Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice

Hey all,

So the paint on my Z has seen much, MUCH better days. Between the 3 billion rock chips in the clear, a couple of small dings, and a plethora of scratches, I'm beginning to feel more than a little bad whenever I look at it.

However, since the 6-8k required for a good paint job is going to performance upgrades, I thought I'd do the budget thing and wrap the car myself.

What I'm stuck on is, since it's so easy to change or modify the color of the car with a wrap, what color to go with.

I know I want to stick with black, but I'm torn between just gloss black, matte black, or a (potentially matte) metallic black. If I go the matte route, I was planning on off-setting it a bit with some gloss red decals (either a hockey stripe or race stripe up the hood).

Anyway, what are your guys' opinions?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cant go wrong with a vinyl wrap BUT be sure to do your research by watching videos, getting proper tools and understanding how the vinyl works.
I am wrapping my Denali with Avery Satin black vinyl and will never do another SUV again. The roof took me 8 hours to do due to how long it is with all the channels for air to get trapped.

You will love the finish if you go with a satin black but also take in to consideration that with matte or satin vinyl if and when you have to lift the vinyl to reposition or remove trapped air it will leave stress marks in the vinyl that can be seen up close but with practice these can be eliminated. Satin or matte finished show them a lot more than gloss.

Also you get what you pay for so stick with a well known brand like 3M, Avery etc etc.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-21-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-52-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-56-.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but how does one go about getting a good estimate on how much vinyl is needed to do the full wrap and who's a good vendor? I've been stuck on doing my car in gloss white with a black roof for a long time.

I've nearly pulled the trigger on the dip your car kits a few times, but I want something a bit more permanent.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I purchased mine from a seller on Ebay, I pm'd you his information.
They sell the rolls in 60" so take a tape measure and see how long your car is and do a rough estimate on how much you will need.
Order too much so you have extra and you wont have to wait for more vinyl.
I have spent about $750 so far on vinyl, nice variable heat gun, IR temp gun, razor blades, felt squeegee's, cotton gloves, prep cleaner and isopropyl alcohol, knifeless tape, 3m edge sealer, 3m primer.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
I purchased mine from a seller on Ebay, I pm'd you his information.
They sell the rolls in 60" so take a tape measure and see how long your car is and do a rough estimate on how much you will need.
Order too much so you have extra and you wont have to wait for more vinyl.
I have spent about $750 so far on vinyl, nice variable heat gun, IR temp gun, razor blades, felt squeegee's, cotton gloves, prep cleaner and isopropyl alcohol, knifeless tape, 3m edge sealer, 3m primer.
Thanks Man!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
Thanks Man!
My car is a convertible, so your mileage may vary with this.

I took a bunch of measurements and added (probably too much) to account for fit and such, but this is what I came up with:

Hood: 6x5'
Trunk: 6x3'
Bumper: 8x3' x2
Fender: 6x3' x2
1/4 Panel: 6x3' x2
Door: 7x3' x2

The widest roll you'll be able to get is 5 feet, so unfortunately that means that each piece is going to add to a length of roll. Ultimately it comes out to about 66 feet. I'm planning on buying a 75 foot roll (so I have extra if I screw up) and going from there.

I have samples on their way, I also thought I might buy enough for the hood or something to practice with, then go full blown and wrap it.

Need to do some body work and fix some minor dents on the 1/4 panels. Wonder how much a body shop would charge for that...

Edit: Found this after doing a search. I really like how the matte paint really makes the stripes pop...

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/20...ge-viper-wrap/

Last edited by HappySalesman; 07-20-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those measurements sound about right.
I ended up getting 60"x55ft and I may have to buy a little more for the body kit pieces.
But think about how much your saving by doing it yourself and again just make sure you get quality vinyl NO Ebay cheap stuff unless you want to run into constant issues and it wont last.
Use 3m primer over any body filler and edges where the vinyl is being pulled, it will help for longevity but post heating everything to 180-190 is an absolute must as well.

