Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Another rust thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another rust thread...

Awhile ago I was under installing the exhaust and noticed some rust beginning to form on the rear near the frame rails. I've read up on many threads discussing how to handle their rust situations, as well as reading up on the products as well. Attached pictures of the rust. It's all surface rust, I just want to get prevent it from spreading.

I've researched two products, POR-15 and Rust Bullet. POR-15 is the mechanical blocker, painted on the rust. Rust bullet is chemical, and needs to be applied to bare metal. If my understanding of the two is correct, which of those two is my best option? Is there a third option? Could I do a mix of both? Rust bullet as a base then rough up and apply POR 15? Anyone whose dealt with this before have any recommendations.

I have an angle grinder and can attach a wire cup. I'll be doing all the work myself, and don't really want to have to take it in anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails Another rust thread...-imag0069.jpg   Another rust thread...-imag0067.jpg   Another rust thread...-imag0064.jpg   Another rust thread...-imag0063.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not too sure on that but just as a heads-up, be prepared for it to possibly turn into a bigger job than you may initially think. I just went through some rust cleanup on my Trailblazer (granted far worse than your car) and it is amazing how much more there can be behind what you actually see.

Good thing is you probably don't have it rusting thru from the other side given it is the floorpans. Although the subframe rails could be (my 98 rusted on both sides of those pretty badly).

Not trying to scare you but just wanted to be sure you're prepared.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The true fix is to cut it out and weld in new panels. Try grinding it though then apply POR-15 like you said.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Ya hopefully it won't spread to the frame rails... They all seem to be free of rust... The pics are actually a lot darker than in reality. Some of those look a lot worse than they actually are...

Also, should I try to do the dual rustbullet por-15 treatment? Or just wirewheel and apply the por-15. Would It be a good idea to spray the por 15 all over the frame rails and the inside of them as well? I keep thinking I'm going to seal in residual salt or something. Am I good to just spray it everywhere on the bottom? Or will it have problems bonding to the paint?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're going through the trouble and you're in an area prone to start rusting cars, I'd coat the whole thing. Inside and out on the frame rails and everywhere you can.

When I get my car repainted I want to get the underside all coated with something like POR-15. I don't drive my car in the winter but it still sees the occasional rainstorm or other wet weather.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good, hopefully I won't have to drive the car this winter. Every year there is always something that comes up where I have too. Really sucks.

Still wondering what everyone thinks about the dual rust bullet/por-15 treatment. If I'm taking it down to bare metal, i figure I might as well use the rust bullet. Then use the POR-15 to blanket cover everything.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check under your back seat the lt1's tend to rust under there by the rubber body grommets
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used POR 15 to paint the underside and it's messy stuff if you get it on your skin! But I've been suggested many times to use Waxoyl to spray into door seals and cavities & would probably work really well to get inside the frame rails.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I do not miss living in the rust belt. When I was young my Dad would spray used motor oil on the underside of our cars and drive them down a dusty or gravel road. He said it was a poor mans undercoating. I always wondered if that worked. He said it didn't hurt.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Well my project took a turn for the worse. Pulled back the carpet to examine the floorboards and found more rust on the top passenger side. It's right on a lap joint with metal underneath so I can assume its rusted all the way through...

Doesn't seem like wire brushing and applying por15/rustbullet is going to be solution. Am I going to have to cut this out?

Also, would it be best to try back-plate welding the gap shut? Or cut and fit one then weld it in?

I guess I've also never seen this, but what gauge metal is the floor boards?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Wow I do not miss living in the rust belt. When I was young my Dad would spray used motor oil on the underside of our cars and drive them down a dusty or gravel road. He said it was a poor mans undercoating. I always wondered if that worked. He said it didn't hurt.
I would think it would to some extent, but not sure how long it would last.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have any input on backplate welding it shut? Or is it just best to get some metal and try to cut to size?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

POR-15 all the way. I don't know about replacing the metal though.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
Does anyone have any input on backplate welding it shut? Or is it just best to get some metal and try to cut to size?
If you want the rust to stop, you need to completely cut out the rusted metal and weld in new. Remember, what looks like a small area, can get big pretty quick once you get to good metal. Good luck...
Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Default Rust

I have used both POR as well as Rust bullet.. they are both great products in my opinion. If in the sun POR has to have an additive added. Rust bullet you can apply wait about 6 hours and apply body filler right on top. You can also apply Rust Bullet over rust they guarantee it for 10 years.

In your case I would cut out the rusted area and replace it. Also you can get CPS for the frame rails and spray after welding up repair area.

Quick Reply: Another rust thread...