bathing and blasting cost the same. I'm stripping the car myself and transporting it to the place that bathes the cars, which should significantly reduce the cost. Although likely i'll just be getting my gas money back lol
Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Glad to see another El Camino on the site
Mine is in the process of getting a crappy paint job right now because I don't have the money to strip it and start from scratch. I'm hoping in a few years I will have a place I can work on it and take it apart.

Jessica
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love the cali editions with the reverse cowel induction hoods etc. Not sure what they are called, but my old man has one with a built sbc, 3000 stall, built turbo 400 trans etc etc and it hauls, and really used to turn heads when he dd it. Good luck op .
Old 08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just another thought for budget's sake, while using aircraft stripper is pretty nasty stuff, doing it yourself would give you a good downpayment on paint supplies. How much will stripping run you?
As far as not stripping down an 80's elco, they do seem to have a decent base primer on them as compared to older cars.
Is nice to see another elco on here, been busy on my custom front lately.
Other pics in photobucket link.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont care if it costs $5000, I want it to last for a looonngg time lol. the main reason I want to have it bathed is because of their zinc phosphate step. I want my frame to not fall apart lol

Quick Reply: El camino