Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painted Car with spray paint "Go easy on me"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ where you pricing plasti-dip cans at? they're 6 bucks a can at the home depots around me, but it doesn't matter because you don't want to do a whole car with cans, you want a sprayer setup for that, cans are for small things like wheels and CETA mods.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Teching In

At the home depot here in jersey. Yeah I know that's why it's coming off in the spring I was just bored and figured I would give it a shot. Turned out decent enough compared to where it started at. I knew what I was getting into before but I like to try something's first so I have a better understanding. But if anyone has any tips I'll give you my address so you can send me money to paint it
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Teching In

doesnt look too bad
Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great given the budget and what you started with.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys I know it's not perfect. It doesn't compare to real Automotive Paint but the previous way looked even worse. I'm always honest with people when they ask I never tell them otherwise. Come spring I'm upgrading to a wsq hood and 6or splitter. But for today it's time to change the plugs and wires..................
Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

when i was younger and broke i painted a new to me cowl hood to match the car as best as possible with cans of spray paint. 6 months later i prepped the hood for paint. everywhere the spray paint was the paint fisheyed. i had to stop at that point let the paint dry and then take it back down to the original base. i hope you have better luck than i did.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

well it def shows you have passion for the car. and I would take that paint job any day over a three colored car. overall I would say doesn't look soo bad and good job*
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

What you did is just going to make it way harder for the professional painter to do a good job. Real automotive grade paint does not like cheap spray paint. Its going to cost you more in the end. It was a bad choice, you live you learn. I've painted cars for 16 years.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kylew707
if its only temporary, why didn't you just plastidip it?
+10000?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Transamkid
That being said I'll prob take everything back off in Spring and go over it with real Automotive Paint. I was going to go with viper metallic blue but after seeing this white and black scheme I'm leaning more towards this.
Leave the GTS blue pearl to me...

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
Why oh why would you use an enamel of all products? Much, much sanding is in your future! Also, it's going to be difficult to get anything non-enamel to stick to it. Now all the error and blotch will show through to the next paint job. You seriously just made painting that car 10x more difficult.

I'm not usually this harsh, but I don't understand the strokefest going on in here. Why provide accolades for high school sophomore level work. I'm all for the DIY spirit, but this has gone wrong.
I pretty much have to agree. You have zero clue how much hell you'll go through because you wanted to temporarily spray paint it. Take it from me, in my high school years my car needed a full paint job and did it myself. My mistake was listening to some idiot painter that said primer in a spray can was a good idea. That ruined an otherwise decent fresh paint job. The new paint didn't bond well to the primer.

Moral of my little story? I spent over 4 years and hundreds of hours sanding off everything I applied and then some to start fresh the proper way after learning a VERY hard lesson.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

All considered.... it doesn't look bad.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Yeah fir some reason it never crossed my mine at the time to plastic dip the whole car? Oh well I only put two and a half coats. After the second one it was covered well enough so I just did touch ups. There wasn't any need to put like 6 coats on because I'm taking it off in 3months anyway. Plus the hood and rear bumper are getting replaced anyway. I bought two electric sanders and other stuff for stripping the paint down. I plan on taking a day or two to remove it. When I say day I mean taking vacation days from work. Starting at 7:00am and finishing at 9:00pm taking two 1hour breaks. Now that I have access to a garage and air compressor I might just paint this car myself. But we will see how good I feel about it.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
What you did is just going to make it way harder for the professional painter to do a good job. Real automotive grade paint does not like cheap spray paint. Its going to cost you more in the end. It was a bad choice, you live you learn. I've painted cars for 16 years.
This ^. Granted it looks better than a three colored car but its going to cost you a lot more in the long run. Never use cheap spray paint when you're going to have it professionally painted anyways. Going to be a lot of labor hours involved to get it right.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

This is really impressive I was expecting a lot worse
Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it doesn't look too bad, I hope it works out when you do the final paint.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not nearly as bad as I expected. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Wondering how it looks close up though.

Quick Reply: Painted Car with spray paint "Go easy on me"