Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trying to match pewter... omni, ppg, or give up?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Trying to match pewter... omni, ppg, or give up?

I just bought a superhawk hood for my Trans Am and I'm about to have it painted by a friend of mine. I've also got a small scratch on my quarter panel behind the fuel door and I'd like to delete my antenna. Before I have him sand my quarters down and be stuck I want to make sure the paint has a good chance of being the right color. Also how about omni paint? I work in a carquest and most of the time they say the omni isn't exactly a perfect match but the ppg is. Is that the case with pewter? THe reason I even brought up omni is because its significantly less expensive. Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

omni is a much cheaper line of paint, thats why it doesnt match. deltron has a decent match with the pewter. if i remember correctly go with the standard variant. if they have the chips at your work just pull them and check them out.
its still best to blend your fenders when doing a hood, that way you know for sure there wont be color issues. guess it just depends on how picky you are, lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thay are just trying to sell the higher cost paint. truth is.. your painting somthing thats 10-15 years old and has been sitting in the sun. its not going to match just by panel painting idc what people say. the best and ONLY way to match paint u especially a light metallic is to spray test panels and tweak it till its perfect.. even if it matches in the can metallics spray put much different than when they are in the can so you cant get a match based off that. i just had my hood and spoiler done and i will say it matches pretty damn good for panel ainting and i havnt even compounded and cleaned up the rest of the paint yet. once i do that it will match even better

heres mine with hood and spoiler resprayed

BTW i used Transtar base and Transtar Motor-City clear (4 coats of clear wetsanded to level out were the manta stripe is

Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not picky but at the same time I don't want it noticeable from 30 feet away. If the omni would be in somewhat the same ball park I'll just go with it and later on have the entire car painted. The hood being a different color doesn't bother me but I don't want a 2 shaded quarter panel.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omni is thin and takes a bunch of coats.. We use transtar because it has good colors and its a really thick base. we mix it 1:1 and its still thicker than most paints and covers good. and the paint i used on that hood and spoiler was just based off the paint code and it matched close enough that we just went with it. if your gonna use somthing more expensive id go with a higher PPG or a dupont chromabase maybe a Nason (dupont) paint. the transtar was verry reasonably priced also. a quart was about $70
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

The carquest I work at mixes the PPG and omni was the reason I wanted to go with it. The omni I can get for basically nothing and PPG I think was going to be around 70 a quart since we didn't stock one of the colors we needed to mix it I'd just have to pay for whatever we didn't all ready have. As long as he does a few extra coats will the omni be ok? What about the blending on the quarter panels will it be close enough in color to blend on the quarters with it?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

what it comes down to is your painter needs to take the time to make spray out cards or "test sprays" get the color your actually going to use as close as you can. then its up to your wallet, and the quality of job you want to blend the adjacent panels. there is no way to ask a bunch of people on the internet if its going to match.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Spray some pieces to test, when you think you have it blend it in to the fenders and if its off a little bit thats fine you wont be able to tell.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM

I just painted a bed on my P/U and it's Pewter. There are tons of variances with pewter, It's a tough color to match. The paint shop asked me for my VIN # and they mixed Chromabase for me and it matched my 2000 chevy pretty good for panel painting. I also did some dent work on my cowl induction hood and blended it, and it looks good. Stay away from Omni or Omni Plus with Pewter. they are ok for complete paint jobs but not that great for blends. Omni plus is a better alternative of the two if on a budget. You will use a lot more paint with Omni because it doesn't cover as well as PPG, or Omni Plus, so really you don't save as much as you would think because you use more product because of coverage issues.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Its basically me and a friend that knows how to paint so we don't have extra paint to tweak it with. If the omni doesn't match I'm just going to paint the hood black, sail panel black, re do the ceta the same color and leave it alone for a while. Later on I'll paint the entire car and delete the antenna then. Thanks for the help everyone. Oh and I actually got the pewter for free so if it doesn't match I'm not out anything.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some paint stores have a camera that takes a scan of your current color and then that automaticly gives the paint mixer a code. This will be your closest match without panel testing and adjacent panel blending. On a hood I would defenitely blend into the fenders. The hood is one of the main "attention getters", especially on a Superhawk. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omni is ppg. Its just their low cost line. I paint for a living and you can use omni if blending. I sprayed my mystic teal metallic z that has 3 different pearls and is a high metallic color. I sprayed it with omni base and omni plus high solids clear and it looks perfect. I have also sprayed deltron panel painting and dwltron didnt match. Also using a profit machine for color matching doesnt work either. A profit machine is a starting point to tint from. Imo if your spraying the quarters and the hood ur not much off from painting the car complete... because once u have the hood and fenders blended and quarters done all u have left is the doors. Also keep in mind that color match on the bumper too against the hood. The bumper should be done for it to all be perfect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to match pewter... omni, ppg, or give up?