Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Stripping/Painting C6 Wheels Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripping/Painting C6 Wheels Advice

Hey everybody! I had some questions as far as the corvette C6 wheel goes. I had tried before to refinish them and remove all the curb rashes. Had everything sanded down primer went on fine and smooth. Then sprayed Duplicolor silver wheel paint on and got small bubbles and looked like the paint was lifting in some areas. So I just bought a used wheel off eBay and kept the other as a spare.

Well now I am wanting them gloss black and to fix curb rash. So I am asking:
- how can I strip these down to bare metal?
- are they powder coated?
- are they magnesium or some weird metal that I need to seal before painting
- what "strippers" haha, have you guys had the best luck with?

P.S. I have refinished several sets of wheels in the past but something was different with the c6 wheel that the paint would not cure properly....

Last edited by pemberton; 01-16-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done several sets of wheels. if they are the factory painted wheels then they would be powder coated..if they are polished then they are just clearcoated. as far as stripping them you can go to a auto paint supply store and get a chemical stripper that is safe for aluminum. but in my opinion the c6 wheel is a simple enough design I would just use 180 grit or 320 grit on a da and sand them all the way off. but once you have the wheel down to bare aluminum you will have to first use a etch primer. then use your normal primer then color and clear. but if they are in good enough shape you can just scuff them up with red scotchbrite and primer them and paint them. you only need to etch primer them if you go all the way to bare metal.

now your issue with it bubbling sounds like you didn't clean the wheels properly... I would wash them with dawn dish soap before anything. then if you chemical strip them then wash again with dawn after. and no matter what before painting you need to clean them with a wax or grease remover...

the issue with it lifting sounds like you may of waited too long between coats or maybe did too heavy of coats.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks!!! I couldn't get through the oem paint worth a damn so I figured it was powder. But I did have it cleaned well and a good portion of the powder of and block level really good. I'm gonna try it again and take it down to bare metal, etch, primer, base tho. That should get rid of my problem what ever it was.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM

if finish is good sand an paint.. only prime areas if sanded through...more paint lends itself to chipping easy so keep it as thin as needed to cover then clear coat...

Quick Reply: Stripping/Painting C6 Wheels Advice