Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

okay couple more questions... what should I use to get the rest of the entire surface sanded? what I mean is I already used the shortest hard block I have. There's so many different contours and shapes here how do I get them all? I assume inside those small areas I'll have to just do it by hand but what about the larger surfaces?

And once I figure out how to sand the entire surface, do I want to go on to 400, then 600 before applying any primers or sealer?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Worked on the shiny spots a little more. Still not 100%

Old 11-17-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good. Don't sand anything finer than 400 grit. Honestly, 320 wet is fine for this stage. You aren't really perfecting anything, you're just creating some nice "tooth" to the surface so that the paint will stick. Once all the shiny stuff is gone, you're set. Make sure to wash it like I said in my previous post and dry before you shoot the next coat.

I don't know about needing another sealer coat, I'll let the experts weigh in, but since you are painting over an existing job that should have its own sealer, I'd think you can skip straight to primer. The underside of the hood looked a little light though, so maybe you'll need to create a base there. Once you lay the high-build sanding primer down, then you can start to perfect things and get surfaces blocked out. If you wish to hold creases in your hood, like the center spline or the faux intakes, you can use vinyl tape like they use to mask off flames. Get a few widths, as fatter will make straighter edges for you, but thinner can take tighter turns. Any automotive paint store will carry this tape.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Looking good. Don't sand anything finer than 400 grit. Honestly, 320 wet is fine for this stage. You aren't really perfecting anything, you're just creating some nice "tooth" to the surface so that the paint will stick. Once all the shiny stuff is gone, you're set. Make sure to wash it like I said in my previous post and dry before you shoot the next coat.

I don't know about needing another sealer coat, I'll let the experts weigh in, but since you are painting over an existing job that should have its own sealer, I'd think you can skip straight to primer. The underside of the hood looked a little light though, so maybe you'll need to create a base there. Once you lay the high-build sanding primer down, then you can start to perfect things and get surfaces blocked out. If you wish to hold creases in your hood, like the center spline or the faux intakes, you can use vinyl tape like they use to mask off flames. Get a few widths, as fatter will make straighter edges for you, but thinner can take tighter turns. Any automotive paint store will carry this tape.
I've been thinking the same about the Epoxy. It sounds like it is used more on bare steel than over an existing finish like I have here. But again, I'm just trying to learn something here.
Eastwood says there 2K urethane is a "sandable primer which allows for leveling out imperfections typically sprayed over epoxy or self etching primer."
Polyester primer they say "Think sprayable body filler"... The trick the pros use to get laser straight body panels and a killer paint job in the end.
Sooo, I'm still confused on which to use.
Like I said in the beginning, this VFN hood looked really nice before, unfortunately it was red instead of maroon already. Which brings up another concern ... its fiberglass. Anything special or different procedure for that?

Quick Reply: changing color on hood