Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Car Accident - Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the vette wasn't a red vert then I might lean that way but thats like asking to be harassed by cops, I get enough of that in the bird, I just don't like red on cars anymore.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZEEYAL8R
take advantage of the wives pitty and get into that vette, your first project can be ditching all that woodgrain! to hell with high mileage cars unless you really really enjoy the wrenching.....its a sports car, if my z had 140k on it that would mean it was floored about 70,000 times. lol. maybe 1400 brake stands, etc etc.

my lt1 car with 45k miles on it, near mint, was 6250, if your dead set on the swap, grab a mint lt1 car and swap your stuff over, then you got a low mile chassis as well. you could drive the lt1 car, while you build the ls stuff
Haha, I was actually kind of digging the woodgrain...
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

vette looked orange to me, i better eat my carrots.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big_g
Haha, I was actually kind of digging the woodgrain...
hey man, its your ride not mine! i love the woodgrain in my ram 3500, but my camaro is not classy, its a sinister i will eat you alive in your sleep if you eff with me vehicle. (not really, but i like to think of it as so) LOL
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Buyback came in at $2500. From a financial standpoint, I suppose for that price I ought as well buy it back and part it out, huh?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

if you have the time and space to bother with it, then yes.....that car is a dream come true for someone looking to do an LS swap into a 3rd gen.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

if you have the time and space to bother with it, then yes.....that car is a dream come true for someone looking to do an LS swap into a 3rd gen.
I have more space than time, but I love a good project. Of course, the neighbors will be thrilled with my wrecked car sitting in my yard slowly losing pieces...

I'll probably break down in tears a few times as I tear it apart...
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $2500, I'd certainly think it'd be worth your time. Hell, complete drivetrain should go quickly to someone doing an LS swap. Hood's worth some coin, wheels/tires are worth some coin. That's fairly quick work to get those items off and for sale, and I'd think those alone should pay for the buyback price.

If possible, I'd just strip everything of value off of it, offload the big items (like mentioned, drivetrain, hood, wheels, get the interior too) and then scrap the rest. Minimal time investment and should make some coin to mod the replacement vehicle a little.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

If you've got interior storage space then you should be able to strip the good body panels and interior in a weekend, you could "firesale" the drivetrain at the buy back price and someone would be all over it in no time or you could ask more easily, hoods another 700 (last I looked), wheels at least 800 (more if tires are in good shape), combo the hood with the rest of the front end for someone doing a 93-97 front end swap and your talking over a 1,000 easy, doors 50-100 a piece, interior like a 100 bucks a door panel, 6-700 for leather seats. totally worth it if you got space to store stuff and once you get it striped down to the shell you still got another 100 or 200 in scrap value for the chassis.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So, $13000 - $2500 = you keep the car and have 10,500 to play with even before parting out the car.

Shoot. That's pretty good.

Dang it if I had the money (and the place) I'd buy the powertrain, harness, cluster, and the interior guts to swap into my car.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Cool. Alright I'll go ahead and get it back then.

You all will probably see me posting in the Parts Classifieds section here pretty soon...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

if you get another bird or camaro you can let your car live on so to speak and transfer the wheels and tires to it, LOL just a thought, im a sap.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Launching!

if you get another bird or camaro you can let your car live on so to speak and transfer the wheels and tires to it, LOL just a thought, im a sap.
Yeah, I've been looking for either another T/A or a Vette. But there are only so many nice-looking, automatic, white, grey interior, and under $6,000 T/As left out there, you know? Bums me out man, I loved my car...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've been looking for either another T/A or a Vette. But there are only so many nice-looking, automatic, white, grey interior, and under $6,000 T/As left out there, you know? Bums me out man, I loved my car...
before I got my firebird I had 2 94 accord's when I wrecked the first one (that had a nice grey leather interior) I bought another one that had the cloth interior but was otherwise the same car and just swapped the nicer interior and all my aftermarket parts over to it, it was actually cheaper to buy the second accord then the cost of the repairs from the total of the first one.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
before I got my firebird I had 2 94 accord's when I wrecked the first one (that had a nice grey leather interior) I bought another one that had the cloth interior but was otherwise the same car and just swapped the nicer interior and all my aftermarket parts over to it, it was actually cheaper to buy the second accord then the cost of the repairs from the total of the first one.
I found a single nice white 99 TA in Tucson with 140k miles, but the seller is, well, not too motivated to sell...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

I found a single nice white 99 TA in Tucson with 140k miles, but the seller is, well, not too motivated to sell...
OK, so lets lay out the numbers
13,100 minus whatever your deductible was
-2,500 for the buyback

thats 10,600 minus your deductable

so we can safely assume you have atleast 9,600 to work with.
this leaves you with several options.
1. find a roller or v6 car and either swap everything yourself or pay a mechanic to swap the entire drivetrain.
2. Buy another T/A (or even a Formula and swap the T/A body panels) here is one I found near you http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4116285332.html and sell off the rest of the parts after you have combined together the best pieces of both cars.

if you go option one this can also be a chance to build the motor up some while it's out of the car, like if you get this one http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/4203695007.html thats 1500 (would talk him down) then even at a high end estimate of 1500-2000 to swap everything from the airlid to the rear axle over your at 3,500 on the high end and still have 6k you can put into mods and fixing the paint.

if you go option 1 then you can just pocket the 3k plus difference between what you got from the insurance and what the one I linked above is asking and sell off whatever parts you don't use between the 2 of them. to make more money off this situation.

remember your wrecked car has like 5 grand worth of parts on it easy. you could even hold on to your lower mileage motor/trans setup incase something tears up on the one you buy, thats what I had done before I decided to sell my second accord.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

you got 6k left over when its all said and done, part out the t/a keep what you want for the next ride, hopefully you still make 4k on the part out, after keeping what you want, now you have 10k for your next ride. i really really really would stay way from high mile or beat down cars. thats just me. chances are a high mile or beat down car has been in a kids hands in the last few years at least..........some will disagree with me, and thats fine, but sooner or later they will see why. the faster you part the ole girl out the faster you got 10k to get a new ride!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
2. Buy another T/A (or even a Formula and swap the T/A body panels) here is one I found near you http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4116285332.html and sell off the rest of the parts after you have combined together the best pieces of both cars.
Haha, that is the car I was talking about. I'm not going to pay him $6500 for it though. I offered him $5600. Then I'd swap all my stuff in and then sell his 140k motor, which he says runs like a champ. But I don't think he'll take my offer.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, that is the car I was talking about. I'm not going to pay him $6500 for it though. I offered him $5600. Then I'd swap all my stuff in and then sell his 140k motor, which he says runs like a champ. But I don't think he'll take my offer.
I wouldn't see him going that low, maybe if he had the factory wheels he could put back on and keep his chromed out wheels you might have a chance but you are getting very close to part out value here, there is a reason you don't see sub 5k 98+ T/A's regardless of mileage.

Quick Reply: Car Accident - Advice???