Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

wax job gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Thanks for posting my Z.
I just left a guy house that do buff work..... told me for 60 bucks he can help the geo paint come to life. I'm now waiting on a warmer day :-)
Old 12-24-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Thanks for posting my Z.
I just left a guy house that do buff work..... told me for 60 bucks he can help the geo paint come to life. I'm now waiting on a warmer day :-)
That's a good deal.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I put a buffer on ANYTHING, I always wash the car to strip off all the old wax and contaminants, and then go over the whole car with the clay bar. Failure to do that before running a dual action over the paint will result in the buffer rubbing all that **** that you think you got off by just washing into the clear and paint, thus causing more damage than before you started. If you don't think the clay bar is a crucial step, run your hand over the paint before and after claying it and feel the difference. Also take a look at the clay as you're doing it. Just make sure your guy knows what he's doing. I know the car aint no prized possession, but it's still your car and you care about what it looks like.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Before I put a buffer on ANYTHING, I always wash the car to strip off all the old wax and contaminants, and then go over the whole car with the clay bar. Failure to do that before running a dual action over the paint will result in the buffer rubbing all that **** that you think you got off by just washing into the clear and paint, thus causing more damage than before you started. If you don't think the clay bar is a crucial step, run your hand over the paint before and after claying it and feel the difference. Also take a look at the clay as you're doing it. Just make sure your guy knows what he's doing. I know the car aint no prized possession, but it's still your car and you care about what it looks like.
Right. I was really hoping I could use dawn to strip the car. I tried dawn once..... maybe I need to try it again but in person it looks like a person waxed the car and didn't get all the wax off and let it sat into the paint.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You would think if that's the case it would just flake off when you wipe it with a microfiber towel. I've accidently left a section of wax on my car for several days and it would wipe right off. All the wax is supposed to do is haze up on the clear. It won't go into the paint. It has to be something else. Good news is if it's in the clear, buffing will remove it. It it is in the paint, you'll need a repaint.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You would think if that's the case it would just flake off when you wipe it with a microfiber towel. I've accidently left a section of wax on my car for several days and it would wipe right off. All the wax is supposed to do is haze up on the clear. It won't go into the paint. It has to be something else. Good news is if it's in the clear, buffing will remove it. It it is in the paint, you'll need a repaint.
Sent you better pics.....

Quick Reply: wax job gone bad!