Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

best thing to use for buffing after wet sanding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default best thing to use for buffing after wet sanding?

I wet sanding the rim on my fusion with 1500 then 2500 and then used a turtle wax polishing compound to buff it (by hand). But it still has a haze to it. What's the best stuff to use? I heard something called m105 is really good. Any one have any experience with it? I also want to wet sand the rear bumper of the TA, that thing is a shelf for dirt.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

This is what I use after wet sanding metals and it turns out like a mirror

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

I should've mentioned the rims are painted a silver color lol
Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If buffing paint, the m105 you're referring to is the 1st of 2 stages of Meguiars compound, meant to be followed by 205. They'd be fine.

different compounds vary in how coarse or fine they cut, but your buffing pads also make a difference in cut.

There are also different coarseness foam pads which cut hard to final buff. Different companies have different color codes , most ending with black as the final. Wool buff pads are considered old school these days, but they cut pretty fast, also require more skill not to burn through with.

There are different sizes of all these things & specialty shapes for odd jobs. You didn't mention buffing tools, which I assume you probably don't have any. Rotary tools cut faster, but orbital is better for final buff. Whole nother subject here.....
Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

The best tool I got is elbow grease lol and for pads and things like that I was just using microfiber towels. I do actually have a rotary buffer, I believe 8", but I'm not really a big fan of it to be honest. And it definitely wouldn't help me on the rim. But you seem to know you're stuff ! Which I like hah
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mezzoni
The best tool I got is elbow grease lol and for pads and things like that I was just using microfiber towels. I do actually have a rotary buffer, I believe 8", but I'm not really a big fan of it to be honest. And it definitely wouldn't help me on the rim. But you seem to know you're stuff ! Which I like hah
If you have a drill you could use that foam red cone I posted and it should generate enough heat to get the haze out. Go over your rim using the foam cone with Meguiars 105 then 205 and I think you will get what you're looking for.
If ya could post up a picture of the rim so we can see exactly what you are working with
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

These are the rims on the car. It's an old pic so I don't have a current one of the haze on the rim but it's not drastic, but if you're looking for it you can tell its there and it doesn't have the same sparkle and reflectiveness. I think you're right that the cone would work well here. Now if only I had something to easily clean the pockets of my rims on the TA...
Old 07-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

3m compound #1 and 3m polish #2, also using a buffer or like the red foam on a drill will be easier and faster. They can get it hot faster and easier then your hand can
Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price of 3M is usually at least twice as much as Meguiars, for the cost of 1 bottle of 3M you should be able to buy both bottles of Meguiars. Meguiars is almost as good as 3M but the Meguiars has a tendency to cake up requiring a spray of something to remove. So Meguiars working time is lessened but you can get the same results so IMO it's not worth it to buy 3M unless you have a hook up.

Quick Reply: best thing to use for buffing after wet sanding?