Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

options on taking side trim off trans am

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default options on taking side trim off trans am

hey guys, really wanting to take the side moulding off my trans am but what are my options if the car has been repainted?? just stick it back on I assume? or shell out money for paint on a "free mod" lol
I doubt it would be repairable with buffing would it?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So your saying the car has already been repainted? If so they should have taken the molding off and reapplied it.
Once you remove the molding, you may or may not need to buff. When I did mine I just needed a little goo gone and Windex with elbow grease to remove the dirt outline.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

depends if it was sprayed with the trim on, take off one of the smaller pieces on the quarter panel or fender and see what you've got, you could probably tell if the trim was on when painted by looking closely at the tape behind the molding before you pull any pieces off.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Launching!

that is what I planned on doing Daniel, but I was wondering if anyone has ran into the issue of the car being painted while the trim was left on and what they went about doing to fix it or if they just stuck the trim back on
Old 08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
that is what I planned on doing Daniel, but I was wondering if anyone has ran into the issue of the car being painted while the trim was left on and what they went about doing to fix it or if they just stuck the trim back on
depends on how good a match to the original color the re-paint is, you would expect to see or feel a ridge which in a worst case scenario would need to be wet sanded down and buffed out, but if the shade is far enough off (like if the car was painted a different color entirely) you would either need to reinstall it (the cheap option) and have the lower half of the doors resprayed to blend it in, which probably wouldn't be worth it.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

This happened to me when I took my trim off. I had my quarter panel repainted and they left the trim on while they painted it. There was an indent that wasn't too noticeable so I just left the trim off.

With that being said, it still aggravated me, and if I had that indent all the way around the car I would have just left the trim on.

Quick Reply: options on taking side trim off trans am