Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Pontiac Blue Engine Block/Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Blue Engine Block/Intake Manifold

Any of you guys done this? I have a 30th anniversary and was thinking of painting the engine block and/or the intake manifold Pointiac blue. I thought it would be a cool touch to my TA. I'm always about personalizing it, without modding the **** out of it and ruining the anniversary edition. I was thinking of painting it the lighter blue seen in the stripes and stitching, then got to thinking the original Pontiac blue might look sweet, but I'm not sure...since it's pretty much sky blue.

Anyone have pics they could post if you have done it?

What do you guys think? Looking for opinions

Happy Friday!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regular paint to the best of my knowledge wont work on the block. I dont think the paint will hold strong with the heat. Consider powdercoating it or have someone that has experience do it good. A good example are the LSX blocks.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Regular paint to the best of my knowledge wont work on the block. I dont think the paint will hold strong with the heat. Consider powdercoating it or have someone that has experience do it good. A good example are the LSX blocks.
I would you engine block enamel
Old 03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 30bandit99
Any of you guys done this? I have a 30th anniversary and was thinking of painting the engine block and/or the intake manifold Pointiac blue. I thought it would be a cool touch to my TA. I'm always about personalizing it, without modding the **** out of it and ruining the anniversary edition. I was thinking of painting it the lighter blue seen in the stripes and stitching, then got to thinking the original Pontiac blue might look sweet, but I'm not sure...since it's pretty much sky blue.

Anyone have pics they could post if you have done it?

What do you guys think? Looking for opinions

Happy Friday!

There are actually 2 different shades of blue that Pontiac used over the years. The lighter blue was used from the late '50s, through the early '70s, then they switched to a blue that was more like the "GM corporate blue", which they used through the end of the Pontiac V-8s, which was in '81.

A good engine enamel, like Dupli-Color, should work for you.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My past few combos

Newest is a Holley Hi Ram..Im sure it will be Pontiac Blue as well..

Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
There are actually 2 different shades of blue that Pontiac used over the years. The lighter blue was used from the late '50s, through the early '70s, then they switched to a blue that was more like the "GM corporate blue", which they used through the end of the Pontiac V-8s, which was in '81.

A good engine enamel, like Dupli-Color, should work for you.
I noticed a difference actually when I was googling it. Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if people were just painting their blocks a different blue or what. I like both, I feel like the corporate blue would match better with the blue in my anniversary, but at the same time the "true" muscle car era blue, would be the pontiac blue. Decisions decisions
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 AM
Teching In

God damnit that looks awesome!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but would this be similar to the duplicolor DE1616 engine paint?

Last edited by Fosnot; 11-03-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pontiac Engine Block Blue - thru the years

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
OP -

There are a bit more than just 2 Pontiac "Blues"; here's a great link:

http://www.pontiacpower.org/enginecolor.htm

FYI - My 96 LT1/4 block, valve covers, and intake are all 59-65 Classic "Robin's Egg" / Pontiac Blue.

(I like it, but then I put a 74' Green bird on MY hood too, so what do I know...)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it on my LT1, The first pic is my latest revamp which is a little more accurate color than my first attempt. The next few pics are my last setup. The new theme im working on is gonna be alot cleaner. All pontiac blue, black and gunmetal... lot less going on this time around.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That pic with the FAST and the valvecovers looks SICK

Quick Reply: Pontiac Blue Engine Block/Intake Manifold