Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Peeled paint on hood, need a temp fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Peeled paint on hood, need a temp fix

Last summer I was washing the car at the car wash and the pressure sprayer lifted a chunk of paint on my hood right where a rock chip was You can see some other chipped spots in the pic. This hood has never been repainted, it is factory paint.

I'm planning on getting the whole car repainted at some point for several reasons (minor repairs + new hood and spoiler, plus matching MTM isn't easy from what I understand), but that won't happen for at least another year. Until then, I'd like to do something to at least keep the paint from lifting more on this spot, if not be able to blend it in some.

Would just shooting some rattle can duplicolor over it (if they even make MTM), or at least clear coat over the area help hold the paint edges down? Or something else? Or am I just stuck with it gradually peeling worse until I replace the hood and get it all painted? The replacement hood has a bad white pain job currently, so it would look pretty bad if I just stuck it on there right now

Please ignore the dirt on the hood in the pic - the car has been sitting all winter.

Attached Thumbnails Peeled paint on hood, need a temp fix-paintpeel.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it has been painted to me. i dont recall ever seeing white sealer on a factory hood. but anyway back to the question, theres not much to do other then touch it up with a brush or something. at least you dont have to worry about rust.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hood is sanded and im waiting for a paint job next month. So I just plasti dipped the entire hood flat black. Turned out better than what it was.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is the standard light gray stuff under the paint, just my cell phone camera with sun glare makes it look white.

bestlude, you've given me an idea. Maybe I should stick my replacement fiberglass hood on it and use plastidip to make it black. I wonder how a matte black hood would look on a MTM car.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

ohhh i got ya.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just leave it, the primer/sealer will prevent rust
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know it won't rust, but that light gray spot is such an eyesore

I figured there probably wasn't much I could do about it, but thought I'd check.

Sure hope I can get a house with a garage soon, then next year get the car painted.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

is the rest of the car so bad that it needs paint? you can always just strip that hood and paint it. just blend the fenders and your good to go. detail the rest of the car.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3gensoffs
is the rest of the car so bad that it needs paint? you can always just strip that hood and paint it. just blend the fenders and your good to go. detail the rest of the car.
Well, here's the list:

Sail panel is starting to bubble all over and needs replaced
Front bumper is peeling in several spots and needs completely redone
Rear bumper is cracked and scuffed up from a previous owner mishap years ago, needs at least repaired if not replaced
Hood is being replaced with aftermarket fiberglass
Spoiler is being replaced with an aftermarket
Installing a 6LE DE exhaust valence

That really only leaves the fenders, doors, quarters, and the hatch itself, all of which would need to be blended when repainting all the other stuff. Then take into account some other scuffs and scratches over the years and a couple minor dings in the quarters and I think it probably makes more sense to paint the whole car instead of trying to blend everything. Plus I'll get the underside undercoated too.

I may be yanking the stock grille in the bumper and filling the holes when I do all this. Not sure if I should go for the smooth look and fill the Camaro lettering also or get inserts for it.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

don't plasti-dip the whole hood, sand the edges down to feather it in then spray "stripes" using plasti-dip along the line of what I just mocked up in this MS Paint modified picture.
Attached Thumbnails Peeled paint on hood, need a temp fix-2179768536_f17ccce1b4_o.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will sell u my stock mtm hood for cheap... its in great shape
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I plastidip anything it'll be the other hood. Probably will just leave it alone until I get my new fiberglass hood painted and installed.

Black99TA, thanks but I don't really want to buy yet another hood to have lying around in a year

Quick Reply: Peeled paint on hood, need a temp fix