Last night I got the two toned hood done.
Attached Thumbnails Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-58-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-57-.jpg  
Old 07-22-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will love the finish if you go with a satin black but also take in to consideration that with matte or satin vinyl if and when you have to lift the vinyl to reposition or remove trapped air it will leave stress marks in the vinyl that can be seen up close but with practice these can be eliminated. Satin or matte finished show them a lot more than gloss.
Do you have any pics of these marks? I've been watching a bunch of videos and haven't seen any, curious as to how noticeable they are and what they look like.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will get some pictures tonight and unless someone zooms way in you would never see them on camera or video.
Also be prepared once you tell someone in person you have a vinyl wrap they will get a magnifying glass to examine every inch... Funny how people do that!
Same thing when you have a fresh paint job they feel the need to run their fingers across it. lol
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was really hard to get a picture of the marks I am talking about, also finger impressions due to not wearing cotton gloves on some parts.
On the hood/gloss vinyl you can see the stress marks to the upper right of the picture.
The other pictures show the stress/finger marks on the top of the door and roof.
Again a lot of people will probably not see it BUT its there and the only true way to avoid it is to try to get the vinyl pulled snug and flat before laying it down so you don't have to lift and reposistion but its easier said than done when your doing it yourself without help.
Attached Thumbnails Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-61-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-59-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-60-.jpg  
Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see what you're talking about. Fortunately i've shanghaied my girlfriend into helping me with it, so we'll see how that goes lol. And to be fair, those imperfections look extremely hard to see unless you're really looking for them.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can tell you that the paint on my Denali was a lot worse so I am extremely happy with the end results!

Good luck man have fun!
Old 07-26-2015, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going that route too, got samples and all then i didnt feel like going it..if you have the space you should definitely consider painting your car yourself vinyl wrapping (proper) is as much time consuming as paint probably and the price will add up if you mess panels. i myself LOVE military green its just so beautiful on Fbodys. goodluck!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As with anything preparation is key.
The reason my wrap has taken over 100 hrs so far is due to removing every single thing off of it and wrapping each body kit piece individually and edge sealing everything.
I was quoted over $3500 to have my Denali wrapped and I see why BUT they would not have gone as far as I am because it wouldn't be cost effective for a shop.
The professional wraps that I have seen locally only lay the vinyl over the whole sides of the car and trim to the edges without wrapping all the way around every panel. I don't like that idea because you then have exposed edges and a better chance of having the vinyl peel prematurely.
Anyways the cost of doing it yourself... $800 compared to a $3500+ for a shop to wrap it or god knows how much for a shop to paint is definitely worth the time and effort.

I love the challenge myself and I have zero patience so it has been interesting but the end result will be worth it!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As with anything preparation is key.
The reason my wrap has taken over 100 hrs so far is due to removing every single thing off of it and wrapping each body kit piece individually and edge sealing everything.
I was quoted over $3500 to have my Denali wrapped and I see why BUT they would not have gone as far as I am because it wouldn't be cost effective for a shop.
The professional wraps that I have seen locally only lay the vinyl over the whole sides of the car and trim to the edges without wrapping all the way around every panel. I don't like that idea because you then have exposed edges and a better chance of having the vinyl peel prematurely.
Anyways the cost of doing it yourself... $800 compared to a $3500+ for a shop to wrap it or god knows how much for a shop to paint is definitely worth the time and effort.

I love the challenge myself and I have zero patience so it has been interesting but the end result will be worth it!
same here, i love doing stuff for the sake of trying new things. its definitely doable your car is huge though lol the more curves it has the harder it gets. well have fun and make sure to post your results!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely made a **** ton of work for myself.
I got all the body kit pieces wrapped and post heated today and finally figured out how to fully manipulate the vinyl with heat (as to not overstretch) to conform to deep crevices and curves like the running boards. All the sharp corners got easier once I figured out how to wrap them smooth.

Anyways so far so good and I gave myself a deadline of 2 weeks lol.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally like the 3m orange metallic and the brushed black steel wraps..

Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
i personally like the 3m orange metallic and the brushed black steel wraps..
I like the metallic orange (can't say I'm much of a fan of the brushed steel) but I think what really makes it work is the black trim that accents it on the vette. Unfortunately on our cars we don't really have much in the way of that, save a grill in the front and maybe some sidemarker lights.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the Denali all wrapped up.
You will be extremely happy with vinyl, a lot of people think its paint so that makes me happy!
Attached Thumbnails Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-75-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-77-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-86-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-87-.jpg   Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice-fullsizerender-81-.jpg  

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts

What is the time frame on the life of the vinyl from peeling, sunfade etc??

Quick Reply: Going to wrap, want opinions on color choice