Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting just driver door (black 8555)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Painting just driver door (black 8555)

Hello guys. I have a 2001 WS6. Its black code 8555 very popular. When I bought the car the driver door had a 3.5" crack in the skin the crack started at the top of the door where the w/strip belt attaches in front of the mirror then down along the door vertically. I had the crack repaired 2 years ago. Along with the fender and quarter blended and cleared.

Now the crack is slowly coming back. I am purchasing a used door this time. Would I be ok to paint just the door since the fender and quarter was blended and cleared? The whole car shines awesome its my baby I think it would be ok. Looking for some opinions, also how much paint and clear should I get for the door. Thanks fellas!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a metallic? Is the used door already black or does it need to be edged? If it's straight black, I'd just panel paint it, but there are a number of varities of black in todays paint world. I'd think a pint of base (quart sprayable after reducer) and a quart of clear (up to two quarts sprayable after activator) with activator would be plenty.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it is just the oem black, no metallic. I feel as though I should be good to just paint the door. Cause when I bough the car I wet sanded an buffed the car and it all looks shiny, even after that door was repaired the first time.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I believe the door I'm getting will need edged also.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to panel paint it, and want it to be perfect, find out what paint manufacturer the body shop uses and see if they will give you the variant they use. If they won't give you the variant then at least find what brand paint they use and go to paint supplier and have them match the paint variant. I spray Sikkens and 8555 has about 6 variants, my step dad sprays Spies Hecker and 8555 has about 10 variants, some will notice the difference and other won't.

Quick Reply: Painting just driver door (black 8555)