Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Yep, another sail panel bubble thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yep, another sail panel bubble thread

Well, I think I'm ready to replace that often talked about sail panel on my 2002 T/A.

Of course, other than pulling one off an older car, the only available on is from 6LE.

There are many discussions about this replacement panel (ie: poor quality,
poor fit). Most of these discussions are pretty old and I really haven't seen a too current one.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this panel from 6LE??

I would really appreciate some feedback before I plunk down this money.

HELP PLEEZE
Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced mine with a 6LE one about 3 years ago. A+ on everything, no one would know unless I told 'em

I have pictures of it in one of those threads.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

From what I read the 6le panel was reworked a bit to give a better fit and finish a while back. I haven't seen any complaints on the newer version other than long wait times and the prices. I've been eyeing the carbon fiber one but can't justify the price.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

^ same here
Old 04-10-2018, 06:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I had a local (top tier) body shop put the fiberglass panel on last year and it's great. one of the corners lost its adhesion and started to come up, but my shop stood by it and fixed it for free.

Hopefully mine will hold up long term... I don't think my issue is one of the part, but if the installers followed the very detailed instructions that I provided them. (I think that's a key point. No body shop is going to be able to look up the instructions in their "books", so you will have to provide specific instructions to them on what needs to be done with the priming, adhesive, etc.)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I THINK I feel better about buying it. I'm a retired "old fart" and can be skeptical about wasting a lot of money. I read a bunch of forum discussions about poor fit and poor quality, bad and irregular edges, so that's why I reached out to the LS1 community.

Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought the 6LE about 4 years back and finally put it on last summer. I do recall one of the corners had a bit missing (it sat so long so I can't blame 6LE), but the shop that did the priming and painting sanded and smoothed the panel and filled any cracks/imperfections. Looks great now, no bubbles and factory fit/finish, more impressive considering I glued it myself.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,239 Posts

If you are worried about fitment and cost of the reproduction panel, you could always source a used panel from a 1993-mid '98 model (examples in that year range were not affected by this condition). They all fit the same, and then you'd have an OE part. Not sure what the scrap yards are like in your region, but some folks are still able to find these cars in such yards and pull these panels off for very little money. Of course, this is a bunch more work, but it's the only "cheap" option. Sometimes used panels come up for sale in the classifieds as well, that should also be cheaper than buying new but not as cheap as removing one yourself.

Just another option to consider if the 6LE piece is outside your budget.

Also, I believe one or both of the corner pieces have since been discontinued, so your originals may have to be reused.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you are worried about fitment and cost of the reproduction panel, you could always source a used panel from a 1993-mid '98 model (examples in that year range were not affected by this condition). They all fit the same, and then you'd have an OE part. Not sure what the scrap yards are like in your region, but some folks are still able to find these cars in such yards and pull these panels off for very little money. Of course, this is a bunch more work, but it's the only "cheap" option. Sometimes used panels come up for sale in the classifieds as well, that should also be cheaper than buying new but not as cheap as removing one yourself.

Just another option to consider if the 6LE piece is outside your budget.

Also, I believe one or both of the corner pieces have since been discontinued, so your originals may have to be reused.
Appreciate your reply RPM WS6. I agree with you about removing one from an earlier Firebird but most of the reading I've done (and it's been a lot) so many people have said how difficult it is to remove it without damaging it, and about the difficulty in doing so.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by TNMIKE
I read a bunch of forum discussions about poor fit and poor quality, bad and irregular edges, so that's why I reached out to the LS1 community.
I think this is one of those situations where the "poor fit and quality" is likely due to the level of craftsmanship installing the part. This is not a stamped metallic part and molds for fiberglass parts deform over time...

So, it takes a skilled mechanic and probably an artisan to install.

This is not something I would do myself, even if I had a little bit of body experience.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing is going to fit like an OEM panel.

