Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

DupliColor spray can Paint Products- (Best of info) What you can expect.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DupliColor spray can Paint Products- (Best of info) What you can expect.

This Forum is is devoted to the DupliColors spray can products and what kind of quality you can expect from this product.

I have search through the post here on duplicolor and did not find the information I was looking for.

-True ability to match color
-Quality of finishes
-Lifetime expectancy.
-Outcomes of touch up painting. (Before and After pics)
-Any outcomes of full body parts painted? (Before and After pics)

If you post here please either have information about personal experience outcomes or a question, not opinion.
__________________________________________________ _________________

My 2000 Z28 is getting an aftermarket fiberglass hood, aftermarket front air dam and as destiny would have it I just messed up my front bumper cover. (Low speed collision into a tow hitch) So it needs to be replaced.
I have been considering doing a FULL duplicolor paint job on these parts and wanted to see if anyone has used duplicolor spray can method to this extent with good results.

When I illuminated the (CAMARO) lettering on the back, I used dupli color met. black on the whole piece and was not satisfied with the finish. It's in-between a flat and a 2 stage paint. Shine with a cut and buff maybe?

Anyways, I will keep things posted as I go along.
Share your pics/ experience.
Attached Thumbnails DupliColor spray can Paint Products- (Best of info) What you can expect.-img_1127.jpg  

Last edited by LSXSpeed007; 09-05-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Dupli-colors paints a LOT with my car, though for the most part I always use their "universal black" and clear top coat, both of which have always been great as far as quality goes.

I just used their Perfect-Match line for the first time, using their GM specific "bright red". I used this for my engine bay repaint. You can check my pics here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ngine-bay.html Love the finish, lays down nice and smooth, and matched perfectly to the car. I chose not to clear, opting for the factory look, which I actually prefer over a glossy finish
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

I've had good results aswell. Once the clear cures after a few days I always go back and hit it with some 2000 grit and then buff it out. Produces a real nice finish. Somewhere I have pics of a pair of mirrors I did that ill try and find
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

This is the black mirror after the clear has cured for a few days. Looks worst in the pic than it really was but you get the idea

During the wetsanding process

This is what it looks like during the buffing process. I polished it by hand starting with rubbing compound,polishing compound, ScratchX 2.0 than followed by wax. You could probably make the finish even better with something like Meguirars m105/m205 and a actual buffer. I just used whatever products I already had on hand

Here's a final pic of a mirror I did using their "Perfect Match" Pewter paint.
As you can see, you can get some very good results but I would stay away from larger parts(hood, fenders, etc) only because trying to keep the paint going down nice and even and consistant is kinda hard with cans.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Adding to the thread here, there is a post on pro-touring.com where someone used dupli-color engine enamel for window trim,. Another posted that it never chipped off his wheels
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a large car part such as a hood it will be difficult to get an even coat with spray paint

I would suggest doing the under side of the hood first
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 PM

I did a little pre paint and found that the paint builds up on the tip and drips- 5-10 second intervals then wipe off the tip.
Attached Thumbnails DupliColor spray can Paint Products- (Best of info) What you can expect.-img_1528.jpg  

Last edited by LSXSpeed007; 09-07-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: (No Picture)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

had chrome rocker panels on my 2500 and when I removed them it took paint with it. I used the perfect match victory red and clear and u can't notice by just lookin u really have to inspect it that bein said iv had mud thrown on it and pressure washed off and still goin good after two years sittin out side I suggest it. I also done my bowtie around the same time and it gets rocks bugs and watever else thrown at it and looks great still.

Quick Reply: DupliColor spray can Paint Products- (Best of info) What you can expect.