Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fiberglass questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question Fiberglass questions

I have a RKSport tonneau cover, for my 02 Trans Am Vert. The paint was chipping real bad so I sanded it down with a Dewalt palm sander. I got into the fiberglass on a few spots and along the edges. Before I repaint it, I was wondering if there was something, that I can use, to seal the bare fiberglass? i don't want it to start separating or soaking up water.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would think as long as you havent compromised the strength in the corners you should be able to just spray on a couple of heavy filler primer coats to fill in the holes then sand it flat. If your worried about separation maybe get some epoxy and hardener and use that to fill in the fiber holes before sanding and primer.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the post, Bro!

Can I get someone to confirm JaxCam02's post, thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

So no one else has any input?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My favorite product is evercoat g-2, which is a non shrinking fiberglass resin based polyester primer surface. Takes a2.2 or larger tip to spray it & about $80 bucks up per gal.

2nd best would be skimming the entire area with a high quality filler such as evercoat metal glaze.

One of the worst common characteristics of fiberglass is that it constantly shrinks throughout it's life, but more so when new, not older.

Standard primers will cover it nicely , but something will start to show through much sooner than with a better product. That being said, not as important if you won't have a show quality job & keep it for a really long time.

My hoods upper skin came off the lower skin @ 70 mph on I95 back in 2009. pieced it back together & did the custom addition to the front of it, which was primed & block sanded with g-2 before paint in march 2011. Some minor stuff starting to show up close, but pretty damn good considering. This is it last October.
Name:  DSC_0082_zpsc63317a4.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  159.9 KB

Little better answer your question??
Old 07-09-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh damn, both of you guys are here in JAX, lol... where's your shop jlcustomz?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You've either forgot or missed some of my other posts here.
Do some of my off vehicle work at my job's small shop work area & only have a carport & small sheds at home on northside. Painted the frontend at night (s) under carport.
Work for Ace Door Service as a day job. Decided against taking a lowly starting position at an auto body shop in the late 80's here.
No time to finish my own stuff after the day job.
I'd be dangerous if I had a real shop.
Best advice I can offer is always free though. Don't know everything I'd like to , but I squeak by ok in the custom world.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 07-09-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
You've either forgot or missed some of my other posts here.
Do some of my off vehicle work at my job's small shop work area & only have a carport & small sheds at home on northside. Painted the frontend at night (s) under carport.
Work for Ace Door Service as a day job. Decided against taking a lowly starting position at an auto body shop in the late 80's here.
No time to finish my own stuff after the day job.
I'd be dangerous if I had a real shop.
Best advice I can offer is always free though. Don't know everything I'd like to , but I squeak by ok in the custom world.

lol... yeah my brain is getting old and has been acting up lately, lol... Forgetting things before I can even remember them, lol....

Well okay then... my point in asking is because I was going to stop by with the covers and see what you thought. Yeah, it's too bad you don't have your own shop, because I think you would be doing some killer ****!

Oh... and I LOVE that SICK intake Bro! Pure SEX!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

not to derail but is that an el camino with a 5th gen front clip??? and how does that hood even fit over that intake!?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a real 5th gen fascia, with both it & the vehicle modified to fit it, done back in dec 09'. The modified hood front takes the place of the upper fascia, as 3rd gen Camaros were done.
The intake is an unfinished project, simply sitting on the ls1 intake during a show. The unfinished stainless steel/aluminum cross ram dual plenum intake draws your eye to it so much even a few professional mechanics have failed to first notice it's just sitting there.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass questions