Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ram Air Hood Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ram Air Hood Swap

I've been searching for about 20 minutes and can't find a write up for changing my 98 v6 hood over to a ws6 hood. I see two bolts per side near the cowl and two bolts per side by the hood struts. Is it that simple? And how do I go about making adjustments to it after putting it on.

By all means, if there is a sticky I missed, please post a link.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Its just 4 bolts that hold it on, as far as adjusting it... that takes time and beer. lol
Old 06-11-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by enigmah
Its just 4 bolts that hold it on, as far as adjusting it... that takes time and beer. lol
Yep, it's pretty straight forward for the swap. When you start adjusting the hood, leave the gas struts off and tighten down the four bolts just tight enough so the hood can raise and lower without sliding around, but loose enough that you can still move the hood around with some shoves with your hands. It took me a couple afternoons of fiddling with it to get it just right and I was lucky enough to have a friend come over with a factory WS6 for me to look at and compare with, but you'll get it straight eventually. It just takes patience!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I see two bolts per side by the cowl. I assume I get the struts off first (a friend said they are just clipped on there so I pull them off) then have someone hold the hood up while I get the bolts off near the cowl? By the cowl I mean the thing in front of the windshield of course.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeyofblades
Thanks guys. I see two bolts per side by the cowl. I assume I get the struts off first (a friend said they are just clipped on there so I pull them off) then have someone hold the hood up while I get the bolts off near the cowl? By the cowl I mean the thing in front of the windshield of course.
Yea, the gas struts have a little metal clip on them that you can just use a flat head screw driver to pry on and get them off. I just used an old broom stick to hold the hoods up and did it by myself, but a friend always makes things easier!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

After you're done moving the hood do you tighten to bolts down or leave them same tightness you were adjusting the hood with?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeyofblades
After you're done moving the hood do you tighten to bolts down or leave them same tightness you were adjusting the hood with?
After everything is moved into place, you'll want to go ahead and finish tightening down the bolts to keep the fitment correct.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood Swap