Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How can this clearcoat damage be fixed and what should I expect to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How can this clearcoat damage be fixed and what should I expect to pay?

Can anyone give me some insight on how this clearcoat damage could be fixed and how much I should expect to pay? This is the factory original paint job, and this is on the roof. Not sure why it's doing this only in this spot mostly, but it is.

I'm hoping there is a way for someone to sand the old clear off in this area and blend in some new clear and black if necessary. I don't care about perfection. I just want it to look better and not be a lump of touchup paint, which would be my method.

bigger versions of these pics:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...27947982_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...39367186_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...51279030_o.jpg

I figured I should get some knowledge before I start calling painters, as the entire car obviously does not look like this. It's been garaged almost the entire 18 years I've had it.

bigger version
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...60100264_o.jpg
Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the whole roof needs to be repainted.price depends on location
id charge $300
Old 11-14-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you don't have bubbles...
Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's not a way to just touch it up? Seems like there should be. When cars get damaged in wrecks, they blend the paint onto existing paint somehow without sanding it down and starting over and it looks okay.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Launching!

do the whole roof, above estimate is very fair.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Gotta scuff and spray the entire roof for a repair that will look factory and hold up well. Otherwise it's a **** poor patch job that will eventually fail in another location near the same spot..
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately there's really no corners to cut here, if they sand those spots down, paint, blend, and clear the whole roof you'll be back at square 1 if it starts in other spots. Have the roof stripped and resprayed and never worry again
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not that bad yet, so i would also save up and do the whole roof. My ws6 hood was way worse, and they charged me around $100 bucks to paint it. Now it looks as good as new.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

save for a whole roof repaint. That's the only way it'll have a clean permanent fix. Car looks damn clean though dude for an LT car
Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Roof will generally be under 500 to do the whole thing prices vary. Especially this time of year when work starts to slow down and shops get hungry the prices will fall just to get work in the door. Its not a big expense considering you don't have to repaint the whole car.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think what I'll do is wait until it's worse before worrying about repainting. It's such a small amount of damage.

I ordered a Fix It Pro pen from an ebay seller in China for 99 cents and free shipping though. I watched some YouTube videos of mostly idiots who thought it was going to magically fill in base coat paint loss. Sometimes I can't believe there are people that dumb. There were a couple video reviews where the people just used it on clear coat scratches, and it worked to some extent. Most people put way too damn much on like they were caulking a bathtub, so of course it was noticeable.

I then read an article Popular Mechanics wrote where they tested one on a '96 something-er-other in 2009, and they said something along the lines of "on areas where there were scratches and chips where only the clear coat was missing, the clear resin in the pen did fill in the damage making the damaged clearcoat less noticeable than without." That's good enough for me.

I have my old, damaged side mirror from my GXP still that was knocked off by some other vehicle while my car was parallel parked. I'll test it on the scratches on that and see if it's worth trying the pen on the Z28. If it's not... it's only 99 cents down the drain.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

another option is get it vinyl wrapped in gloss black
Old 11-18-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's an interesting idea for hiding it until the rest of the roof looks worse to make it worth repainting...

If the Fix It Pro pen does any benefit (if I end up using it on the roof), I'll be sure to post a pic. I'm sure with it coming from China with free shipping, it'll be another 2 or 3 weeks before it arrives. I hope it comes sooner than that because it's still warm here in Texas and it's supposed to be applied in warm weather.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

My clearcoat started lifting like that on the front bumper. Eventually I will need to get it repainted, but for the time being I have been keeping it from spreading by dabbing clear nail polish over the bad spots. It won't hold up to sun very well after about a year, but it will keep it from spreading and looking worse.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm hoping that the Fix It Pro's clearcoat resin will do exactly that. I'm too cheap (and/or not rich enough) to pay for the roof to be repainted at this time just because 1% of it looks bad.

Quick Reply: How can this clearcoat damage be fixed and what should I expect to pay?