I was one of the first to put a deposit down on the reproduction hardtop panels that 6LE was making years ago, unfortunately he didn't get enough people to get them to production that time around. With that being said I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 6LE panel, it seems like a lot of people have had good luck with them.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wssix99
I think this is one of those situations where the "poor fit and quality" is likely due to the level of craftsmanship installing the part.
There is a lot of truth in this.

On my '02 car, I was lucky enough to get a factory replacement panel (before they were discontinued). I was even lucky enough to get a local GM dealer to cover the repair free of charge (the car was right on the border of the 6 year corrosion/rust-through warranty - I had a great relationship with my dealer and they managed to get this pushed through). Their body shop did a decent job but it wasn't 100% perfect, so a keen eye could tell that it wasn't quite right in certain spots. Can't really blame the panel for installer error (though it's also possible that even some OEM replacement inventory could have been flawed). Either way, some of the reproduction panel fitment concerns are likely the result of flawed installs as mentioned above.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Again, thanks for all the responses to my thread. After reading all the negative comments about 6LE about taking your money and not shipping items in a timely manner (several people saying several months) and basically being lied to as to availability and time of shipping I can't justify dealing with them. Also, getting in touch with them is obviously an issue, which I have already experienced.

Oh well, as they say, back to the drawing board
Old 04-12-2018, 06:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Again, thanks for all the responses to my thread. After reading all the negative comments about 6LE about taking your money and not shipping items in a timely manner (several people saying several months)
I think a lot of these people aren't reading the instructions...

For some things (like this part), one may wait for months. The site says that and we are warned through the purchase process. Not all of these body parts are stocked. Some are only made in small batches. So, some need to be custom-made and some will need to hold for a batch.

For example, the part you are looking at clearly states that delivery takes 5-6 weeks.

In the case of my roof/hoop panel, I had to wait for several weeks and it shipped freight, straight from the manufacturer. No problems. If you are expecting the Amazon experience here, you won't get it. Given the age of your car, this is going to be an often recurring theme...
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

if you are worried about purchasing it directly from 6le but want that part id keep an eye on the sales section and purchase it from someone who never installed theirs. They pop up on occasion. I teter back and forth on getting a carbon fiber one since I have a black car
Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Last night sent an email to Mark at 6LE about my concerns and their issues.

Got an "automatic" reply from him saying he has been out because of the death of a close friend but will be back in the office on 4/11 and will reply to the 400 emails he has been sent as soon as "humanly possible".

Last edited by wssix99; 04-12-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: inappropriate symbol removed
Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Last night sent an email to Mark at 6LE about my concerns and their issues.

Got an "automatic" reply from him saying he has been out because of the death of a close friend but will be back in the office on 4/11 and will reply to the 400 emails he has been sent as soon as "humanly possible".
This is the point.

We rely on individuals who make one-off parts for us for very niche applications for cars that are long discontinued. (Some are from a company that doesn't even exist any more.)

If your expectation is that you can get everything you want for this car on your own schedule and should be dealing with large companies, then you are either into the wrong car, need to adjust your expectations, or deserve to drive your car the way it currently is.

6LE isn't putting food on the table every night by custom-making F-Body roof panels. If it were a profitable endeavor, you'd see them everywhere, or the manufacturer would sell them along side all the other products they make and sell directly to the public. (they don't.)

I'd suggest you use this as a litmus test for your expectations:
1) If a part you need is made only by one person, then treat them like a member of this community.
2) If a part you need is offered in identical forms by multiple companies, then proceed as you normally would in a typical blind commercial situation.*

* Note, you will still come across some vendors that offer commodity products but operate their business as 1) and do so by offering differentiated service and advice/experience.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How the heck do you get the old panel off anyways?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Save the manuals!

I believe the instructions call for running a piano wire behind the panel.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
How the heck do you get the old panel off anyways?
There are several how-to write-ups (and even a video) in the applicable sticky thread at the top of this section (within the first post).