Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New car, metallic paint not smooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New car, metallic paint not smooth

Hi, New to this place....

Got a new, 2015 Honda Acoord last week, metallic silver paint. Unlike my recollection with new cars in the past (white, beige, maroon), this one, when I move my hand on the paint — it's not smooth, it feels almost like a very fine sand paper, and I'm wondering, is it just the lack of washing the car before delivery, or is this the nature of metallic paint? The car was assembled in Ohio in May, so it was sitting on the dealers lot for about 3 months.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

I would start with washing it and see where it's at after that.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Yes, sure, it's just that the car is NEW, looks like new, and doesn't show any need for a wash....
Old 09-02-2015, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New car, metallic paint not smooth

Wash it then use a clay bare in a spot that fills bad. Then check it if it is smooth after the clay then chances are a detailer at the shop got overspray on it very common. Hard to see but you can fill it. "Detail clay" will take it off your paint should be smooth and needs some kind of protectant applied after
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Teching In

The car ingeneral, no matter where I check, is not smooth... Brand new car, so I really don't see why I should do anything! But I'll take her to the car wash nearby. I was just wandering if metallic paint feels different than a non-metallic.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Default New car, metallic paint not smooth

It's base /clear. Clear is the top coat. Clear is smooth. It has something on it. But yea I would make them fix it. It's new so take it to them
Old 09-03-2015, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

new car=dealerships problem. roll back up and hand them the keys and say fix it.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tbird31
new car=dealerships problem. roll back up and hand them the keys and say fix it.
I'm gonna take her to the carwash first (too hot and sunny now, I prefer to wait a couple days when it cools off, I know it's not a good idea to wash a car on a hot day) and then inspect the paint... My 10-year old white Sonata is dirty, but when i touch the paint it feels smoother than the week-old Accord...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird31
Couldn't have said it any better*
Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Teching In

OK, woke up early (I was really worried!), took the car for a wash at the nearby TurtleWax place, AND THE CAR IS SMOOTH AS EXPECTED.... So I don't know, but I can only guess the dealer didn't wash her before delivery, since it's hard to believe that few days of normal driving in the suburbs of Chicago would contaminate the car as much...

...Thanks for your help, guys!!!

BTW, spent some time last night on this and other forums, reading some HORRIBLE stories about Honda's paint quality (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86...at-issues.html), some also referring to the very car we traded in, 10 years old, garage-kept but out in the sun/snow most of the day (a 2005 Accord EX-L V6) —— which had NO PAINT ISSUES WHATSOEVER...

...Is there an issue I should worry about?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldnt be too worried. Check out a few car detailing forums and youll see that even brand new cars suffer from terrible paint maintenance from dealerships. Some people even refuse to let the dealership or any other place wash their car because they dont do it properly.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Teching In

So I washed her on Friday morning. Saturday we took her for a 150 mile ride up North into Wisconsin, along Lake Michigan, not the most polluted area in America, I can only guess... By the time we came home there was a light clear spray evident on the windshield, which I was able to get rid of with the wipers, and laying my hand on the paint — it was not as bad as when I was first alarmed, but certainly not as smooth as it was after the wash the day before...

...Maybe I'll just stop checking. Life is too short to worry about it, I guess...

Quick Reply: New car, metallic paint not smooth